The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 9, 2014, 04:51 AM   #1
kcub

tell me about Wilsons

features you like

models you like

calibers available

Whatever first hand information you may have. I'm leaning towards .45 Super or 10mm if available.

And for anybody itching to tell me to save my money, buy a Ruger or Glock and a bunch of ammo and practice; Ok, it's a perfectly valid opinion, but don't.
Old April 9, 2014, 05:00 AM   #2
thedudeabides

I have a CQB bull barrel 5" and Professional in 45 ACP, both are all steel.

Both are pretty standard, the Professional has been melted completely as part of the extreme dehorn/carry package so it looks a bit weird.

Nice guns. The CQB is pushing close to 40k rounds and has been refinished twice. Might get it a new barrel if it ever stops shooting straight.
Old April 9, 2014, 07:00 AM   #3
Officer's Match

Superb pistols and even better company behind them.
Old April 9, 2014, 09:51 AM   #4
PetahW

+1 Bill Wilson is an excellent 1911 guru.

Old April 9, 2014, 10:46 AM   #5
TunnelRat

Given that Wilson Combat makes more than 1911s, and a number of those, what do you want us to talk about? I hear they make guns that go pew pew. Nice ones.
Maintain situational awareness
Old April 9, 2014, 11:42 AM   #6
CPO15

To address the OPs question: I have a few and the only thing I don't like (other than the $$$) is the stock fiber optic front sight. Bill Wilson swears by them but they are difficult to pick up in dim conditions and just seem flimsy to me. Mine have been replaced quite quickly and at a reasonable cost by Wilson CS with night sights. The counter-sunk slide stop really looks nice, but they do make disassembly challenging until they loosen up at the range.

I do not have a flanged-barrel model, that may be my next Wilson.

Good luck in your hunt and have fun with your purchase.
Old April 9, 2014, 03:04 PM   #7
WESHOOT2

in this example

You get what you pay for.
Old April 9, 2014, 04:46 PM   #8
LockedBreech

I intend to own exactly one ultra-high-end 1911. It will be a Wilson.

Browns can be pretty. Baers can be accurate. Nighthawks can be refined. All are good brands. In my extended discussions and forum lurking for years on end all over the internet, though, no brand short of near-$10k full-house customs seems consistently well-regarded as much as Wilson.
Old April 9, 2014, 05:29 PM   #9
carguychris

Quote:
Given that Wilson Combat makes more than 1911s, and a number of those, what do you want us to talk about?
Ever seen a Wilson Combat KZ-9?

I stupidly passed up an opportunity to buy one about 3 years ago. A polymer double-stack 9mm 1911 sounds bizarre in concept, but man, it's sweet in execution. Great balance, lightweight, superb trigger, nice looking (IMHO), and not as blocky-feeling as you might expect. Problem was, I think it was an answer to a question not many people were asking.
Old April 9, 2014, 07:14 PM   #10
KyJim

Maybe you should start narrowing by deciding what you want to use it for. Strictly paper punching, home defense, carry? That should get you started on size and sight configuration.

My only Wilson is a discontinued model.
Old April 10, 2014, 04:13 AM   #11
kcub

I want a full size, classic I guess. And I think I want hand finished deluxe blue.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=407300700

Although burnt bronze is striking in its own right.

What am I going to use it for? Fondling, shooting cans. I'd like it to have the capability of hunting wild pig or deer. I don't like the look of the compensator on the .460 hunter. .45 Super or 10mm definitely.
Old April 11, 2014, 09:26 PM   #12
Blue Duck

I had a Wilson 5 inch gun built for me in the 90's and it's still my favorite 1911 bar none. I went with the classic blued top, and silver bottom, with BoMar type adjustable rear sight and ambi-safety. I am left handed so I needed the ambi-safety. However, if you are not lefthanded, then I would not get the ambi-safety.

I went with the classic two tone because that was all the rage back in the 80's when I shot IPSC, but couldn't afford a Wilson. However, today, my preferences have changed and I would go with a total blue steel and checkered wood grips.

Don't settle for a Kimber or some other cheaper gun, get the Wilson even if you have to take out a car loan to do it.
Old April 13, 2014, 01:24 PM   #13
kcub

Looking at the Wilson website I see there is a Hackathorn model with fluted chamber. Does that make it less likely to fail to eject when it gets dirty like an extended shooting session?
Old April 13, 2014, 03:34 PM   #14
TunnelRat

Quote:
Looking at the Wilson website I see there is a Hackathorn model with fluted chamber. Does that make it less likely to fail to eject when it gets dirty like an extended shooting session?
Interesting, sort of like an HK P7? If anything it might help with extraction, but man that seems like an extreme to go to in order to solve that.
Old April 13, 2014, 05:22 PM   #15
kcub

Probably ruins brass but hey, if you find yourself in Alamo mode and there's no downtime to clean your weapon, I guess you'd want that last measure of "keep me alive".
Old April 13, 2014, 05:46 PM   #16
TunnelRat

