The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 30, 2012, 09:44 PM   #1
Duelfuel

Cooey Model 39 - Casing Eject & Site Adjustment

My grandfather recently gave me his old Cooey Model 39. Its marked Cooey winchester, and based on his recollection, would be from the early 70's.

Two issues... one, the bolt will not eject the casing after firing. I recently went out and purchased a Hoppe's gun cleaning kit, and bought a wire brush and have started to clean it. I notice that when firing the gun before cleaning, the shell seemed quite snug in the chamber. How tight should a shell be in the chamber? Is it like a piston inside a crankcase?

Secondly, site adjustment. The gun consistently shoots to the left, so I have been aiming right, to compensate. The rear site does not look adjustable? I have been told the front side is, but it is quite rusty. Do you move it to the right or to the left? Why would it be shooting to the left in the first place?

I do not have much experience with guns, so any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old October 30, 2012, 11:00 PM   #2
Scorch

To move the point of impact, the sights (either one, front or rear) can be drifted to compensate for any error in point of impact.
* The front sight would be moved in the direction the bullet hit away from the point of aim (i.e., if the bullets hit to the left, and you are going to adjust point of impact by moving the front sight, move the front sight to the left).

* The rear sight would be moved in the direction you want the bullet to move(i.e., if the bullet hit to the left, you move the rear sight to the right, the direction you want the bullet to move).

* To raise point of impact, raise the rear sight, lower the rear sight to lower point of impact, etc.

The chamber may be dirty and cruddy after sitting for that long. Go ahead and clean the whole rifle, then see if the ejection issue persists. If so, take it to a gunsmith for a once-over. Parts for that rifle are hard to come by, and may have to be made.