The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 10, 2013, 10:00 PM   #26
simmonds

Get the M&P 9c. I guarantee you won't ever regret it. The newer models have good triggers with solid, crisp, easy to feel (and hear) reset. Support one of the few American made hand gun manufacturers. Customer service, warranty and support are amazing. Ergonomics and fit is well designed and the choice of three back strap sizes is a huge plus. On top of all that, it's the best looking modern polymer combat pistol on EARTH!!
Old April 11, 2013, 11:13 AM   #27
blackamos

If I were buying a new handgun today one of the other factors would be cost and availability of extra magazines. I am not sure of the others but Glock mags can still be found for around the $30 mark.
Old April 11, 2013, 01:26 PM   #28
VictoriaWojo

Springfield XDM compact 3.8

I have the Springfield XDM 3.8 compact 45 and love it! Super easy to carry, fire and conceal. I am a small woman and love that the smaller mag fits my hand. The XDM also has three grip adjustments so you can fit almost any size hand. My husband uses the mid sized grip on his XDM and I use the small. Comes with a small and a regular sized mag too.

The best advice I heard was to find what fits your hand and you fire best. I shot a bunch of different firearms, different manufacturers, caliber and types. The most important aspect is finding the one that fits you and is comfortable to fire. Then make your choice and practice, practice, practice until it is second nature.
V
Old April 12, 2013, 02:51 PM   #29
breakingcontact

Re: Torn between 3 9mm ??

I like the M&P. But that's me. The Glock 19 is a wildly popular gun.
Old April 12, 2013, 03:32 PM   #30
Dragline45

Personally I would go with the M&P. I think the PPQ is the ugliest handgun since the hi point

Quote:
They still make the Gen 3 Glock 19. I just picked one up a few weeks ago.
That is most likely new old stock.

Last edited by Dragline45; April 12, 2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old April 12, 2013, 05:00 PM   #31
blackamos

I do not think it was new old stock because I was on a waiting list at my local police supply store for a couple of months. I would think if Glock was sitting on a bunch of Glock 19's they would just ship them out. I could be wrong.
Old April 12, 2013, 08:23 PM   #32
Dragline45

Your right amos, just checked around a bit and Glock still offers the Gen 3 models. Good to know since the Gen 4's have been so problematic.
Old April 12, 2013, 08:49 PM   #33
notlikeyou

I own the Walther PPQ and have shot the Glock and the M&P. Hands down I like the trigger on the Walther. It's got a great feel /fit for me. I was worried about the mag release being on the trigger guard but now I find myself loving the feature.

The drawbacks would be if you are looking for additional mags they are damn expensive. Also you won't find the wide array of accessories and upgrades that are available for the other two.

I don't really think you can go wrong with any of the three everything in this thread is one person's take on their experience. I highly suggest finding a range that has them for rent and spending some quality time with each.
Old April 13, 2013, 01:43 AM   #34
kinoons

Mag. Research baby desert eagle fast action mags work in the ppq and are in the $32 range.
Old April 13, 2013, 04:28 AM   #35
Death from Afar

Not really on topic, but why are some of you guys saying the Gen 4 Glock is problematic?
Old April 13, 2013, 07:39 AM   #36
whip1

^ Some of the early Gen 4's had ejection issues. I believe Glock fixed it.
Old April 13, 2013, 09:07 AM   #37
Mercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death from Afar
Not really on topic, but why are some of you guys saying the Gen 4 Glock is problematic?
As stated above the Gen4 Glocks have had some ejection issues, primarily in 9mm configurations (G17 & G19). The problem as I understand it was that Glock initially made the Gen4's in 40 S&W with the Dual Recoil Spring Assembly (RSA) and then utilized the same RSA in the 9mm's thus creating some ejection issues with weaker 115gr 9mm ammo. Just google it and you'll find a plethora of information.

As for the OP's question, as far as shootability IMO PPQ > G19 ≥ M&Pc. However for CCW M&Pc ≥ G19c > PPQ.

The reason I rate the G19 & M&P as roughly the same is that the M&P comes with two mags one of which has an extension on it to allow for a full three finger purchase on the grip thus making it the same size as the G19. However, with the flush mag it makes it slightly smaller but not as small as a G26. This will aide in concealability but could also result in diminished shootability. But with practice the difference could be negligible.

If your considering the gun for CCW, I would forgo the PPQ. Its quite a bit larger than the other two you have mentioned and may result in being left at home rather than carried.

Smaller guns are easier to concel while larger guns are generally easier to shoot well with, therefore: Get the smallest gun you shoot well with & get the largest gun that you will carry 100% of the time.

Last edited by Mercenary; April 13, 2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old April 13, 2013, 06:41 PM   #38
amprecon

I have no experience with either the M&P or Walther, but do with the G19.
I believe they are the quintessential 9mm handgun of our time and utterly proven.
"Cause I got nothin' better to do."
Old April 13, 2013, 07:41 PM   #39
Death from Afar

Thanks. I am not into Glocks, so had heard nothing about it.
Old April 13, 2013, 09:52 PM   #40
treg

Check out the Ruger SR9c.

Problem solved.
Old April 13, 2013, 10:32 PM   #41
pat701

If you are OK with DA/Sa triggers look at a SIG SP2022.
Old April 14, 2013, 02:24 PM   #42
IMightBeWrong

You can't lose with any of the 3. I'd go for the M&P personally and only new because the newer models have drastically improved trigger reset that finally competes with the other two pistols you mentioned. I'd say the PPQ has the best trigger, the M&P has the best recoil characteristics, and the Glock has the best selection of aftermarket parts and accessories so you can maintain it if you're going to shoot the living heck out of it. YMMV.
Old April 14, 2013, 06:42 PM   #43
dayman

PPQ gets my vote. I'd narrowed it down to basically the same group and wound up with a PPQ. But that's because it pointed the best for me, and felt the best in my hand. Might not be the same for you.

