The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 16, 2015, 12:14 PM   #1
Unlicensed Dremel

Any Hunters in Flathead Valley, MT?

I just moved here from OK, and would like to meet like-minded "bros" to possibly give me some tips and pointers on hunting regs and spots (on public lands), fishing spots, etc. Maybe even a full fledged hunting buddy. I have essentially no friends here yet. Thanks. Mostly interested in fly fishing for trout that I can keep/eat, and also deer, speed goat, elk, and turkey hunting. Although I wouldn't mind getting into some grouse, pheasants, etc., as well.

Right off the bat, I'm getting lots of conflicting info on when I can get resident license/tag rates, from immediately to 90 days to 6 months. I have no utilities in my name, so I'm not sure how I can prove that I live here. I'm going by fish and game office today, and also going to try to get a driver's license today.

I'm going to try to "officially surrender" my lifetime Okla. hunting and fishing license, so that there's no chance I can ever be accused of attempting to have residence in two states.

Last edited by Unlicensed Dremel; September 16, 2015 at 12:48 PM.
Old September 16, 2015, 12:20 PM   #2
Doyle

Quote:
I'm going to try to "officially surrender" my lifetime Okla. hunting and fishing license,
I'd advise rethinking that. In any state I've lived in, the lifetime license specifically says it is valid even if you move out of state and become a non-resident. There should be no conflict between keeping that and getting your resident MT license. It isn't like a drivers license where you can only have one. You can buy and continue to use use a lifetime license in many states during your working career and they won't interfere with each other. I still kick myself for not buying a lifetime GA license when I had the chance 30 years ago.
Old September 16, 2015, 12:48 PM   #3
Unlicensed Dremel

OK, thanks, Doyle - duly noted.
Old September 16, 2015, 08:49 PM   #4
jmr40

I bought lifetime licenses for myself and my son 10 years ago with that as a huge factor. At my age I'm unlikely to relocate to another state, but my son was 16 at the time, 26 now and who knows what the future holds for him. Even if a job took him out of state he could always return home and be able to hunt and fish here for free for life.
Old September 16, 2015, 09:06 PM   #5
grey.ghost

Thompson Falls is a great area. I grew up in Kalispell, haven't been back in some time, but I hear through friends that plenty of the old great hunting spots are still going strong.
Old September 18, 2015, 11:43 AM   #6
Unlicensed Dremel

Good to hear - sure would love to know where at least one of those are.

Quote:
I bought lifetime licenses for myself and my son 10 years ago with that as a huge factor. At my age I'm unlikely to relocate to another state, but my son was 16 at the time, 26 now and who knows what the future holds for him. Even if a job took him out of state he could always return home and be able to hunt and fish here for free for life.
I understand - and that's a good plan.

My issue is that MT, like many Western states, has a rule to the effect of "Thou shall not maintain residence in two or more states or hold any hunting license in any other state in addition to MT; thou shall only be a MT resident." Well, that's technically impossible to do without forfeiting / surrendering my lifetime RESIDENT Okla. license, and I don't want to take ANY chance of running afoul of their game laws. At this time, Fish and Wildlife here is researching it for me and is supposed to get back to me with an answer. They didn't know the answer to that right off hand (whether I need to forfeit or not).

Last edited by Unlicensed Dremel; September 18, 2015 at 12:01 PM.
Old September 23, 2015, 06:18 PM   #7
Unlicensed Dremel

So I took my dogs for a walking in the "State Trust Lands" area in West Valley, near Ray Kuhns wildlife management area, west of Farm to Market Road. Saw some deer in there. I got the $10 permit to be present in this area. There's a sign which implies that firearms are ok to be carried in there. So can I archery hunt it, rifle hunt it, or not at all? It's huge. The teenagers working the license desk at the Sportsman's and Ski Haus didn't know. Seems like an easy rifle meat hunt, or fairly high chance archery hunt, and only 4.5 miles from the house.
Old September 23, 2015, 06:46 PM   #8
Doyle

Dremel, it sounds like either MT doesn't do a very good job of publishing information or you just haven't found it yet. Either way, let me tell you how I would handle your situation.

