The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 19, 2005, 04:22 PM   #1
saands

barrel thread specs ...

Does anyone know the major diameters of the barrel threads (going into the receiver) on the Swiss K-31 and/or the Mosin-Nagants.

Thanks in advance ...

Saands
Old May 19, 2005, 06:30 PM   #2
Harry Bonar

bbl' threads

Dear Shooter:
Thread specs' on the Monsin Nagant:
.980 major
TPI 16V
Lenght of threaded shank .937
dia' of bbl in front of threads 1.182

I do not find the data on ther K31 Swiss.

Harry B.
Old May 21, 2005, 10:30 AM   #3
saands

Harry:

Thanks so much!

Saands
Old May 23, 2005, 12:48 PM   #4
Harry Bonar

bbl. thread - SAANDS

Dear SAANDS:
If you want to re-barrel your K31, I'd unscrew that barrel out and get your measurement from that because I've been all over the internet and havn't found ANTHING!
I' ve got a nice K31 and I'll leave it as it.
That action isn't really designed for 30-06 or 308 pressure anyway.
Now, I assume (that makes an ass out of u and me) that the bbl. thread is R.H.? As I say, if that bbl' is aok, like most of them are I'd just shoot 7.5 Swiss ammo through it. The K31 is a redesign of the weaker 1911 Swiss I think, and new ammo was specified for it. I'll shoot mine but I'd not chamber it for anything heavier.
Of course, I think actions will take far more than their rated strength, but we're really guessing then!
Good luck! (no such thing as luck)
Harry B.
Old May 23, 2005, 03:50 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

There may be others, but the only LH thread barrel I can think of is the Norwegian Krag. I have seen a couple of those receivers twisted and ruined by gunsmiths who didn't know that.

Jim
Old September 10, 2005, 11:18 PM   #6
Hello123

I have heard of the K31 being rechambered in up to 300 Mag.
Old September 11, 2005, 03:11 AM   #7
cntryboy1289

Model 1911 myself

I have a Model 1911 that was rebarreled for the .308, Mr. Bonar, from my experience the receiver is built to stand around 55,000cup without a problem. I would heed some good advice and make sure the lugs of the bolt are in very good condition, but the straight pull bolt design locks up quite well.

The Model 1911 and 31 or about as accurate of a rifle as I have ever shot. I have an original model 31 that will shoot a 1 1/2" group with iron sights using regular issue army rounds at 100 yds most days if my eyes don't fail me. The model 1911 that was rebarreled will outshoot most facotry rifles with a very good 3/4" group with the scope I mounted on top of it. Both are superb rifles and unless your barrel is just completely shot out, I would recommend a very good cleaning using a good carbon remover first, then a good copper cleaner. You might simply need to recrown the rifle which most of the time with an arsenal rifle, the crowns will get dinged up a good bit. Good luck with it. I might add both tof the bolts in my rifles look new except for some pitting on the model 31. Neither had any damage when I started shooting them so make sure to have the lugs checked out first.
Old September 11, 2005, 09:47 AM   #8
Harry Bonar

bbl threads

Dear CNTRYBOY1289:
Thanks for the Info on the K31! Please just call me Harry; I'm 69 now but still have a 29 year old mind .
You know, I have no doubt but what that K31 will take those pressures - Military actions are generally rated to take 100% pressures over the rated cup. That would be in the 100,000, cup range - of course brass begins to flow at about 70,000 - 80,000 cup!
Ross Sefried had an article on 45 Colt brass (new brass) and said it was the best revolver brass in existence - he blew the idea that 45LC brass was thin. Of course this doesn't apply to old baloon heads.
I've converted Turk 38 actions to 9.3X62 and 416 Taylor, with no set-back or problem.
Military actions are my choice!
Harry B.
Old September 11, 2005, 03:14 PM   #9
cntryboy1289

Ok Mr. Harry

MY grandmother would come back and whoop me good Harry if she ever caught me not saying Mr. or Mrs. when addressing an elder. Don't think I would have been standing if I didn't say yes M'aam or yes Sir around her either so it is a hard habit to break out of respect for you Harry.

I agree with you 100% on using military actions, I really love them myself. I don't have an elaborate collection right now, but the list is growing for sure. I had an old wore out LLama 45ACP that I couldn't get to shoot worth a flip and didn't want to waste any money on it. I had a guy come in the shop one day and saw it sitting out on my desk and he said" Man, I really want that 45 you have there". After I finally got my laughter under control, I told him in no uncertain terms that he didn't need to waste any money buying an old wore out gun like that one for sure. You know the type of guy I am referring to when I say, he just wouldn't listen to me. Anyway, he brought in the Model 1911 to me and said he wanted to trade it to me for the Llama. At that time I had no idea about the history of the gun or anything else for that matter. I did notice it had been rebarreled to the .308 and told him I would trade even for it and would wait awhile for him to come back for the rifle since I knew he would be back. Well, he never returned and I wouldn't let it go for more than 4 times what it is worth any day of the month. I put on a walnut stock that gave me the length of pull I needed for it and mounted a scope on it and went to the range. If you put up a quarter size circle, 50 rounds will stay in it without any problem. I was simply amazed at the accuracy of the little rifle. I swapped the military stock back on it and it still shot the same way for my son who then informed me he had a new rifle. I had to build him a Mauser in .308 to get my rifle back from him and now we are both happy again.

Take care Harry, I will help you out now and then by remembering to call you by your first name. Yesterday I was at my wife's grandmothers B-Day party at the retirement center she lives at. One of the nice ladies that was there told my daughter who is 8 and was sitting on my lap that she sure did have a nice Papa. Lauren looked at her and told her right quick, "I sure do, but this is my Daddy" I guess the grey hair and beard make me look much older than I am so I just smiled and didn't say a word.