The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 1, 2010, 11:27 PM   #1
banditt007

Easier to see paper target using aperture sights?

I'm recently starting to learn how to use aperture sights on my 336BL 30-30. I bought skinner sights, and i'm using a custom height front sight from him(flat top not a bead), and his aperture rear sight w/ the standard .096" aperture. (excellent customer service and product BTW)

At 50 yards, i'm shooting at a black 4" circle target, and at 100 yards i was shooting at an 8" black circle target. I was wondering if there are any targets that you find the easiest to get proper sight picture? I was thinking black squares, since using a circle, the bottom of it comes to a fine point when 'resting' on the top of my front sight. This makes it hard to determine how my sights are elevation wise.

I have found my shooting to be okay for a beginner, and sometimes great but i feel a different target would help me be more consistent with my sight picture, but am unsure of what shape would be best for a target.

Also i am completely ignoring my rear sight, and not 'trying' to center my front post within the rear sight, i am just staring at the front sight. However at this point my target gets so blurry i need to focus on that a bit and switch back and fourth and then pull the trigger. I hear the way to do it is just to stare at the front sight only, i'm finding this hard. Also i hear that once the sight picture seems okay just take the shot instead of trying to really get it perfect? I guess i need more range time. If anyone has any tips please chime in.

Last edited by banditt007; November 2, 2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old November 2, 2010, 12:13 AM   #2
bamaranger

paper plates

My standard target for a long time now has been bulk paper plates. The 9-10" ones get used at 100, the small 4-6" (I'm not really sure of the exact dimensions, but there are large and small ones) get used at 50.

The white disk sets nicely on top of the dark front post. If setting the rifle up to shoot "on" at 100 , I accept the bullet group at the 6 o'clock position using the same hold.

With a bead front and a peep, you can use a similar 6 o'clock hold, or center the bead on the plate, with the group landing accordingly.

If I'm shooting a scoped rifle, I use the small plates with a marked in or stick on center dot.

Cheap and you can buy in bulk.
Old November 2, 2010, 01:03 AM   #3
Ideal Tool

Hello banditt007, You are right in completly ignoring the rear sight..but when you say you are trying to center front sight in appature, that is no-no. The human eye automaticly seeks the brightest point of light, with no help from us, and with the appature sight, that is the very center. Just place front where you want bullet to hit. That said, with a post, you might want to try some of Mountain Plains targets sold by Sinclair int. Sinclairint.com, they are a light blue on white background, and come in different shapes & sizes. I well know your problem of getting a sight picture with irons, I have an 1895 Winchester-Lee
.236 (6mm) straight-pull sporter. The sights are brl. mounted buckhorn rear, with stepped elevator & German silver front blade. I have been using black aiming point, made out of squares of construction paper, turned sideways for a diamond shape. I place front blade on bottom tip of diamond. Best of luck!

Tags
aperture , iron , picture , sight , sights