The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 8, 2013, 03:11 AM   #26
bswiv

Coyotes are a challenge here in Fl.........but I view them more as a PROBELM than a opportunity.

I've settled on hunting from the ground, not from a blind but rather by slipping VERY slowly through the woods. Thick woods make this hard but if you've not tried it it is very rewarding.

Pigs this way are fun.....deer surprisingly not all that hard to see if you move slow enough and if you work into the wind.
Old August 8, 2013, 07:10 AM   #27
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahunua
how do you challenge yourselves on hunts when the same ole hunt gets boring?
I'm never bored when I'm in the woods, and I've been hunting for five decades. When I'm in the woods, it's about relaxation. Taking it easy, going slow, seeking a more harmonious outcome. The venison is secondary at this stage of my life. It's also about exploration, seeing what's over that next hill, or watching the water swirl in a deep pool.

I remember challenging myself and others when I was younger, and it's right and proper that we do so. I hunted exclusively with a traditional caplock for ten years, for all game, fur and feather. Had a wonderful time doing that. I also actively seeked my legal limit for several years. Have you ever shot so many rabbits that it took two trips to get them out of the woods? Have you ever been so deep in a wooded swamp that it took two days to find the truck? I wasn't lost, but I was a mite confused. Have you ever limited yourself to one round of ammunition? By that I mean that you leave the house with a rifle and just exactly one cartridge?

Challenges are fun, but I'm past all that. But, oh, the memories. Nowadays I like to get out of the truck before daylight, test the wind, and slip into the woods. I might spend four hours and not go a hundred yards, or I might come out on the other side of the section and have to hitchhike back to the truck. I've got a box stand for rainy days, but that's mainly for napping.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old August 8, 2013, 08:13 AM   #28
rickyrick

That sounds like what I'd want to do, PawPaw... But my biggest challenge is getting the wife to let me out of the house that long.

I'd love to disappear into the woods for a couple days at a time.
Old August 8, 2013, 08:27 AM   #29
kraigwy

Deer is getting boring for me, this year I plan on getting two, one with my Inline Muzzle loader, the second with my '98 30-40 Krag, in original USGI condition.

I didn't get my choice elk tag but I did get a left over cow tag. To be different I'm going to use my M1903A4 vintage sniper rifle.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 8, 2013, 09:32 AM   #30
tahunua001

I'm sure we've already had this conversation before but just in case, last year for elk season I struggled for weeks trying to decide if I wanted to take my 1903A4 or my 300 mag. in the end I erred on the side of practicality and went with the 300 but to be able to get my elk with a tried and true sniper rifle would be a great story to tell.
Old August 8, 2013, 12:11 PM   #31
ChasingWhitetail91

When I get bored of sitting in the blind i'll get out and stalk. Not the most productive hunting in the thick woods and swamps I hunt, but it gets the blood pumping seeing how close you can get without them catching you.
Old August 14, 2013, 10:19 AM   #32
militant

Try hunting coyote with a long bow.
Old August 14, 2013, 10:29 AM   #33
jimbob86

Quote:
how do you challenge yourselves on hunts when the same ole hunt gets boring?
Hunting is never boring, and always more challenging, as well as more rewarding, when you take along new young hunters with little to no experience.

I'll be mentoring two new hunters this November.

Niether has ever hunted.

Niether ever owned a gun before. One has already got her rifle and done some practicing.

I do not claim to know everything, but what I fail to pass on I may as well have not known anyway ......
Old August 14, 2013, 12:34 PM   #34
Keg

Quote:
Hunting is never boring, and always more challenging, as well as more rewarding, when you take along new young hunters with little to no experience.

I'll be mentoring two new hunters this November.

Niether has ever hunted.

Niether ever owned a gun before. One has already got her rifle and done some practicing.

I do not claim to know everything, but what I fail to pass on I may as well have not known anyway ......
Today 10:19 AM
Good one Jim Bob....I have been hunting the past 6 yrs with my wife....Also a SIL that was not raised in the woods as I was....I have started hunting with my G-son now....It is nice to pass on experiences and watch them learn....
Old August 14, 2013, 09:14 PM   #35
tahunua001

never did think of mentoring a new hunter... don't know anyone that want to get into it though so I guess I have to go befriend some open minded city slickers
Old August 14, 2013, 10:32 PM   #36
jimbob86

Quote:
never did think of mentoring a new hunter... don't know anyone that want to get into it though so I guess I have to go befriend some open minded city slickers
There are many who want to learn, and have no idea who or what to ask ...... try volunteering with your State hunter Ed. program. I'd bet you have your hands full of young apprentices!

Our Hunting Heritage will not survive unless we grow it. Our time is short. Don't waste it.
Old August 15, 2013, 03:18 AM   #37
okiewita40

Having only hunted deer for two seasons. Trying to put one in the freezer is my challenge/goal. I grew up hunting and fishing. And I learnt most of my outdoors skills from my Grandfather. But he did not believe in shooting deer.

My first deer season was in 2009 and my last one was in 2011. I know this seems odd for a guy that is 46. But that is the way it is.
Old August 15, 2013, 04:57 PM   #38
Tad_T

Bow hunting for elk in Island Park on Two Top Mountain.

