The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 4, 2009, 02:27 PM   #1
Te Anau

Crazy LED flashlights!

I have a number of AA rechargeable batteries sitting around the house that need to be fully drained in hopes of getting a good charge once again.Anyway,3 weeks ago I put 3 of the batteries into a Task Force LED flashlight I got at Home Depot and turned it on.The light has clearly dimmed but at night before I go to bed the glow can be clearly seen! I guess I need a "faster drainer" or I'll never have good luck with my stupid battery hog digital camera.
Old November 4, 2009, 06:57 PM   #2
griz

Does it really help to drain them that low? To me it wouldn't be worth the effort. If it takes three weeks just to prepare for a recharge, I'll move on.
Old November 4, 2009, 07:01 PM   #3
fisherman66

lithium batteries rock
Old November 4, 2009, 07:28 PM   #4
madmag

If they are NMH batteries then there is no problem with memory. The old NiCad did suffer from memory problems, but most batteries you buy today are NMH......no need to drain, just charge them up.

For digital camers get the 2600 mah NMH batteries.

I got tired of the battery issue on my digital camera and bought a new camera with the re-charge lithium battery. Lasts forever on one charge. Now I forget the last time I charged the battery.
Old November 4, 2009, 08:17 PM   #5
ancienthacker

For AA rechargables try the Sanyo Eneloops. They come charged and ready to use. Hold a charge well and have a good output curve. I use them is my Canon S3, my daughters Kodak digicam, 4 Wii controllers, a Fenix flashlight, a electric toothbrush, and a low end RC car. Good stuff. The Energizer rechargables available at Wallyworld do not compare at all.

When I had the older rechargeables I had 4 battery holder and a 3v incandescent flashlight bulb. Took a few hours to drain the batteries.
Old November 6, 2009, 12:40 PM   #6
Te Anau

Quote:
If it takes three weeks just to prepare for a recharge, I'll move on.
Like I said,I need a more effective (radio) drainer.
Quote:
If they are NMH batteries then there is no problem with memory
I was always led to believe this,but using both Energizer and Rayovac rechargeables in my Pentax Optio E10 battery hog this doesnt seem to be the case.When new and fully charged I could get about 60-75 pictures :barf: before low battery warning.A year or so later I'm lucky if I get half that.
Quote:
I got tired of the battery issue on my digital camera and bought a new camera with the re-charge lithium battery.
I will choose one of these as well next time.
Old November 6, 2009, 06:00 PM   #7
madmag

Quote:
I will choose one of these as well next time.
I am not really free and easy about buying new things (except for guns), but going to the re-charge lithium battery in our digital camera has made a huge difference. It makes our camera the way it should be. Just pick it up and use it, no need to worry if the batteries have not been charged for weeks. Simply day & night difference compared to even the best 2600 mah NIMH batteries.