The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 17, 2012, 12:57 AM   #51
jason_iowa

I would never carry or suggest anyone carry a 380. So my opinion would be no. I carry a 45 and a 357 or 44mag. I personally would not carry a 9mil but if that is as large as you want to go I think its much better then the 380.

As far as ammo goes what ever works best in your gun. FMJ to the latest HP is going to get your point across.

For me the most important factors in a SD weapon/ammo

1 reliability, is it going to go bang every time I pull the trigger.
2 penetration, is the bullet going to do the damage I want it to do
3 accuracy, is the bullet going to hit in the approximate area I point the gun.

the vast majority of modern weapons/ammo will do all 3. A smaller percentage will do them to my standard. A smaller percentage are in my price range. etc etc.

Good luck, I hope ya never have to use whatever you get.
Old December 17, 2012, 01:02 AM   #52
2cooltoolz

BANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANG ! ! !

Yep
Old December 17, 2012, 12:28 PM   #53
Carry_24/7

I don't believe any one gun is good for all occasions. I love my commander 1911 .45 ACP, but it don't carry so well in shorts, flip flops, and t-shirt walkin around Orlando on vacation....that's where the LCP fits in.

My carry goes in order depending on dress from the 1911, down to the PPS-9, LCR 38 Spl, LCP, on down to my NAA Pug 22 mag revolver.

Right tool for the job....variety is a good thing. Rule number one...have a gun.

The LCP has its place, that's for sure.
Old December 17, 2012, 11:57 PM   #54
michael t

I carry a 380 almost as much as I carry my 1911. I don't really feel undergunned with a 380 . 380 introduced in 1908 by Colt so must be doing something right.
Old December 18, 2012, 05:19 AM   #55
warningshot

Quote:
Careful..some people think anything lower than something starting with a "4" will bounce off. lol
Double ought buck past 50 yards is N_G, .223 hits that feel like a bee sting, and .380 acp FMJs that ain't powerfull enough to dispatch a wounded deer at point blank range. Yup. We heard alot of them, but probably not all.
Old December 18, 2012, 05:41 AM   #56
warningshot

Quote:
The average SD incident statistically averages 2-3 rounds fired... practice often and make them count.
Since the, 'average', person doesn't see the need to CCW at all, than why bother carrying anything more than 1 round much less the gun? I'll pass along that, "...average SD incident..." statictic to the city work crews whom wash-off hundreds of Gang tags on a daily basis. I'll let the women in San Jose, CA, know that the 2 hold-up bandits she took care of, with the help of Mr. Glock, fell into the statical norm; unlike the other women whom was repeated raped by a gang of 6 to 9 men in Richmond, CA.

Some leave home armed with statical averages, and some leave with a pair of non-average reloads.
Old December 18, 2012, 06:04 AM   #57
thedudeabides

When I'm biking or jogging, I carry a 380 LCP or a P290. Either can be concealed like it's not even there.

Otherwise I carry a P229.
Old December 18, 2012, 09:12 AM   #58
gpjoe

Not for me - I sold my LCP since I wasn't carrying it. I don't find carrying a larger caliber to be any sort of hardship, so the smallest carry for me is 9mm/38 Sp. but frequently carry 45 ACP.

However, would I risk standing in front of a .380? Nope.
Old December 18, 2012, 09:31 AM   #59
lapetrarca53

Love my Taurus .380acp. Reliable and goes bang every time I pull the trigger.

Is it good enough? Sure is! Shot placement trumps caliber every time!
Old December 18, 2012, 09:54 AM   #60
BoneDigger

I have only punched paper with a .380 so no real world experience. I owned, and sold an LCP. I was not confident in the .380 as a defense round. I also hated the way the LCP shot. Since I did not have confidence in the round or the gun, I sold it. My LCP had to visit Ruger twice for repairs. I now only carry a 9mm, which I have complete confidence in.

Todd
Old December 18, 2012, 10:25 AM   #61
Perturbed Panda

As was posted earlier; if .380 is all you're willing to tote, then yes it's good enough. I personally would rather go with a 9mm out of a pure logistic stand point. Shot placement is more important than caliber any day of the week, but to get proficient with your carry gun you need to be able afford to shoot it. I can go out and buy 100 rounds of bulk 9mm for $20, compared to $24 for .380.

I've personally owned a Keltec P3AT, Sig P238 and a Diamondback DB380. I utilized them all as a BUG when I was working for a SO. The Keltec was not reliable. The Sig was a nice little gun, with a good trigger and very low recoil. The DB380 was my favorite though. It just fit me well, and performed extremely well. With all that established though, I still prefer carrying a 9mm as a primary defense gun. You're getting better ballistics out of your gun, and it's cheaper to shoot.

Whatever you decide, just be sure that you're comfortable with your decision. You're the one that has to live with it.