The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 10, 2000, 05:14 PM   #1
DAL

Can I neck resize only for the life of my brass, or is it necessary that I occasionally throw in a full-length resize? The brass is always used in the same gun, of course.
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.
GOA, JPFO, PPFC, CSSA, LP, NRA
Old June 10, 2000, 05:30 PM   #2
Nukem

I'm using a Lee collet die on .300 Winmag brass and have yet to run it in a FL die. I can't say if your results will be the same.
Old June 10, 2000, 06:56 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I'm like Nukem, except for a .30-'06. As long as the case will go in the chamber, there's no need to full-length resize. Check the length of the cases, from time to time. Trim as necessary...

Happy shootin'!

Art
Old June 10, 2000, 08:19 PM   #4
beemerb

I have 5-308 rifles so I need to full lenght resize.Not going to try to keep it all seperated.Say you just neck size and you have to go to a different firearm,then what?The ammount of stress on case is more but how much more?

------------------
beemerb
We have a criminal jury system which is superior to any in the world;
and its efficiency is only marred by the difficulty of finding twelve men
every day who don't know anything and can't read.
-Mark Twain
Old June 10, 2000, 11:54 PM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

beemerb: Been there lots of times with my '06. I used to scrounge brass from all over. I'd full-length resize it once, and necksize thereafter. And then I'd find another '06 I couldn't live without and it might have a tight chamber. Full-length resize one time and keep on truckin'. Not something to worry about.

Have you meddled around with your "fleet" and compared chambers? Quien sabe, you might be pleasantly surprised...

DAL: It just floated up from the sewers of my memory that after some 20-30 resizings you might want to anneal the case necks. The "how to" oughta be in the archives...

Art

[This message has been edited by Art Eatman (edited June 11, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Art Eatman (edited June 11, 2000).]
Old June 13, 2000, 06:15 PM   #6
DAL

Art, I looked up the subject of case annealing and I MIGHT try it, but then again I might not. It seems like a lot of trouble to go through. Besides, if I can get 20+ resizings out of my cases, or even 15, I'll believe I've gotten my money's worth out of them and gladly toss them.

On second thought, I may just save them in a special "To Be Annealed" box just in case I ever hit hard financial times, or something unforeseen comes out of Washington. You never know.
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.
GOA, JPFO, PPFC, CSSA, LP, NRA
Old June 13, 2000, 11:12 PM   #7
alan

I used to compete, bolt guns mostly, 30-06 and later on 308. Tried both neck sizing and full length resizing. Never noticed that neck sized brass lasted any longer than full sized, assuming that the shoulder was not pushed back to far in f.l. sizing, which some folks might do.
Old June 14, 2000, 10:52 AM   #8
Fred

I neck-size only for a .223, .22-250, and .30-06. Like alan, I don't notice any difference in case life, but I'll continue to neck size only so I don't have to lube cases. Much cleaner and quicker for me.

------------------
Regards - AZFred

[This message has been edited by Fred (edited June 14, 2000).]