I find it challenging.
Old August 15, 2013, 06:13 PM   #39
Doyle

+1 on the bow. Either compound or crossbow - you still need to get within about 40-45 yds.
Old August 17, 2013, 06:36 AM   #40
old roper

Mine is archery bear.
NRA Life Member
Old August 18, 2013, 04:07 PM   #41
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Being the camp Bull Cook & house keeper for a couple of weeks is enough challenge for me during deer season to break the monotony. But being the chief cook and coffee cup washer does have its perks. First deer shot goes to the cook of course as his reward. But I hate being given a fawn to bring home year after year. So by the second weekend the fawns gone. And big daddy here. Well he serves eviction notice on whom ever is sitting in his stand. {Actually being the camp Cook is a necessity for those others having dependence on my skills. As I am quite familiar with a kitchen stove and my abilities to keep us healthy and fed. No doubt no one can survive on Slim-Jims, chips & Coors for two weeks.} All in all its a fun time of year for me. Everyone goes home with a nice deer and happy memory's to think about through-out the following year until we can do it again. And that OP is the challenge and also my reward. If I were given one favor to ask. It would be "They gott'a give up their cheat'en ways when playing cards."_ Pinochle counts and figures are always off. And those extra begging's on the cribbage board are so blatant to those who are observant. No shame what-so-ever.

S/S
Old August 20, 2013, 12:20 PM   #42
shortwave

Deer hunting: Started this years ago...I'll pick out a certain buck during pre-season scouting and that's the only buck I'll hunt/shoot. Kind of a chess game between him and I.
Most often...he wins.

Turkey hunting the Spring season with a cross bow has proven to be challenging. Started that two seasons ago. Scored the first season and last season got skunked so current score is one turkey for two seasons.
Old August 22, 2013, 10:46 AM   #43
lwb

I have hunted squirrel for over 50 years with a 22 or shotgun and once in a while with a handgun.This year will be handgun only with a Ruger mk111 with scope,the rifle stays home.The challenge will be getting closer to make the shot.
Old August 22, 2013, 12:03 PM   #44
huntinaz

I guess I've not yet hit that point. It's challenging enough most hunts for me just to find a legal animal and kill it. Plus I (and my family) like the meat too much for me to go hindering myslelf with archery or iron sights
Old August 22, 2013, 03:48 PM   #45
Paul B.

MY preference is to hunt with single shot rifles. However, since I had an accident out in the hill and trashed my right knee, just going hunting is a challenge. These days I hunt through an outfitter for elk and he forbids single shot rifles. I'm going to try and convince him to let me use one nest January when I do my hunt as on the hunts I've done with him so far, an antelope and two elk have all been one shot kills. I've done in a few deer with a handgun and even took one with a bow an arrow. They just didn't float my boat.
Probably my biggest challenge was glassing for coyotes and then doing a stalk. I even had a special rifle built up for that hut, a Ruger #1 action, Remington M7 barrel and a custom stock. A 3X El paso Weaver completed the package.. It was a lot of fun but the coyotes usually won that race. No matter as until I wrecked my knee, I was a pretty darn good stalker especially on deer.
I never have been too keen on muzzleloaders although I am certified to teach muzzleloader in the Hunter Ed program. I just hate cleaning the darn things.
My biggest hunting challenge though is drawting a tag, any tag. I've been here in AZ since 1979 and I've drawn 8 deer tags, 5 elk tags and zero tags for antelope and Bighorn Sheep. Since the knee got trashed haven't put in for the sheep tag.
I just turned 75 so there probably aren't too many hunts left for me so I hope I can get tags next year just so I can get out and hunt.
Paul B.
Old September 3, 2013, 06:50 AM   #46
bird_dog

As I said in an above post, handgun hunting has definitely challenged my deer hunting. Another poster said archery bear. I did that once, too, after killing a few black bears with the rifle. I got one with the bow and it was definitely a high point of my hunting career and the most adrenaline I've ever experienced.

This past weekend's challenge, handgun squirrels. I don't recommend this if you want to make a lot of squirrel stew. I love squirrel hunting, but doing it with a revolver adds a whole new dimension. Lots of shots per squirrel taken, so far:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg taurus squirrel.jpg (248.3 KB, 46 views)
Old September 3, 2013, 07:33 AM   #47
Bezoar

in order to challenge myself, and make it almost impossible to hunt deer. I decided upon the following rules.

1.do not shoot a deer thats already been poorly shot by someone with a bow, rifle, handgun, or buckshot

2. do not shoot deer that have horrible infections.

I do admit, i have broken the rules simply to use a tag on the last day of season so i can put a horribly injured animal out of its misery humanely.
Old September 3, 2013, 07:36 AM   #48
bird_dog

Quote:
in order to challenge myself, and make it almost impossible to hunt deer. I decided upon the following rules.

1.do not shoot a deer thats already been poorly shot by someone with a bow, rifle, handgun, or buckshot

I do admit, i have broken the rules simply to use a tag on the last day of season so i can put a horribly injured animal out of its misery humanely.
So...you worry about humanely putting an animal out of its suffering only on the last day of the season when it's convenient?

Interesting, to say the least. I won't say the worst.
Old September 3, 2013, 09:18 AM   #49
shortwave

Quote:

Bezoar,

I hope that I am misunderstanding your post.

If I'm not... to see an animal suffering and not putting it out of its misery is cruel, inhumane and goes against most every hunters thought process I know. And you sir, have made some **** poor hunting 'challenges' for yourself.
Old September 3, 2013, 09:56 AM   #50
doofus47

This year I"m taking the mtb in deeper and spike camping for a couple days to a week.
Also, I'm doing archery elk. That's a whole cornucopia of additional challenge...