The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 6, 2011, 03:02 PM   #1
mooman13

Arisaka type 99

My neighbor fought in the Pacific during WWII. He brought back a type 99 Arisaka but decided to sporterize the rifle right when he got back home and has regreted it, he now wants to attempt to return it back to its military state but he has no idea where to even begin looking for all the proper hardware and stock for the rifle. I thought I would post here and ask you guys if you would happen to know any information on the topic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by mooman13; September 6, 2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old September 6, 2011, 03:33 PM   #2
doofus47

If you troll (in the fishing sense) gunbroker.com long enough, you will see stocks as well as "parts guns" come to sale for arisaka rifles.

Ebay also moves a good amount of arisaka small parts.

Between the two, you should be re-built in about a year.

good luck

edit: I see that their stocks are currently sold out, but numrich also keeps a fair amount of Arisaka small parts lying about:
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/
Old September 6, 2011, 03:44 PM   #3
mooman13

Thanks very much. My fiences' dad has a book that sells the hardware and stock but comes out to be over $200 in the end. Might have to order one part a week till I help him get it rebuilt if we go that way. Just going to have to troll the internet
Old September 6, 2011, 04:42 PM   #4
muddinman_04

I have an uncut T99 stock and handguard, but it's been sanded. It's complete though minus metal. What arsenal and series is the rifle?

I also have a monopod rear band, but again that would matter on what series the rifle is.

Does he want to go as far as putting a monopod and dust cover on the rifle (if it's a series that originally had them)? I may have a dust cover as well, but they are matched by serial number.
Old September 6, 2011, 05:56 PM   #5
mooman13

Nagoya Arsenal and it is a series 2. If the stock is sanded then couldnt you just put a coat of finish on it and make it look, I guess the only word I can think of is "glossy".... I would like to try to talk him into the dust cover but I dont know if he will go for it depending on the price.
Old September 6, 2011, 06:06 PM   #6
muddinman_04

PM Sent
Old September 6, 2011, 08:07 PM   #7
Gunplummer

They used shellac for a finish. You used to be able to pick up yellow shellac at Sears.
Old September 6, 2011, 08:45 PM   #8
mooman13

Gunplummer,

Thank you for that helpful tip.
Old September 8, 2011, 12:19 AM   #9
mooman13

I'm trying to find an exploded view of a type 99 but all I can find is pictures of the type 38. I need this to be able to locate all the parts that I am missing. Anyone able to locate one that I'm just missing?
Old September 8, 2011, 10:51 AM   #10
doofus47

muddinman:
Quote:
putting a monopod and dust cover on the rifle
Ok, i'm going to say this (not to start a shooting war, but just cause I think these things and I wonder if other people do...)

Does anyone find it ironic that Japanese soldiers often took these items off of their factory-issued Arisakas? And we spend lots of our free time trying to find them to put them back on?
:-)
Old September 8, 2011, 10:59 AM   #11
muddinman_04

What report have you seen that says a Japanese soldier removed any part of his rifle??? These rifles were property of the Emperor and removing or modifying it in any way would have meant BIG trouble for the offending soldier.
If you have proof to substantiate your claims that the Japanese soldier was the one to remove these items, PLEASE post them as I am yet to see any reports that it was nothing more than American GI's removing these parts after capture.
Old September 8, 2011, 12:38 PM   #12
tater134

Quote:
What report have you seen that says a Japanese soldier removed any part of his rifle??? These rifles were property of the Emperor and removing or modifying it in any way would have meant BIG trouble for the offending soldier.
If you have proof to substantiate your claims that the Japanese soldier was the one to remove these items, PLEASE post them as I am yet to see any reports that it was nothing more than American GI's removing these parts after capture.
+1!
Old September 8, 2011, 12:42 PM   #13
tater134

Old September 8, 2011, 02:56 PM   #14
jtb1967

The long standing story has always been that Japanese soldiers removed dustcovers because of the rattle they can make. Since I never served in a Japanese unit in WWII, I couldn't swear either way

I have seen folks put monopods on rifles that probably never had them to begin with based on the lack of pods "dings" on the stock.
Old September 8, 2011, 04:25 PM   #15
Geezerbiker

My father told me a story about landing in the South Pacific in a place where Japanese troupes had previously been and there were all sorts of dust covers and mono-pods on the ground. It seems they these were the first things to go in service...

The only original T99 Arisaka I've had had an even patina where these parts would have been and there was no sign of wear marks to make me think the rifle had been used with them in place. This rifle also had the the aircraft sights removed. Anyway once I got it I realized that it wasn't as important to me as I thought it would be so I sold it and bought something else.

Tony
Old September 9, 2011, 09:57 AM   #16
doofus47

Quote:
Have sold off my arisaka stuff, but will look for the reference.
Old September 9, 2011, 10:16 AM   #17
mooman13

My neighbor says that when he first landed if the pacific he would see the dust covers and monopods scatterd throughout the islands. He said you could hear them clank around (on the rifles that kept them) when the enemy soldiers were working the bolt right before they started to open fire on him. If I had something that would start to give away my position I would dump it too.
Old September 9, 2011, 01:38 PM   #18
muddinman_04

They never dumped them...that is an old wives tale. They don't clank around when on the proper rifle. I have several of them with the original dust covers and they make absolutely no difference in sound when properly installed on the rifle.

