The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 3, 2013, 01:55 PM   #1
WildBill45

Tactical lights and techniques ... new toy!

I will putting together a tactical light film shortly. I can say with confidence that I doubt that any cop in America has searched more homes and/or buildings than I. I worked a very rich area, which borders a not so nice hood, and everyone of these behemoth homes has an alarm or two; businesses do as well. My tactics are based on vast experience, much more than all the training I received in all my years on the streets. I can be a maverick, and an innovator as well in many training areas ... this is one of them.

Today I received the just released and new model Surefire, EB1 Tactical Backup. It is the perfect size for me since I am now retired. Full size duty lights are ok for just that, duty, for an older guy just doing my CCW thing, this class of tactical light appears to be what I have been looking for, but I will wait until I put it through the paces first to see what it has, and what it doesn't have ... all the while doing a tactics film as well.

Lights can save your life; lights can get you dead!!! Misuse, or a lack of knowledge and experience is dangerous with lights, as such is true with firearms as well.

Here is an image I just shot moments ago of my new little companion, or at least hopefully so...

Look for the video soon. It will be fun playing in the dark again ... I loved night training, as the night is when the lions have the advantage, in the long grass, and on the streets or in your bedroom!

I waited for darkness to shoot this demo on my house. This is a bright light!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTnya0WA50E

This is NOT one of the tactical training videos I am talking about shooting, only a show & tell demo of my new toy/tool...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EB1.jpg (80.3 KB, 43 views)

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"

Last edited by WildBill45; January 3, 2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old January 3, 2013, 02:11 PM   #2
dieselbeef

ok ill bite
Old January 3, 2013, 04:15 PM   #3
WildBill45

Quote:
ok ill bite
Bite what??? I do not understand your comment... There is nothing to bite...

A simple show and tell ... nothing more.

Old January 3, 2013, 05:04 PM   #4
stephen426

The Surefire Backup is a great light! It has a high output mode (200 lumens) that is blinding and a low power mode that is great for general use (5 lumens). It only uses one lithium CR123 battery which keeps the size down. Run time for the high output is 1.3 hours and run time for low output is 40 hours (according to Surefire's website). Overall length is 4.4 inches which is right around the width of the average hand. I have the older model and I carry it in my back pocket without any issues. The only issue is these lights get HOT after a while. I'm sure that is the case with any of these high output lights though.
Old January 3, 2013, 06:22 PM   #5
jason_iowa

I have never been disappointed with a surefire product. I would not trust my life with anything less. The only problem is they keep making new models so I keep buying new ones.
Old January 3, 2013, 07:54 PM   #6
Tactical Jackalope

Very very nice!!! Love it. They're the same length. I need to get me another one. I really liked my Fenix LD20 :/ RIP
Old January 3, 2013, 08:05 PM   #7
lefteye

I don't know if any manufacturer warns that these flashlights must be shut off to avoid damage from the heat. I believe this is true for any brand at 200 lumens or more - possibly even the smaller lights at about 150 lumens. The lights are impressive - I've got Surefire, Streamlight and Lumapower - but all will overheat.
Old January 3, 2013, 08:52 PM   #8
WildBill45

Quote:
I have never been disappointed with a surefire product.
This is my first Surefire product. I am an old school retired cop, and Surefire was not around I think or remember when I was still on the streets. I just had it delivered today, and tonight was my first time lighting it up in the dark in the short demo video I added to my first posting here at the top. It is bright!

I will be making a tactical training video this weekend most likely about the use of lights in tactical situations...

Old January 4, 2013, 02:46 PM   #9
ClydeFrog

Surefire, $, features...

Surefire is a top LE/protective services brand. A lot of their kit is a tad high, $ wise, but many "good guys & gals" like them.
I saw a decent rechargeable 5.11 ATAC light. It was bright, has a strobe function(good for control or compliance) and is compact. It also had red & blue lenses for special-covert ops.

Tactical whitelights seem to get brighter & brighter. Soon they'll be about 100,000 lum! Lol.

Clyde
Old January 4, 2013, 07:00 PM   #10
WildBill45

Quote:
Tactical whitelights seem to get brighter & brighter. Soon they'll be about 100,000 lum! Lol.
The brightest competition is just a selling point I think, like megapixels are in cameras! These small lights are for close up work, self defense and work, and are not for using as a spotlight to spot German bombers over London!!!