The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 22, 2006, 09:25 PM   #1
carl418

Lee Speed Die: is it any good?

I'm new to reloading, and am buying equipment piece by piece. It's now time for dies. I'm only going to reload .357 mag and .44 mag for revolvers. I've seen lots of people writing about Lee Carbide dies being great, but I've never seen anything about the Lee Speed Die. Does it work? Is it worth getting? I have a single stage press. Thanks for the help.

S&WCA | SAF | GOA Life | NRA Benefactor
Old August 22, 2006, 10:46 PM   #2
amamnn

Lee has come up with some great ideas over the years. I don't know if this is one of them. I can't comment on the speed die because I have not used it. I have used their carbide dies, though. They work as advertised on handgun loads. I noticed that Lee lists a speed die for the .357 mag, but not for the .44 mag.

http://www.10ring.com/Categories/rel...olDieChart.htm
Old August 22, 2006, 11:41 PM   #3
Rimrod

I have a .45ACP speed die. You'd be better off getting the regular carbide dies.
Old August 23, 2006, 06:19 PM   #4
carl418

Thanks for the replies! I think I'll stick with the 3 piece carbide set, even though the speed die would probably be faster. I would rather have 'better' than 'faster' anytime!

S&WCA | SAF | GOA Life | NRA Benefactor
Old August 23, 2006, 06:32 PM   #5
Ausserordeutlich

I have actually loaded ammo using the Speed Dies, so I feel o.k. with making a recommendation. You won't get "better" ammo with the three-die set; don't know where anybody'd get that idea.

The Speed Die also uses a carbide sizing ring; it's just that the sizing ring is removable. The Speed Die works as advertised. It's a lot easier to use on a single-stage press than having to install three die bodies to do the same thing that one Speed Die will do.
Old August 23, 2006, 09:24 PM   #6
BigJakeJ1s

One aspect of the speed die is that the depriming punch is on the expander insert, not done during the sizing operation. I don't know if you can remove the punch from the expander or not, but if not, using pre-primed brass would be impossible. I also wonder about different shape seater plugs for different types of bullets (RN vs FP/SWC/WC).

Other than smaller storage space, I really don't see how these are any better than traditional three die sets. You still have to screw/unscrew something between each step. At least with traditional dies, you can use the Hornady LNL inserts to speed up die changes, if your press supports them. Or if you have a Co-Ax, traditional die sets would be better too.

Andy
Old August 24, 2006, 11:39 AM   #7
Ausserordeutlich

I like Jake's idea of using the Hornady LNL system. Just wanted to relate my experience that the Speed Die does work as advertised.
Old August 25, 2006, 12:36 PM   #8
JNewell

I bought one thinking I might use it in the hand press at the range, but haven't ever done so.
Old August 25, 2006, 09:58 PM   #9
BigJakeJ1s

That's one place where the Speed Die concept would fit very well, in the SHTF kit... Wish they made one for 45 colt.

Andy
Old August 25, 2006, 10:30 PM   #10
Rimrod

The only thing in my SHTF kit is a roll of paper towels and a bottle of oxy-clean. The last thing I will be doing is reloading, just pick it up off the ground.
Old August 25, 2006, 11:51 PM   #11
JJB2

i use a lee speed die set exclusively to load .38 spl and .357 magnum ammo!! they made me a special bullet seater insert to load LSWCs.... it was made from a deprimer expander stem. i think if i got some primed brass that would work just fine for flareing the necks on them to except a bullet......i really like mine !seems like just the thing to use on a single stage press.. altho i accually have two single stage presses on my bench so i ordered another die body so i could use them at the same time..... works for me!!

LIFE IS SHORT..................