IF the Japanese did remove them, they certainly would not have just thrown them away! There has been talk about the Japanese removing them during the end of the war for scrap drives, but again, that has been nothing but pure speculation. Logistically, it would be quite a feat to take all of those dust covers to the homeland for scrap.

I'm sticking with what the pros say about it. The majority of them were removed by American GIs when the bolts were removed to ship them home.
Old September 9, 2011, 07:13 PM   #19
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, muddinman,

Being something of a skeptic, I am going to turn things around. What solid, documented, absolute, proof do YOU have that Japanese soldiers did NOT, EVER, remove those dust covers and bipods?

The bipod does not actually rattle, but it is something of a nuisance and could easily catch on gear or foliage; I can see that it might be removed by troops. The dust cover rattle would make little difference to the noise level when working the bolt and firing, but they do rattle (or at least mine do) when the rifle is shaken, as it would be when being carried on a march.

I have no doubt that some concern about making noise in certain situations was paranoia but, as an example, U.S. troops routinely taped their dog tags together to keep them from rattling before going on patrol.

Jim
Old September 9, 2011, 08:22 PM   #20
muddinman_04

James,
Please allow me to rephrase my previous point. I'm not saying that the Japanese did not remove the cover. I am only saying that I would be VERY surprised if they were removed and just discarded or thrown out. Maybe taken off the rifle and put away (in a breadbag or personal bag of some sort) before heavy combat or a patrol...yes, I could see that as (although negligible) the dust covers do slightly rattle when the rifle is being cocked, but it would be replaced after use. Could they have been removed for scrap drives? Possibly, but again that wouldn't make much sense to take them off and have to ship them from some island to the homeland.

I don't have any proof that they didn't remove them. This is not a black and white, cut and paste topic. However, with the strict rules and regulations of the Japanese Imperial Army and the Emperor, I would find it HIGHLY unlikely that there were a bunch of soldiers out there in the field being issued these rifles and throwing parts away on them. Especially with the need for steel increasing at the War's end.

I'm an open minded guy and if pictures surfaced or a document arises showing that they did in fact remove them and throw them out then I would believe it.
Old September 9, 2011, 11:53 PM   #21
James K
Member In Memoriam

Well, you made an absolute, unequivocal statement; I was just wondering how you knew with such certainty since I doubted you were in the Japanese Army in WWII. (FWIW, I wasn't either.)

The fact is that unless you have interviewed Japanese veterans, you don't know a darn bit more than I do about what the Japanese did or didn't do, and anything we post is a combination of reading, war stories and rumor. FWIW, I don't believe that Americans found piles of dust covers and bipods, or that they were sent back to Japan as scrap. If they were thrown away, it would likely have been done by individual soldiers wherever they happened to be when they got tired of the darned thing.

If you want war stories and baloney, get on the topic of the ground "mum" sometime. WWII vets never admitted getting rifles out of depots in Japan after the war; every single Arisaka was captured in desperate hand-to-hand combat with Tojo, if not Hirohito himself. "So how did the crest get ground, grandpa?" "Oh, well, you see..." and the fun begins.

Jim
Old September 10, 2011, 05:06 AM   #22
muddinman_04

You are misconstruing my point. It would be ludicrous to believe that Japanese soldiers were throwing their dust covers and monopods away. There are several reasonable explanations as to why they are missing on some bringback rifles and throwing them away is not one of them.

I stated that the Japanese did not dump them. I don't have to be a Japanese War Veteran to know that; just someone with a good sense of history and common sense toward the topic.

Quote:
If they were thrown away, it would likely have been done by individual soldiers wherever they happened to be when they got tired of the darned thing.
No way!!! The rifle was the property of the Emperor. It was one of the only pieces of equipment to be marked so! Removing and discarding any accessories (no matter how useless) would have been in direct defiance of the Emperor himself. No Japanese soldiers would have wanted that heat over a worthless dust cover!
Old September 10, 2011, 09:14 AM   #23
crazy charlie

If I were you I'd go to www.surplusrifle.com. and cut to the quick to find out if it is worth salvaging. There is a wealth of info on this site and a good source or leads to sources for parts and information.
Old September 11, 2011, 01:13 PM   #24
muddinman_04

Also try going here: Japanese Collector Boards.

There are many authors and professionals that frequent and participate in the boards there.
Old September 13, 2011, 07:27 AM   #25
Magnum Wheel Man

I just picked up a ( I think ) type 38 carbine with full length wood, & an un ground mum, still has the anti aircraft sights... no idea how much of it is original... but the rifle is pretty interesting... I've yet to shoot it... but hopefully will get the chance before the snow flys ???