The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 28, 2013, 10:43 AM   #1
ffs1942

Johnson Rifle ammo picky?

My new CMP M1 doesn't like the 150 gr civvie ammo I fed it. Ejects, but doesn't always rechamber. The gunsmith says its the ammo's fault. Says the M1 is pretty picky about its diet if it must dine on the economy.

With that in mind, I'm thinking back to the days when The Johnson was released as surplus or as a new hunting rifle. I heard its recoil operated action could be a bit finicky. Notably, the M1 bayonet could cause problems, so a special Johnson bayonet was devised.

Does this mean the Johnson was also picky about its ammo?
Old March 28, 2013, 01:12 PM   #2
ketland

My Johnson rifles eat any ammo I put in them without problems. I have a couple of 7mm (Chilean contract) Johnsons, and they also operate without issues using everything from old surplus, to new manufacture S&B.
The issue of the Bayonet on the end of a Johnson barrel was one of weight, or so I have read, hence Johnson designed a bayonet specifically for his rifle.
Old March 28, 2013, 08:59 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I did have some problems with the Johnson with M2 Ball, but M1 Ball and .30 AP worked fine. (Both, of course, use a heavier (c. 170 grain) bullet.

Jim
Old March 30, 2013, 09:38 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

All semi auto rifles tend to be picky about what they digest.
Old March 30, 2013, 08:32 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

True, but I think recoil operated rifles are touchier than blowback or gas operated ones. Even the Remington long-recoil operated rifles need a closely balanced load to function properly. (Moot for the most part, now that there is no factory ammo for any caliber except .35 Remington.)

Jim