I don't think it ruins it, at least I haven't heard it doing that on the P7. It's an interesting idea at least.
Old April 13, 2014, 06:15 PM   #17
Sharkbite

I was asked for input by the design team of a "high-end" 1911 build (the company was called Spec-ops) One of the features the pistol ended up with was a fluted chamber. I got one of the guns and ran it for a while

All the fired brass had the flute markes on it just like a HK MP5 or P7. That didnt ruin any of the brass for reloading. It was just fine

As for helping with extraction... I just dont know. The gun would NOT run with the extractor removed. So a broken extractor would still put the gun outta the fight. Did it "help" to some degree? Again, i just dont know
Old April 14, 2014, 04:25 AM   #18
kcub

I believe there are HK rifles with fluted chambers that I have heard ruin the brass; I assumed pistol brass would be the same but rifle pressures are in a whole different class.
Old April 14, 2014, 01:44 PM   #19
BigJimP

You keep mentioning .45 Super....do you mean .38 Super ??

I have a pair of Wilson's...both very solid guns / well crafted guns I really enjoy shooting...( I have a 5" CQB with black Armor Tuff finish on it / and a
5" Protector model all stainless in 9mm ) but as far as options I like :

a. mag well speed chute
b. ambi safety
c. I prefer a match grade barrel with a bushing
d. I like a one piece full length guide rod
e. counter sunk slide lock pin
f. Cocobolo wood grips
g. battle sight and green fibre optic front sight
h. pick a model that has the 1" guarantee at 25 yds
I. make sure it has the "bullet proof" part upgrades..
j. if I knew the gun was going to be shot in and out of a holster...(and that's how I shoot all my guns )..I'd either go all stainless or the Armor Tuff finish...not that the bright blue isn't a nice finish, but it won't hold up to holster wear as well as the other two.

I'm not a big fan of the flush cut / reverse crown barrel

The fluted chamber is an "appearance item" ...but their website says it may trap dirt, etc...but you can look at a link on their pages ( at the right side, for most popular options )..../ the fluting is external on the chamber not internal, so it should have no affect on the brass cases...??

I've fired a number of Wilson's ....
a.. Spec Ops ( their double stack 9 ) and its not a gun I'd buy ...not a lot wrong with it, but its not traditional ...??
b. I've fired a few of the SuperGrade models...they are very nice / but they're still 1" guaranteed guns at 25 yds ( like the CQB and Protector )...and they're over $ 5K.
Old April 14, 2014, 02:48 PM   #20
kcub

I just got a quote from them, they don't do .45 Super anymore. I like it myself.

There is a .38 Super Protector I mentioned on gunbroker; I don't really have a Jones for that caliber either.

I have a tough time laying out 3 grand for an 8 shooter. That leaves 9mm and 10mm. Meh...
Old April 14, 2014, 03:03 PM   #21
BigJimP

You know my motto ....everybody should buy and shoot whatever they want !
--------------
I don't know why capacity is an issue for you ....vs quick reloads, etc especially in any 1911....but there are other high quality guns out there in higher capacity....

Like the Sig X-Five, L-1 model....I've had one in .40S&W for about 10 yrs...its a solid gun, all stainless, Single Action, holds 14 rds of .40 S&W ...and I'm very happy with it ..../ its not a better gun than either of my Wilson Combat 1911's...but its a gun that will probably make the top 5 in my safe...along with a Freedom Arms single action, large frame in .357 mag...a model 27-2 S&W revolver 4" Nickel in .357 mag...the pair of Wilsons ...and the X-Five....

http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDe...26-x-five.aspx

I'm not trying to derail your desire for a good 1911 from Wilson Combat...but the X-Five is a little cheaper - around $ 2,600 is what I've seen lately new in box...and they're probably available right now ( so you could shoot it / and save up another $ 4,000 for the Wilson when it comes in, since they're back ordered out at least 9 months right now )...

just trying to help ...
Old April 14, 2014, 05:14 PM   #22
kcub

..and I appreciate it. No one needs to make a 3k mistake.

What, no Colt Python?

I have a X5 L1 .40 and it is a great gun.
Old April 14, 2014, 06:07 PM   #23
BigJimP

Nope, no Pythons....not sure any Colt would / or could ...make my top 10 list of the guns in my safe...

( truth is the Colt's don't fit my big hands )...that's why I went with the large frame model 83 with Freedom Arms for a single action ...over any Colt SAA or the other clones..../ and the grip style on the Pythons are not as comfortable to me as the S&W model 27's....

But Pythons are nice looking guns ...and I understand why guys like them ! Colt Python vs S&W Model 27's are a constant debate among my buddies...
Old April 14, 2014, 06:08 PM   #24
BigJimP

Ok, so why is capacity an issue for you in this purchase .... ?
Old April 14, 2014, 07:01 PM   #25
kcub

mental hang up most likely