The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 17, 2005, 06:24 AM   #1
sunray

9x19 case length

I am reloading both new and used brass for IPSC and Action shooting. I would like to remove the variables, such as case length. Can some person please advise what is the allowable tolerance on the 19mm long case.
regards.

regards
Old May 17, 2005, 11:17 PM   #2
G56

Your reloading manual contains that information.
Old May 18, 2005, 04:45 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

actual experience

Good advice above.

I have never had a 9x19 case length concern; when I inspect cases prior to loading I just toss ANY that seem suspect, but length ain't it.
Old May 30, 2005, 12:29 AM   #4
Sturm

Max. case length is .754" and trim length that I use is .748" which also happens to be the 19mm of 9 X19! I usually only trim once when buying new brass to ensure cases will get an equal amount of taper crimp. Overlength should not be a problem after that initial trim. This is pound for pound, the strongest pistol case common for combat handguns.
Old May 30, 2005, 02:16 AM   #5
cas

"Because life is too short to drink cheap beer!"

o
Life is als too short to trim 9mm cases.

Savage24.com
Cylindersmith.com
Old May 30, 2005, 05:20 AM   #6
Sturm

Well maybe, but cheap beer can also affect your mental perception of the space/time continuum! Of course, too much Warsteiner could do the same thing!

Trimming once for uniformity with new brass is not likely to alter my lifespan a great deal and sub 1" groups have their own reward!
Old May 30, 2005, 08:30 AM   #7
WESHOOT2

was gonna write "Absolute waste of time".......

Yet I didn't (well, kinda didn't).

IMNSLE the matter of trimming handgun cases is much overstated. It may add a miniscule difference to group size, but most (none) of us can shoot that good anyways.

IF IT AFFECTS reliability, then do it.

(I may trim revolver cases for certain applications; I've trimmed auto cases for the same reasons, but it don't happen very often. Even when I'm trying to get sub-1"'s from my Nowlin-tubed 9x19 Witness.)
Old May 30, 2005, 10:56 PM   #8
Sturm

WES, you said Nowlin in there somewhere! I'm getting mine from a stock CZ P-01. Maybe it is just the gun and maybe I'm nitpickin' I know I'm gettin' a very good Taper crimp and since everyone knows I have money to burn, I will admit, I bought the REDDING Taper Crimp die in addition to the the Titanium Carbide set and I do four operations and I'm not even a surgeon, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express, once!
Old May 31, 2005, 04:44 AM   #9
WESHOOT2

crap groups

Bought gun in '94.
Could not get it to shoot better than 8", yet could shoot friend's into better-than-4".

Slugged bore = .3596".

Off to Mr. Cogan (www.apwcogan.com) for that Nowlin tube, hard-fit, and HC.
Back to me perfect.
My most accurate reliable (IF, ONLY IF rds fit the chamber) auto.
Nowlin.

Gotta BarSto and a Kart in my two 1911's, got a couple factory Match tubes in me Witnesses.
Had a Jarvis-hard-fit Glock M20; sold (too big for dishwasher).
Old June 5, 2005, 05:10 AM   #10
Sturm

The two main areas of control that you achieve by trimming, other than complying with spec for function are varying bells on the case mouth when expanding and the slightly different amount of bullet pull that could result from a slight variance in the amount of taper crimp. Oh God! that could involve geometry!

Minisiscule, most likely, but hey, it's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase! When I buy brass from Starline I trim it to one uniform length. If it's once fired factory, I don't bother with the autoloader brass, because most of what I check with the caliper, is too short already. High performance revolver loads get trimmed for the two reasons above!

Sometimes I wonder why some reloaders even bother to tumble brass which is mostly visual, since they're in such a hurry to shoot. Myself, I like to reload! Then, at a later point, I like to shoot. Two different events at two different times!
Old June 5, 2005, 06:47 AM   #11
WESHOOT2

clean cases = longer die life

I clean cases to preserve my die life; less scratches, less abrasion.
I have trimmed case batches, but overall accuracy enhancement was definitely not worth the time (except in certain revolver-fired applications).

If I shot Bullseye I believe I'd at least sort by length........

Not moot; got a few thousand just-cleaned 9x19 used brass to load. IPSC summer.........(but I AIN'T trimmin' any!)

(I have worn out sizers, but the companies replaced them.)

Last edited by WESHOOT2; June 5, 2005 at 06:47 AM. Reason: WORN OUT = INCREASED ID