The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 6, 2012, 06:45 PM   #1
sodak54

Moly coated bullets

I have a 22-250 that I can't get to shoot much better than a shotgun, in frustration I shot a three shot group with some factory Winchester Supreme Moly coated rounds and behold they were sub 1" moa. I suspect there is a crown issue I could have it re-crowned for 50 bucks but am thinking I should just load some moly coated Vmax's or Blitzkings. Any thoughts?
Old May 6, 2012, 08:04 PM   #2
Bart B.

As the crown's the same for all shots fired, but one batch of ammo shoots good and the other bad, it's no fault of the crown. The crown affects all bullets the same. If the crown was really bad, all ammo would shoot that way, too.

I'd try another load. Moly coated bullets improve accuracy very little, if at all.

And shoot more shots per group; ten's the absolute minimum for reliable data. 3-shot groups are only 50% reliable.
Old May 6, 2012, 08:13 PM   #3
mrawesome22

That is not moly on the Winchester loads, it is Lubalox.

Very easy to duplicate that load.

Fire the factory rounds over the chrono and record velocity.

Pick up some CT ballistic tips, load them to the same OAL, pick up some IMR4064 and try to duplicate the velocity of the factory loads.

Homemade Winchester supreme ammo.

Sent from MIUI using Tapatalk 2.
Old May 7, 2012, 04:32 PM   #4
AllenJ

I agree with Bart, you don't have a crown issue if the Winchester Supreme's are shooting well. What weight bullets are you shooting and what is your barrels twist rate?