The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 2, 2012, 12:32 AM   #1
Beretta92fsftw

Beretta 92fs

Hi I just bought a beretta 92fs. This is my first gun that I ever owned and I was wondering if it is safe to shoot steel casting rounds through it. Thanks
Old March 2, 2012, 12:40 AM   #2
BarryLee

I have heard that it will in theory wear your gun faster than brass, but admittedly no real experience. I have also heard that a lot of it is not of the best quality, but might be OK for practice ammo.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old March 2, 2012, 12:49 AM   #3
Beretta92fsftw

I was thinking about buying some bulk steel castings for range practice. But if it's going damage or wear out the gun then I don't think that I want to use this type of round. What about nickel plated rounds?
Old March 2, 2012, 01:05 AM   #4
iamdb

No worries. Your gun will be fine. The steel won't hurt it, but the lacquer will build up in the chamber if you never clean your gun. I wouldn't think you would need to clean any more often than regular ammo.
John 20:29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
Old March 2, 2012, 01:08 AM   #5
9mm

I wouldn't use steel cased ammo in any of my carry guns, just my 2 cents.
Old March 2, 2012, 01:20 AM   #6
Beretta92fsftw

Thanks guys

I guess I'll stick to brass then
Old March 2, 2012, 02:09 AM   #7
shortwave

I've shot a bunch of steel cased ammo without any ill-effects on my pistols.

If I didn't reload, I suppose I would still be shooting it. If I got a good deal on steel cased, you bet I'd shoot it.
Old March 2, 2012, 02:38 AM   #8
MidwestRookie

Yes it's safe to shoot steel through your 92. Carry it with brass, shoot steel at the range. Clean the barrel good before switching between the 2..
Old March 2, 2012, 07:31 AM   #9
Marquezj16

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your fine new pistol.

Steel cased ammo will shoot just fine through your gun as will the one with nickel plated cases. I have not shot a picky 92 FS ever.

As far as lacquer on steel cased, some do have them others don't. Tula, Wolf and Hornady have a polymer coating on their case.

As a general rule, after shooting steel cased ammo, clean your gun before shooting brass. Although I have broken this rule a few times in my handguns without consequence.

Enjoy your pistol and safe shooting.
Old March 2, 2012, 08:20 AM   #10
zincwarrior

The Beretta 92 is a tough bugger. you will be fine. As noted, don't forget to clean it.

Also, remember Beretta has a wide variety of after market parts. D and other springs for the trigger, alternate target/night/fixed sights, competition grade barrels, hogue and other grips etc. Its one of the most common worked over pistols.
Old March 2, 2012, 08:40 AM   #11
pgdion

I'm skeptical steel casings would harm the gun but I've heard the same as BarryLee so I won't shoot them, at least not in my 92FS or my Cougar (maybe in a cheap gun I didn't care about).

Walmarts around me are now carrying the 100ct boxes of Federal Premium. Still under $20 a box, It barely costs any more than the steel case junk does and is in a nice reloadable brass. Great ammo for practicing with, I buy a lot of it.

btw - congrats on the new 92FS, these are the sweetest guns!
Old March 2, 2012, 08:43 AM   #12
Leejack

Congrats on you new gun!

I don't use that crappy steel case ammo, that's just me though.
Old March 2, 2012, 09:26 AM   #13
Beretta92fsftw

You guys have been very helpful. I love this pistol. Thanks once again
Old March 2, 2012, 09:48 AM   #14
icedog88

I shoot Wolf in mine. No issues there. I shoot it in a couple of other pistols as well.
Old March 2, 2012, 10:02 AM   #15
Mike38

I have somewhere around 1700 rounds of Wolf steel cased ammo shot in my Beretta 92FS. No problems at all. Not one failure, not one.
Old March 2, 2012, 03:02 PM   #16
tahunua001

you should be fine with steel cased ammo...you just need to clean your gun after every trip to the range because it gunks up faster than brass
Old March 2, 2012, 03:13 PM   #17
Billy Shears

Quote:
you should be fine with steel cased ammo...you just need to clean your gun after every trip to the range because it gunks up faster than brass

+1. That has been my experience as well. The stuff shoots well, but is as dirty as a chimney.

Congrats on choosing a Beretta.
Old March 2, 2012, 10:21 PM   #18
Seven High

Buy one box and try it. Steel case ammunition was used by the Allies during WW2. They had to use steel due to a shortage of other metals.
Old March 3, 2012, 02:32 PM   #19
Steve in PA

Shoot it, your gun will be fine.

In addition, the claim that the lacquer or polymer gunks up the chamber is....FALSE!!!

Neither comes of or gunks up anything. I've never seen the issue in handguns, but in rifles, the steel case do not seal as tight as a brass case in the chamber. This causes carbon to build up in the chamber. And after firing many, many rounds the next chambered round can get stuck.
Old March 3, 2012, 04:01 PM   #20
dacaur

If steel cased ammo were just bare steel, I guess it could be a wear problem after some time and thousands of rounds.....

But, all the steel case ammo i have ever seen has some kind of coating over the steel, either lacquer or polymer, so there is no steel on steel contact, meaning no wear problem is possible.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Old March 5, 2012, 10:02 AM   #21
this_is_nascar

Congratulations. I'm enjoying my new 92A1.