The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 26, 2009, 08:25 PM   #1
fortkevin2

prices of 223 brass

What would you guys say that the going rate of 223 brass is going for these days?

My buddy wants to give me some cash and 1200 once fired 223 pieces of brass and I'm trying to see if I sold them, what their value would be so I can give him a price on what their worth. Thanks!
Old October 26, 2009, 09:03 PM   #2
bullspotter

I just looked up some auction prices, looks like about $55-65 per 1000 for cleaned brass, one guy had 1500 brass for $105. Im sure others may chime in also. What kind of brass is it?
Old October 26, 2009, 11:23 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

In 1000 quantity, Scharch charges twelve cents per case for once-fired military brass that has been cleaned, re-sized, trimmed and had the primer pocket crimp removed so you can reload it. I would say all that extra work is at least equal to the cost of the brass itself, so about six cents is the maximum I would expect to have to pay for once-fired brass. That is right in the middle of what Bullspotter found for cleaned brass. I would think you might be at more like four to five cents per case for uncleaned cases.

Additionally, in selling, you take the risk of not necessarily getting the price you expect and you have to give up the time and effort needed to sell it and pack it up and ship it. That should discount the brass from your friend further, since, if he is trading it for money, he should be expected to contribute that selling effort to get you the money he owes you, or else to compensate you for the effort with a further discount. I suppose I would be willing to pay three cents a case to him under the circumstance that I got dirty brass and the selling and its risk and delay in receiving the money are going to be on me. It depends on how close a friend he is. If you are going to that extra effort as a personal favor to him, that's different, of course, and up to you.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle