The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 16, 2005, 03:20 AM   #51
38SnubFan

If loaded, the Bersa .45 ACP loaded with 8 rounds of 165-gr. Hydra-Shok, with Weirauch .38 Spl. loaded with 6 rounds of Hornady XTP 125-gr JHP, and a speedloader of the same as backup.

Otherwise, it's just the .38.

I also have one of those cheapo LED flashlights. Mine's a Garrity with attachable red or blue lenses. Paid $13 at Wally World, but I like it since it focuses the light more narrowly rather than floods the room. I, too, don't want to be on the receiving end of it. (I've used it for a bore light when cleaning, and have been blinded on more than a couple of occasions )

Looking to add a shotty and AR/AK to the collection, but for now, the first loaded gun I can see and grab is gonna be the one that gets used.

-38SnubFan

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men and women stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -A token of appreciation for the good cops.

"Good cheer and steady aim are always fashionable."

"Will...if need be!"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΑΛΒΕ!
Old June 16, 2005, 05:30 AM   #52
VirgilCaine

Winchester Defender .12g w/ Federal 00 buck
If it gets really bad, I keep my SKS and my Izmash/EAA Saiga in a secondary fall back postion.
Old June 16, 2005, 07:04 AM   #53
bclark1

probably p99 .40 with 165gr hydrashoks, as i've had it the longest and can shoot the best with it. that would be what gets me to the safe. once i'm at the safe it's the mossberg 835 with 3.5" federal 00 buck.
Old June 19, 2005, 06:31 PM   #54
Easy E

Kimber Pro carry is on the nightstand.
If things are real bad I go for the Garand.
Old June 19, 2005, 06:41 PM   #55
CarbineCaleb

Tactical ice axe

Well, since I got rid of my Beretta, it's either a S&W 617 .22 revolver loaded with cheap range hollowpoints, or my old ice axe that I keep under our bed (looks roughly like this ) :
Old June 19, 2005, 08:37 PM   #56
grimjaw

Right now all I have that's reasonable to use in my apartment complex is a Taurus PT-22 loaded with HP's. I have a Marlin .30-30 lever and .22 semi-auto that would need to have rounds chambered. Also rely on the stout LE-type club beside my bed that I've had since college. Even with my weak arm, that thing hurts, best thing I've ever found in a gun show.

I dig the ice axe.

jmm
Old June 20, 2005, 10:19 AM   #57
Glenn E. Meyer

AR-15 with tritium night sights and a Surefire 9P attached. No offense but I prefer that to my 1300 Defender.

Of course, one can't carry this around , so I usually have a handgun immediately available.
Old June 20, 2005, 10:30 AM   #58
bclark1

lol ice axe. since we're not allowed to have guns "accessible" in our cars, my two main lines of defense are probably:

and

now try to tell me you don't want to clean up gunshot wound when those are the alternatives..?

i certainly didn't buy them as defensive tools, i just keep a bag of woodsy-tools around, but it's all i'd have if i needed something.
Old June 20, 2005, 11:06 AM   #59
sm

Typical me

Steve here is gonna to think outside the box.

Everyone's "Home Defense" or "Office Defense" differs. Apt in the city, or home out in the country. Is one's office in the city where one is apt to have valuables, or the barn on a ranch.

My number one defensive weapon is a handgun concealed. I base MY choice on my life experiences over many many years. My main concerns were leaving, entering premises and answering the door.

Now once inside the "home" or "business" I usually / do have a stock shotgun loaded most times with slugs.

First I gotta get to and from the premises. I am not / was not allowed to walk around with a 12 ga shotgun - though many times I wish[ed].

So I wear concealed a handgun while in the home, and out in the yard. A 12 ga or lever action 30-30 does me no good if I go to the clotheline, piddle in the yard and am confronted, if I fall asleep in a chair reading and the patio door is busted into ( as happens around here) , if I am cooking, the CCW does not bang the stove , get caught in the fridge or get into the spaghetti sauce...long arm in my small kitchen just won't do.

I do not want to scare the beejeebers out of the pizza delivery person or the workman knocking on the door...with a long arm in hand, or in site when I answer the door.

I know from experience what works for me.
Old June 27, 2005, 07:21 AM   #60
big daddy 9mm

right now its a....

mossberg 500A 12 gauge with 2.75 buck shot in it.
WANNA MESS??????
Old June 27, 2005, 08:11 AM   #61
ron8903

Sig P226 on night stand/speer gold dots.
btw no kids at home.Sig stays unlocked.
Old June 27, 2005, 03:14 PM   #62
QuickTrig

I have a Ruger P95DC, Condition 2 with Hydra Shocks, in my night stand. A loaded second mag is with it. Next to those is a flash-light, and my cell phone.
Old June 27, 2005, 04:17 PM   #63
12-34hom

Home defense?

Stevens model 67L - 12guage - Federal 2 3/4 inch #1 buckshot.

12-34hom.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.