First, I would find out where the local game warden's office is.
Second, I would bake a couple of really good pies (I make an absolutely killer sweet potato pie)
Third, I would show up there first thing in the morning with those pies and tell them that you come bearing gifts, you're new to the state, and you'd appreciate spending a little time with one of the wardens that works your area.

I'd be very surprised if this approach doesn't give you all the information you need.
Old September 23, 2015, 09:01 PM   #9
Unlicensed Dremel

That's actually a good plan; thanks. Pies and a 12 pack, ha ha. There are several wardens officing out of the local office, so this should work.
Old October 7, 2015, 05:01 PM   #10
samsmix

unlicencedDremel,

I have been a MT resident all my life, and I can tell you with absolute certainty that it is 180 days to wait in order to buy a resident license.

Lots of private land up there near Kalispell, but plenty of public as well. A GPS device with downloaded property line maps isn't a must, but could save you a lot of trouble.

Congrats on the move! If you're ever down in G-funk (Great Falls), I'll buy you a brew and chew the fat a while.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old October 8, 2015, 03:31 PM   #11
Unlicensed Dremel

Thank you sir!

OK, couple of things:

1. Montana Fish and Game says I do NOT have to relinquish my Okla. lifetime license (woo hoo); just never buy any more if I go back (which I probably won't). To be safe, I'm not going to carry it with me while hunting, just to avoid stirring the pot.

2. Since I have to wait 6 months for in-state prices, the only tag I'm going to buy for the fall is deer, most likely.

3. I have decided I will find a place on my own, by asking the wardens or looking at materials; without trying to get help from individual hunters; people are too secretive up here; they won't tell you their spots. Having said that, is there anyplace at all (public) you might recommend, samsmix, just for meat hunt (does) within 20 or so of Flathead valley, for rifle, or anyplace right here in the valley for archery? I'd love to find a place that is archery-only, even during rifle season, to weed out the riff raff, but is close by.

4. Someone said go to the "high woods" which he said is out east of Great Falls - where is this exactly, and can you tell me any more about it?

5. Can you shoot mule deer does or not (I heard not) in this unit? But mulie bucks are fine right? I think it's all whitetail here, but you never know...

6. Ran into blue grouse up at Jewel Basin - you know if hunting is allowed in there for grouse?

OK, thanks.
Old October 27, 2015, 01:41 AM   #12
samsmix

Sorry for the delayed reply. I don't know the laws in the Flathead valley area all that well. The High woods are just east of Great Falls, but that's a heckuva drive for one deer, and sees a lot of traffic due to its proximity to Malmstrom AFB. There are some Hutterite Colonies near Shelby and Valier that wouldn't be such a long trip. They usually see some traffic, but at 30000 acres or so there is usually game to be found. As a rule look for the WT in the river/creek bottoms, and the mulie in the coulees.

Sex and species laws vary by district, but massive disease kills have greatly limited mulie doe opportunities. Make sure to consult the printed regs.

Blue grouse can be hunted up there as far as I know.

Old October 27, 2015, 01:43 AM   #13
samsmix

Also, inquire about the Block Management Program from MT FWP.

Good luck, and I hope to see some great pics!

Old October 27, 2015, 09:17 AM   #14
Knightrider_85

Neighborly Advice

If you're just looking for a deer, pretty much anyplace will do; they're kind of everywhere.

Some of the more common areas would be the North Fork Road north of Columbia Falls, Hungry Horse Reservoir (either side), or if you wanted to go west of town, the Tally Lake or Hubbard Dam areas are decent.

Kuhn's is a nice walk if you just want to be out for a while, but I'm not sure what all the extra rules are with it being a "wildlife preserve." FWP should know. I know there are spots down by Flathead River that are archery/shotgun only, but I've never been down there so I couldn't tell you exactly where.

If you decide on the Hubbard Dam, just pay attention to your map because if you go too far south you'll end up on the Reservation and they have their own set of game laws down there.

As far as shooting mule deer, it should be fine, but you'll have to pick up a copy of the big game regulations and find the district you will be hunting in for the specific rules. Depending on the area, they can vary wildly. You will also want to grab one for upland game birds regarding grouse. They are free and any sport store or even gas stations around here.

Hope that helps point you in the right direction!