The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 3, 2011, 09:47 PM   #1
PunchinPaper

Smith&Wesson 1006 Trigger/Action Job??(3rd Gen S&W)

Hello I have a S&W 1006 that I would like to get a trigger /action job on!!
It's a great gun,but the trigger seems a bit springy to me with a little to much travel for my liking. I was wondering if there's anyone that has had any luck getting a nice crisp,smooth pull out of one of these 3rd gen S&Ws. It's not a major issue as it performs flawlessly(feeding/ejecting/accuracy) wise. The idea of slicking this old gun up has just been on my mind. And I can't find any info online on this topic. The single action pull is decent (could be lighter) but the double action pull is springy. I thinking a new spring kit may be a remedy. But I don't know. Any thoughts??

Last edited by PunchinPaper; April 4, 2011 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Not replys -add more info on the topic!
Old April 4, 2011, 11:01 PM   #2
drail

Having shot a S&W pistol (745) in IPSC back in the 80s I am familiar with the basic platform design. The problem with getting trigger work for these guns is going to be finding a smith who understands and is familiar with the design and one who has the correct stoning jig for the hammer and sear. My 745 was a single action only model and the trigger was actually not bad but nowhere near as good as any of the 1911s I have shot since I traded it off. You might try Cylinder and Slide for trigger work on a S&W. While a spring kit may help some the hammer and sear angles need to be addressed and the trigger linkage parts will need to have any slop removed. I think parts for these guns are going to be kinda difficult to find as well. This may be one of those guns you'll just have to learn to deal with the way it is or be prepared to sheel out some hard cash for improvements.
Old April 4, 2011, 11:48 PM   #3
PunchinPaper

Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking.
Being that it was discontinued years ago!
I thought about calling the S&W Custom shop and asking one of there experts about it. But I really don't want to pour alot of money into it.
So I've held off on that call! Thanks
Old April 8, 2011, 06:39 PM   #4
G. Freeman

I used to have several 3rd gen S&W's, and though I was able to improve the single action pull by substituting some wolff trigger return and hammer springs, it just didn't improve the double action smoothness that much.

S&W PC does an action job package that includes return shipping and the price is reasonable. The issue will be how much shipping it will cost you to send it there.

My 4506 was eventually sent to Novak's. The action job itself only cost $90.00 but shipping both ways costed me $150.00 (ouch!). The action job was heavenly, however they buggerred up that flat piece of metal that holds the pins on one side of the frame. A small pinch with my needlenose pliers and I was good to go. I truly regretted selling that one.

Another good smith is Karl Sokol from Chestnut Mountain Sports. Check him out. He is experienced in S&W autos.

Trigger jobs for S&W autos are not expensive, but you have to factor in the s/h.
Old April 11, 2011, 12:43 AM   #5
ClydeFrog

Wayne Novak; S&W gunsmith work...

I'd check Wayne Novak's shop; www.Novaksights.com .
He's considered one of the top S&W pistolsmiths in the nation.
Another good resource is; www.AmericanPistol.com .
You can check S&W semi auto gunsmiths & prices-services.

CF
Old April 14, 2011, 10:48 PM   #6
PunchinPaper

Why was it so expensive to ship? The FFL fees? Insurance or just the actual freight ? My local FFL charges $10 a transfer and that even covers multi order transactions!! Thanks guys
Old April 15, 2011, 05:21 AM   #7
RGPM1A

I just did a trigger job on my 1006. The easiest things you can do are to put a Wolf 2.5 lb trigger return spring and a 16 lb mainspring in the gun. However, you will need to carefully make sure the gun will not suffer misfires due to light primer strikes with a mainspring at that weight with the ammo you shoot (I only shoot reloads using Federal primers which are much more sensitive than most other brands). Mine is ok there but yours may not be. After doing these two things I obtained a 5.5 lb SA pull and a 12 lb DA pull (stock they were about 7 and 14 lb respectively). The SA pull was ok but was a bit mushy and the DA pull had a wee bit of grittiness to it.

A harder thing to do, and it should not be tried unless you are very familiar with the actions of these guns, is to smooth up the DA action surfaces for a smoother pull and to adjust/polish the hammer and sear engagement surfaces, and lighten the sear spring tension for a lighter and crisper SA trigger pull. After I did the additional work on my gun I obtained a crisp SA pull of 4.5 lb and a very smooth 10.5 lb DA pull. NOTE: You should not try doing any of this unless you know what you are doing or you may render your gun unsafe or inoperable.