The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 30, 2008, 01:44 PM   #26
BurkGlocker

I had a lever action 30-30 with a side mount scope, and before the purist of lever action use get on my rear, hear me out. It would shoot < 2 inches @ 100 yards consistently, and it has taken many deer, mostly by my step son who had never shot any firearms in his life. Pretty bad since he was 20 something years old on his first deer hunt. its funny now, because even after he got bit by that thing (scope got him right between the eyes) he still loved firing that rifle.

But now I have a .308 Win. Savage rifle, and I can blow up water jugs at 400 stepped off paces. At 100 yards it will punch a quarter sized 5 shot group everytime, given that I dont pull any shots. (plus the handloads I have made it a whole lot better than the factory stuff )
Old July 1, 2008, 08:18 AM   #27
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Cheapskate's Targets: Got a black Pentel pen? Got any typing/copy paper? Got a telephone directory? Got some masking tape or Elmer's Glue? Any old cardboard boxes around? You're in business.

Draw a line down the center of the long way of the paper. Then, using the phone book as a guide for right angles, draw a couple of lines across the first one, about equally spaced on the page. Repeat with other sheets of paper until you're bored.

Tape or glue to some reasonable size of cardboard. Attach to a target frame.

Shoot at it.
Old July 1, 2008, 11:27 AM   #28
thallub

Quote:
I can shoot within a 3 inches circle at 110 yards, with my rifle, is it good enough?

Congrats, you are awarded the prestigious minute of pig certificate. You are certified capable of killing hogs and deer to a distance of 200 yards.

Good luck with your hunting.
Old July 1, 2008, 02:55 PM   #29
simonkenton

"The heart/lung target spread is roughly six inches across, so anywhere within that would work."

Art Eatman you are shooting some tiny deer.
On our little Georgia whitetails the heart/lung area is 10 inches across.
Old July 1, 2008, 05:44 PM   #30
22-rimfire

Here is a link to a website that has some good general targets. Choose what you like. http://www.mytargets.com/

Also, there is a sub forum over at Rimfirecentral that is dedicated to targets. They tend to be focused more on small caliber shooting however. But take a look anyway.
Old July 2, 2008, 02:52 AM   #31
BurkGlocker

Thanks for the target site 22. I wouldve never thought of looking up targets online. will save me alot of money buying those thing from now on!
Old July 2, 2008, 06:11 AM   #32
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

simon, from the standpoint of my intent, the target area is only about two inches across. I much prefer hitting middles to hitting edges. If I started thinking about a ten-inch target, I figure it would be too easy to get sloppy.
Old July 2, 2008, 02:24 PM   #33
simonkenton

Art, is sounds like you think like me:

Aim small, don't miss.
Old July 4, 2008, 01:38 AM   #34
jrothWA

If you can't group your supported...

rifle shots on a paper picnic plate @ 100 yds or 200.
DON't hunt!

Sight-in @200, then anything closer is yours!
Old July 5, 2008, 09:23 PM   #35
T. O'Heir

"...can shoot within a 3 inches circle at 110 yards..." Off hand(standing) or off a bench? What cartridge?
"...have to practice field shooting!..." Sight in about 3" high with the 173 grain load. Then practice at 100 yards, at the 9" pie plate, standing, until you can hit it every time. When you can, you're ready to hunt.