The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 2, 2016, 02:11 PM   #51
Boncrayon

Which would you pick for woods carry

By far the 1911 with the correct ammo. The 40 with more ammo in the magazine is fine, but you could also practice with a second magazine to reload...only if the bear is getting close fast. As for ammo, I'd suggest Hornady Critical Duty for penetration. Perhaps your secondary CC 40 would also be appropriate as a backup. Some areas in the highlands of Arizona requires at least a .357 or larger as a side arm in case of a meeting with a bear!
Old March 2, 2016, 03:00 PM   #52
Hiker 1

Different versions of this question get asked a lot. I think it depends on what you mean by "woods carry".

Camping trip with the fam or deep backpacking trip solo or with a buddy?
Hiking or walk to your fishing spot?
In Alaska, Colorado, Texas, Tennesse, Washington?
Woods/trails just outside city limits or deep in national forests?
Old March 2, 2016, 03:04 PM   #53
Hiker 1

My Walther holds 13+1, my 1911 holds 8+1. A .40" 180gr fmj has roughly the same sectional density of a .45" 230gr fmj, and a .40" 200gr lead bullet has roughly the same SD of a .45" 255gr lead bullet.

In an attack situation, those extra 5 rounds (with the right ammo) may be invaluable. There probably won't be an opportunity for a reload.
Old March 2, 2016, 08:31 PM   #54
Kreyzhorse

Which one do you shoot best? Which one are you the most comfortable with? Which is most reliable?

Both are good choices and there really isn't a right answer. I'd chose the 1911 but I'm very comfortable with them and shoot them well.
Old March 2, 2016, 08:48 PM   #55
shafter

Based on the information you've given I would go with the 1911 and load it with some hardcasts if your gun will feed them. Capacity won't be much of an issue, very fast and accurate hits will be.

That said, it's highly unlikely you'll need it for bears. I would be far more worried about humans and considering that I might go ahead and load self defense ammo instead.

I wonder if forums about boats and fishing have shark threads all the time?
Old March 2, 2016, 09:00 PM   #56
shafter

Quote:
The last thing I will use is bear spray. What if the wind is blowing, and just because the animals eyes are burning and nose is burning does not mean it will stop it. I would think the pepper spray would make it even more angry. Adrenaline especially that of a high willpower beast can completely block out pain or even non functional organs. A deer can run 200+ yards with a large hole in its heart. I wouldn't risk "burning" an animals eyes and nose as defense. I would much rather put a hole through the skull, you have to aim the gun or the spray, ID rather be sending a bullet down range than some peppery mist
If it works on bears the same as it does on humans I would rely on it if I knew the wind would be in my favor. It does more than just "burn" the eyes. It gives you the snottiest nose you'd ever imagine and make your eyes water and close involuntarily so you can't see. I hear the bear spray is more potent than what is used on humans, and their senses are more delicate. I'd say a bear would have a terribly bad day if it ran into the "peppery mist".

Tags
animals , carry , defense , forest , woods