The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 8, 2005, 08:27 PM   #1
redhawk41

Leaky Powder Measures

Anybody have any good tricks for reclaiming powder from a leaky measure?

I was thinking of getting a large sheet of paper to put under it to catch the 'spray'.
Old May 9, 2005, 12:06 AM   #2
hivel37

Sometimes these leaks are caused by worn drop tubes. They reach the point of erosion to where cases don't fit up as well. This is aggravated by using flake type powders - Hodgdon LilGun for one. Guess the only fix is a new drop tube or catch the dribblings someway as you mentioned.
Old May 15, 2005, 08:35 PM   #3
MADISON

Leaky Powder Measures

You have not specified which powder measure is leaking.
The LEE Disk powder measure leaks around the top of the disk. My Hornady/Pacific pistol [disk], Lyman 55 and 35 year old RCBS Uni-Flo measures do not leak.
Old May 16, 2005, 08:19 AM   #4
HSMITH

I have 6 powder measures, the only one that leaks is the Lee. It is also the only one I don't use....
Old May 16, 2005, 11:08 PM   #5
redhawk41

well now, as soon as i specify which powder measure i have the only advice i will get is, "get a better powder measure."

yes yes yes, i know the powder measure i am using is not the best in the world, but i got into reloading to try and get a little more bang for the buck, if you will, so i am, for now, trying to avoid spending any more money on equipment and using that money for components instead.

the $50 i would spend on a nice rcbs or lyman measure translates into lots, and i mean lots, of rounds.

and finally, since you asked, i have the lee perfect powder measure that came with the anniversary kit.

so any better ideas than the paper to catch the powder spray?
Old May 17, 2005, 08:52 AM   #6
willsjeep

I bought the Lee Anniversary Kit about 8 months ago and have loaded several hundred rounds of 38/357, 45 ACP, .223, and 30-06 with different powder types. (Ball, flake, and stick) So far I have had no leakage from the powder measure. I read in the manual that comes with it that you can tighten the screw that holds the drum together if you do have leakage. Have you tried that?
I think the Lee kit is great, it does all I ask of it, and the only problems I have had were caused by me. (No, I didn't read the instructions good the first time, but after reading good I was able to solve my problems)
I would try the tighten the screw bit and see if that helps your leakage.
Good Luck,
Will
Old May 17, 2005, 10:02 AM   #7
redhawk41

ya, tightened the screw. can't tighten it enough for AA#9 though. stuff is like sand.

thanks
Old May 17, 2005, 04:34 PM   #8
hivel37

The measure I use is a Redding #3. The drop tube is plastic. Over time and usage, it is not as smooth as when new. When charging 22 Hornet cases, I occasionally spring a powder leak. Necks on the Hornet are thin and fragile, so care must be taken avoid deforming the little boogers by jamming them into the drop tube too forcefully.

The Redding measure is a quality product, as is the rest of their gear. Once adjusted, it will not change.
Old May 17, 2005, 05:44 PM   #9
Zekewolf

I just KNEW this was going to be a Lee thread!