The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 15, 2010, 10:16 AM   #1
catken

Triple P loader

Are the Triple P Loaders still on the market. My a temps to contact him have fallen on deaf ears. Ken
Old June 15, 2010, 10:26 AM   #2
madcratebuilder

AFAIK no one has been able to contact the seller.
Old June 15, 2010, 10:29 AM   #3
denster

It's a shame too. I got one of the first ones and they are an excellent loader.
Old June 15, 2010, 10:41 AM   #4
zippy13

Ken,
The reason I decided to make my own loader (+1 for a buddy) was because the new Triple-P units smell suspiciously like vaporware. It's not that complicated to make your own linked loaders, and MUCH less costly. All I had was a saw, a drill press and some time. Here's my version of a toggle link type loader. If I can make 'em, anyone can. PM me if your want a set of drawings.

Old June 15, 2010, 11:24 AM   #5
wittzo

I probably could have made one myself. I have one from Track of the Wolf that's made of aluminum. I don't know who made it; the handle hurts my palm and it can warp when when I use .457" bullets and a cheater pipe on it. It was about $20-$29?

I bought Powder Inc.'s cylinder loader when I bought some powder last week. It's robust and simple, but sort of crudely welded. I could have built one, but it would have taken more time and skill than I have. It gets the job done and it comes with all the extra arbors you need and you can rig it to cut wads, since the arbors and stuff are threaded for easy swap out, which is a great idea. I think it's worth it's price, about $69 including shipping to my house.
Old June 15, 2010, 12:07 PM   #6
catken

Loader

Wittzo When pushing down on the handle, how do you know when the ball is firmly seated. Ken
Old June 15, 2010, 07:20 PM   #7
wittzo

I push down until I can't push down any more. I have 350 lbs of grunt force.
Old June 15, 2010, 10:54 PM   #8
DrLaw

Try this site.

http://www.sixgunforfun.com/

It's where I got mine.

The Doc is out now.
Old June 15, 2010, 11:43 PM   #9
DustyBottoms

But the guns come with loading levers...

What am I missing?

Or, what are you guys missing?
Old June 16, 2010, 02:13 AM   #10
Smokin_Gun

Triple P Loader

Can you load yur Rev with only one hand?(mines do to injury and surgery) I can now cause a havin' a Triple P multi mfg. and model cylinder loader an punch press... I have the ol single loader too...helped tim with dimesions and info for these presses. As far as I know there was a health issue and haven't talk to him myself...
When did Powder Inc start selling loaders again? Got a picture of it if recent?
Thanks in advance...
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old June 16, 2010, 07:47 AM   #11
madcratebuilder

Quote:

What am I missing?

Or, what are you guys missing?
A stand alone loading devise allows much better control on loading conicals, on bullet seating depth, and in the case of that one handed outlaw SG, it allows him to keep the posse at bay.

For normal plinking the loading lever is fine. Some of the Colts did not have a loading lever, some guns, like the LeMat have a fairly light loading lever. Lot's of reasons to own a stand of some type. From a basic one that just holds the gun in a upright position to a full fledged loader.

Old June 16, 2010, 08:38 AM   #12
catken

triple p loader

I have tried contacting the 3p site without a response. Ken
Old June 16, 2010, 08:45 AM   #13
ClemBert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyBottoms

What am I missing?
I have Rugers, Remingtons, and Colts and the loading lever is all I need. I have plently of leverage to compress powder and seat a ball. I rather enjoy using it the way that Mr. Colt designed it therefore I don't own a loading press nor desire one. However, there are a few revolvers that make difficult work of loading conicals because of clearance issues. Also, there are those who have a cache of spare cylinders that they want preloaded. In both of those cases it would seem to make sense to have a loading press.

p.s. I've read in a couple of threads where the owner of Triple-P has taken money but not delivered products. Also, that he hasn't honored the lifetime guarantee he gave. Basically, he has disappeared off the face of the earth....just what I read....don't know if any is true.
Old June 16, 2010, 11:52 AM   #14
catken

Triple P loader

Thanks for the inside info. on the triple P. Looks like I'll go with the Powder Inc. one.If there are any negatives on this loader, please come forward as I'll plan on ordering next week. To bad on the Triple P .It looked pretty nice as does the one made of wood. I'm just not real good with wood. Ken
Old June 16, 2010, 11:55 AM   #15
wittzo

Some guns make it difficult to load conicals. I find it difficult to line up my sprues once the chamber is under the rammer. It's also easier and cleaner to load lubed wads with a press.

I have three cylinders for my Remington, it's faster to load them on a press, but I don't bother using a press for my Colts, since it's a more involved process to swap them out and I really like the Walker's loading lever.

Here's pics of the loader I got from Powder, Inc. last week. They're not studio quality, but I hope you get the drift.