One added benefit that doesn't come up a lot is that you can change the sights out on your own with a screwdriver, so you can get whatever sights you want and not have to bring it to a gunsmith to get them installed.

Quote:
If your considering the gun for CCW, I would forgo the PPQ. Its quite a bit larger than the other two you have mentioned and may result in being left at home rather than carried.
The G19 and PPQ are almost identical in size. Plus, the PPQ has more rounded edges, so it should actually be easier to conceal if anything. Both are larger than the MP9c. The G26 is smaller still.

Last edited by dayman; April 14, 2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old April 14, 2013, 07:37 PM   #44

Cpack, I would choose the XDm over the 3 you're considering with the 3.8 Compact model getting the nod for CC, or if you need something smaller, the XDs.

Before you make a final decision, don't overlook the Ruger SR9 or SR9c. Don't let the price fool you and disregard Ruger pistols of the past that were great, overbuilt and a bit cumbersome. The SR9 is world class, and IMO it is the equal or better than anything on you list. It has better sights than any of them and it's the thinnest of all and most likely the thinnest double-stack 9mm you can buy yet still has 17 round mag. capacity. It's thinner in the grip than a 1911, so the SR9 is imminently carryable where thinness counts most. It also has features you'll pay more for with the other pistols like a crowned muzzle with a slide to frame fit that's very tight and a barrel to slide fit with absolutely no movement at the muzzle and no movement in the chamber to slide lock-up. American made by Ruger and with the money you'll save you can buy plenty of ammo. I have an SR9 that only gets loaded with my handloads which will soon include a 147 gr. JHP with +P velocity without +P pressure. I will soon be adding the SR45.
Old April 14, 2013, 08:52 PM   #45
Mercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayman
The G19 and PPQ are almost identical in size. Plus, the PPQ has more rounded edges, so it should actually be easier to conceal if anything. Both are larger than the MP9c. The G26 is smaller still.
They may feel more comparable in size, but to me the PPQ looks and feels larger than a G19. In fact, it felt the same size as my M&P FS. YMMV.

Full Sized Glock (G17/22) vs PPQ

Mid Sized Glock (G19/23) vs PPQ

Mid Sized Glock (G19/23) vs M&P Compact with grip extension
Old April 15, 2013, 10:53 PM   #46
photographix

After months of research for my first polymer gun, I narrowed it down to the G19 Gen 4 and the Walther PPQ.

My first choice was the PPQ, because I'm a lefty, and the ambi controls really hooked me. But they had been in short supply. Nothing to do with the Newtown tragedy, just supply and demand. I had decided to get the G19 as my second choice.

I had rented one and shot it, was pretty accurate with it, but the trigger guard beat the heck out of the middle knuckle of my middle finger on my shooting hand. Figured it was me, not the gun, as so many people like the G19. It's a good gun.

What I liked about the G19 -- or almost any Glock -- was the big aftermarket parts arena, the interchangeability of magazines, and the legendary reliability.

OTOH, Walthers are reliable, too. They have been making guns a lot longer than Glock has been in the gun business, so I figure they know what they are doing.

Interchangeability of magazines on the PPQ is limited pretty much to the P99 and the Baby Desert Eagle, at around $32 to $48 each. Night sights are to be had, but nothing like the variety out there for Glocks.

Personally, and this will probably get a lot of haters, but I think the PPQ is beautiful to look at. I think Glocks are fugly.

Now it was December, 2012. Time to pull the trigger, so to speak.

Went into the LGS to buy the G19. Almost had the guy start the paperwork on it, but stopped him and asked if there was any chance that any PPQs had come in. He said they had just gotten some in.

I took a look, handled it, and said I'd take it. Didn't even want to shoot it first, because it just felt so right in my hand. Much better than the G19 ever did.

After having the PPQ for a while now, I still feel I made the right decision. It points very well, is comfortable to shoot, eats any ammo I feed it, and I'm a pretty good shot with it. Functioning is flawless so far, which is very Glock-like. Hard to ask for more!

A couple weeks ago, I went to the range with a friend who has a G19. We shot each other's guns, and the G19 trigger guard still hurt my knuckle. He said my PPQ was "snappy" on recoil. Probably due to the lower bore axis on his G19 that he was accustomed to.
Old April 16, 2013, 10:47 AM   #47
MLeake

I sold my Glocks, which shot reliably and accurately, because they beat up the middle knuckle of my shooting hand's middle finger, too. This is the first thread where I have seen anybody else mention the same problem. Guess I am not alone.
Old April 16, 2013, 10:04 PM   #48
photographix

You're the only other person I've heard mention the knuckle pain, too. Of all the people out there that have ever shot a Glock, are we the only 2 to experience it? Seems hard to believe....

How bad was it for you? I bought a 50 round box with my rental, and by round 30 I was getting reluctant to shoot it any more. When I shot my friend's G19, one magazine was all I could stand.

(Apologies to the OP: Don't mean to hi-jack your thread. )
Old April 16, 2013, 10:14 PM   #49
MLeake

It wasn't as bad as yours, but was very noticeable after 100 rounds or so of .45.

The only other gun I have had that issue with was a .44Mag Ruger Super BlackHawk.
Old April 17, 2013, 06:09 AM   #50
iblong

I have what they call Glock knuckle It was never painfull,But I do have a large callus on my middle finger and if I didnt shoot IDPA with my 19 I would
relieve the trigger guard a bit.

Tags
glock 19 gen 4 , m&p 9c , walther ppq