The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 28, 2013, 04:58 PM   #1
Walipala

Bushnell TRS-25 RD scope -- is this normal?

I purchases a new Bushnell TRS-25 red-dot recently. It's my first red-dot so I have nothing to compare it with. I notice that in bright light, either sun or incandescent, I see a large reflected image in the sight picture. See the attached pic I took, looking through the sight this morning. It is apparent that this is the reflection of the emitter and the glossy cement holding it in. (Note that the reflection is 180* from the emitter's 4:30 position.) It's not a result of the sight's light/operation at all---the red blob can be seen even when the sight is turned off.

I took the attached pic looking UP slightly through the sight to display the issue better. It isn't so noticeable (i.e. is less in view) when looking directly through the sight, but it can still be seen at the 10-11:00 position. (BTW, the sight is ON here and you can see the red dot centered R to L, in the lower 1/3 of the view.)

I would guess that this must be a result of the basic design of the sight rather than some defect? But in all the (rave) reviews I have read of this sight, no-one's ever mentioned this strange red blob that appears.

Do all TRS-25s do this? Or is there actually a problem with mine?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BushnlTRS25-reflection-A.jpg (24.3 KB, 27 views)
Old January 28, 2013, 06:14 PM   #2
TexasJim

I just checked mine and it does the same thing. I also checked my Aimpoint Comp M4 and it did not have the anomaly. My guess would be that it is simply the design.
Old January 28, 2013, 06:25 PM   #3
Walipala

Thanks. I was just wondering. These TRS-25s have such a great reputation, so I figured maybe the weird image is just something to be expected from the lower priced RD sights. I find it really ugly, but it won't actually interfere with usage.