Big nasty looking weld. It was off putting they didn't even put it in a box, they wrapped the instruction sheet around it and wrapped it in newsprint and put it in the box with my powder in a 25# box. The arbors and cylinder pins were in a plain ziploc quart bag. I hope that I can adapt it to cud wads one day so I don't have to hammer them out, I can use the press. The press is threaded to take the arbors and the base is threaded to swap out cylinder pins.
Old June 16, 2010, 12:04 PM   #16
DustyBottoms

Quote:
Can you load yur Rev with only one hand?(mines do to injury and surgery) I can now cause a havin' a Triple P multi mfg. and model cylinder loader an punch press
That hadn't occurred to me.

I get it now.
Old June 16, 2010, 01:49 PM   #17
zippy13

I went to the loading press because I wanted to try conicals in my replica R-58 without having to modify the gun. And, like Smokin Gun, I don't have full use of my hands and the loader is a welcome aid. I was amazed by the increased accuracy (luck?) achieved with the loader and conicals (LEE 200gr REAL).
Old June 16, 2010, 02:17 PM   #18
catken

Powder Inc.

Does not look exactly like the one at Powder Inc. Web Site. A little crewed to say the least. Is that discoloration rust or some type of oxidation. Is the metal stainless or of a metal that would have to be protected somehow. I guess as long as it works is the main thing. Ken
Old June 16, 2010, 05:15 PM   #19
wittzo

It's sort of a "patina", I hope. It came covered in oil, but it was still rusty looking, straight from the box. I could have built one, but mine would have looked even sloppier and would be in the "get around to cutting that metal out" stage for months.
Old June 16, 2010, 06:02 PM   #20
Hawg

Quote:
However, there are a few revolvers that make difficult work of loading conicals because of clearance issues
Such as?
Old June 16, 2010, 06:40 PM   #21
arcticap

That looks like one strong loading press.
And it's got a nice looking ball handle on the lever too.
The Triple P looks smaller in comparison and most times needs two hands to hold it in place. That's because its base plate is sort of small.
But it functions very well and is small enough overall to be easily portable without taking up much room.
If you went to a machine shop and asked them to build a copy of that Powder Inc. press they would probably charge a small fortune just for the labor.
So any strongly built press like that for a reasonable price is well worth it. Unless a person has the talent and equipment to build it themself, then that press is a good deal even if has some brown spots.
The metal can always be protected.

Last edited by arcticap; June 16, 2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old June 16, 2010, 08:51 PM   #22
wittzo

Aye, it would have brown spots on it after a while, anyway, from our humidity and my sweat. As long as it does the job, it's okay, and it does an excellent job.

I particularly like the solid steel parts and the plastic ball.

The other press I have is really flimsy, made of aluminum and it requires two hands so it won't tip over. I think I got it from Track of the Wolf or the Possibles Shop, but I can't find it on either site any more. It has a rounded brass pin for Remingtons and Rugers and came with a hard plastic arbor adaptor for Colts. The handle on it is short, made of aluminum, and has a thin vinyl handle slipped over it and is uncomfortable to use. I used some steel conduit as a cheater once and warped it. I took it apart and straightened it out, but it's just not as precise as the Powder, Inc. one.

Comparing the two

The brass arbor adaptors for the Powder Inc versus the aluminum press's plastic adaptor for Colt cylinders. I like it's length more than the Powder Inc's adaptors. It might not make a difference, but I'm going to take it to a hardware store and try to find a bushing that size to slip over the Powder Inc's Remington/Ruger bushing.
Old June 16, 2010, 08:58 PM   #23
wittzo

The Remington cylinder looks huge on that loader.

That loader looks huge with a Remington cylinder on it.

Hey...wait a minute. I think I may have read that it can't be used with a Walker cylinder. The cylinder's too large for the handle...to handle.

That's better. The Walker cylinder almost makes the press look small. That's a Walker for you.
Old June 16, 2010, 09:37 PM   #24
thallub

Zippy 13, that is some beautiful wood work.
Old June 18, 2010, 07:03 AM   #25
DrLaw

Why I like a loader

I like a loader for the following reasons.

I can load more uniformly when I have the cylinder out and can really keep an eye on what I am doing.

I don't have to worry about breaking or wearing a part on the gun. I had a Lyman Remington that wore the loading rod link. The pins holding the link to the ram and lever actually caused the link's holes to expand. With this, I don't have to worry about that.

I can bring several guns and know that I can load all of them on the same loader.

Sorry to hear that some cannot get through to the guy who makes the Triple P Loader. He does this from his home as far as I know, and he might be on vacation. I forget, was there a phone number there? When I was dealing with him I had excellent communication from him back and forth.

The Doc is out now.