The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 9, 2012, 11:49 PM   #1
308Gunner

Which 'Tacticool' rifle would you lean toward?

I'm definitely getting a .22 this spring, and I've narrowed it down to two.

The first is the classic, venerable, Ruger 10/22. However, with a twist;

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/567...ynthetic-black

Option #2 is the GSG5, the MP5-clone .22;

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/55260

At the end of the day, they're both going to be similar; polymer bodies with a bunch of fake stuff that just looks cool. The first one, however, still has a 10/22 at its heart; just a different stock, when it comes down to it. If I invest in the G36-clone stock kit, they come out to roughly the same price as well.

I still feel like I'm leaning towards the GSG5, just because I have always loved the MP5, and well, let's face it, it's highly unlikely I'll own the real deal, which I guess is the attraction to both of these Either way, they're just going to be used for plinking and range time; not thinking these are going to be magically transformed into 'battle hardened' weapons.

— George Mason
Old November 10, 2012, 12:04 AM   #2
alex0535

I like the MP-5 one.

Instead of a fake silencer I would rather just have a black heavy barrel.
Old November 10, 2012, 08:25 AM   #3
TAKtical

There are many better stocks for the 10/22. Nordic and Troy stocks can be fit with a slidefire. Enough said
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old November 11, 2012, 12:03 AM   #4
arizona98tj

You do realize the link you put to the 10-22 is just stock and magazine. There is no rifle included.

I wouldn't waste my $$ on either of the two you mentioned (even if there was a rifle with that stock).

I would get a Smith & Wesson M&P15-22. It gives you the same setup as an AR-15 except that it doesn't have a forward assist. (not really necessary for a .22LR)
Old November 11, 2012, 07:57 AM   #5
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
+1 on the S&W over the 10/22 if you are intending this to be a practice carbine. If you want a plinker I see nothing wrong with the 10/22 but take note that the Ruger is pretty much the least cost effective rifle in creating a practice rifle to use in place of an AR-15 or AK. On the other hand, a 10/22 is a phenomenal platform for an Appleseed specific Tactical Training Rifle and for learning the fundamentals.

The only reason I would take the GSG over the Smith was if my personal defensive carbine was of HK ergonomics. So a 93, 91, or MP5 clone would make the GSG-5 more appealing to me as it would factor into training in those weapon systems.

ETA: Save your pennies and hone your crafting skills and you could get one of these: Vector Arms MP5 Style Rifle

I know it's only semi-auto, but you could SBR it later and you'll save on ammo over that boring full auto.

Last edited by WeedWacker; November 11, 2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old November 11, 2012, 05:24 PM   #6
johnwilliamson062

http://www.legacysports.com/products/cit_m1.html

All I know about it is I want it.
Old November 11, 2012, 06:46 PM   #7
Marquezj16

Between the two, I'd pick the 10-22. It will be more accurate and will function. Plus you did say tacticool. The 10-22 probably has the biggest after market accesories available.

If you want to know about other choices, then check out the M&P 15-22.
You can get it in a rifle or pistol model.
Old November 11, 2012, 07:49 PM   #8
rodent.22

I have the Colt/Umarex OPS, a really fun piece. I also have the M&P 15/22P, which has been discontinued by Smith.
Old November 11, 2012, 08:14 PM   #9
BillyJack3

Smith 15-22.
Old November 12, 2012, 12:08 AM   #10
308Gunner

Quote:
You do realize the link you put to the 10-22 is just stock and magazine. There is no rifle included.
Yes, I'm aware of that. I'm not an idiot.

Quote:
Nordic and Troy stocks can be fit with a slidefire. Enough said
I have no interest in the slide fire. To me, it's a waste of ammo and money.

Quote:
ETA: Save your pennies and hone your crafting skills and you could get one of these: Vector Arms MP5 Style Rifle

I know it's only semi-auto, but you could SBR it later and you'll save on ammo over that boring full auto.
I would love to get that, but at this point in my life, it's simply not cost effective. Maybe someday. But I assure you, I'm very aware of it

Quote:
If you want to know about other choices, then check out the M&P 15-22.
You can get it in a rifle or pistol model.
I handled a 15-22, and similar .22 AR-15-type rifles, and, to be honest, I really did not care for it. Out of everything I've handled, the GSG was the best for me. Now, I have not shot the 15-22 or GSG; like so many, the only .22 I've had actual range time with is a 10/22.

— George Mason
Old November 12, 2012, 11:46 AM   #11
Marquezj16

Quote:
Out of everything I've handled, the GSG was the best for me. Now, I have not shot the 15-22 or GSG; like so many, the only .22 I've had actual range time with is a 10/22.
If you get a chance, shoot the other two. It may make a big difference on your choice.
Old November 12, 2012, 12:18 PM   #12
EdInk

I really like my GSG and would recommend it.
Old November 12, 2012, 01:49 PM   #13
Onward Allusion

Quote:
308Gunner

Quote:
Yes, I'm aware of that. I'm not an idiot.
I don't think anyone was calling you an idiot. Second, as someone who has run the gamut of aftermarket stcks for the 10/22 platform, I can tell you that while the Archangel Nomad looks really cool, it sucks because you ever put optics on it, you will have to re-zero every time if you want to do a thorough cleaning. The top has to come all the way off... The sights on it leaves much to be desired as well.

If you are only concerned with blasting bricks of ammo while maintaining a shotgun pattern at 50 yards, then this is a good stock.
Old November 13, 2012, 05:36 AM   #14
meatgrinder42

I have a 10/22 with the Archangel 'Nomad' (used to be the Marauder) kit on it to make it look like a G36c except with a longer barrel on it. I think it's a pretty cool little tacticool rifle. I even found a set of side rails that were for one of my buddy's airsoft guns that fit right on, which is kind of nice.

Quote:
I can tell you that while the Archangel Nomad looks really cool, it sucks because you ever put optics on it, you will have to re-zero every time if you want to do a thorough cleaning. The top has to come all the way off... The sights on it leaves much to be desired as well.
I have to completely disagree with this. I've had zero issues with my sights wondering on it even after a full disassemble. The sights that were on the top rail also weren't that bad. Yes they're not 'H&k spec' sights but they worked pretty darn well for popping at golfballs and soda cans at the range. I took them off so I wouldn't have them lingering in my optic when I was aiming.