The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 7, 2011, 11:16 AM   #26
atomicsaladbowl

the gas port is completely clear, i stuck wire thru it and poured bore cleaner into the gas cylinder and it quickly drained into the bore via the gas port, i seriously do not know what else it could be, i think i may be better off getting rid of this headache, you guys think this gun is worth the 240 dollars or am i better off just getting my money back?

Thanks for the help everyone - zak
Old August 7, 2011, 11:48 AM   #27
Chris_B

I've been reading this thread and thinking

Firstly, this is not a USGI carbine. It may- or may not- have a majority of USGI parts on it. Then again it may not. I am too lazy to go look it up in my ATF book. Is this weapon even a curio&relic item?

Secondly, most USGI carbines still work with a minimum of maintenance. The design is simple and robust. I can't help but think something is up with the commercial receiver or the wood that is making the rest of the parts malfunction

Lastly, are we overlooking that classic USGI carbine "failure": oprod binding on the stock or handguard?
Old August 7, 2011, 02:19 PM   #28
NWPilgrim

Quote:
i seriously do not know what else it could be, i think i may be better off getting rid of this headache, you guys think this gun is worth the 240 dollars or am i better off just getting my money back?
It is not a GI Carine and if it was working fine then I would say keep it and enjoy it. But commercial carbines are notorious for being out of spec and plagued with issues. Since it already has one hard to troubleshoot problem I would sell it back to your friend and let him know what you tried in case it helps him narrow it down. Give the reputations of commercial Cabines you never know if you solve this problem it might have some other thing out of spec. Who knows, maybe the gas port is out of spec but do you really want to try enlarging it to find out? IS it supposed to have the same spec as the GI Carbines or is it located differently on the barrel, etc., etc., etc.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old August 7, 2011, 10:47 PM   #29
atomicsaladbowl

Chris I have a feeling that the receiver is out of spec perhaps, it also looks like the wood is a little close to moving parts of the gun.

Don't mean to sound like an idiot, but when you say oprod binding on the stock handguard, do you mean the oprod (slide connected to the bolt right?) binding on the wood stock? or that cheesey metal handguard on top of the barrel in front of the chamber?

NWPilgrim: I think this thing really must be out of spec or something, I am not a gunsmith, but I certainly know how to avoid a gunsmith and take care of my guns as well as I can, and try and repair them when I am able, but this thing has got me completely stumped, and to go any further then this on a "repro" carbine doesn't seem worthwhile, you are right. thanks for the input

- zak
Old August 8, 2011, 06:47 PM   #30
Chris_B

The oprod is the "operating rod". It's what you pull back and release to load the rifle. May be called the "operating slide" officially.

The oprod could bind on either the stock or or I suppose the handguard, but more commonly the stock from what I have seen
Old August 11, 2011, 10:06 PM   #31
mbwarner

I've seen this happen when the gas piston nut was loose. Nut should be snug, and staked in place.
Old August 12, 2011, 01:02 AM   #32
Ruger Packer

You bought it knowing it had problems. So, unless you and your friend had an agreement that if you couldn't fix it that he'd buy it back, I think you're stuck with it. I'd send it to Numrich and let them part it out if it were mine. JMHO
Old September 1, 2011, 06:14 AM   #33
longfastglass

I hope it is OK if I jump on this thread. I have a similar gun (National Ordinance version) that I got with out a magazine. I bought an aftermarket mag for it and he mag does not fit securely in the receiver. It will not load properly. Someone suggested sarcoinc.com for mags. ALSO, I bought Wolf .30 Carbine (7.62x33) FMJ ammo. The bullet will not load completely into the breach. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Old September 2, 2011, 04:10 PM   #34
Chris_B

Quote:
I hope it is OK if I jump on this thread. I have a similar gun (National Ordinance version) that I got with out a magazine. I bought an aftermarket mag for it and he mag does not fit securely in the receiver. It will not load properly. Someone suggested sarcoinc.com for mags. ALSO, I bought Wolf .30 Carbine (7.62x33) FMJ ammo. The bullet will not load completely into the breach. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Hi

I can't help about Commercial M1 Carbines; sorry.

But it's almost always a good idea to start a new thread about your question instead of tagging it at the end of another discussion. Not only is the old discussion 'old' and sometimes played out, it's confusing to start talking about two rifles in the same thread
Old September 2, 2011, 08:09 PM   #35
T. O'Heir

IAI was known for iffy QC. Suspect you have a lemon.
Old September 2, 2011, 08:25 PM   #36
gyvel

You say that manually cycling the action will eject the cartridge normally, but have you checked the tension of the ejector and its spring?
Old September 3, 2011, 01:45 PM   #37
Clifford L. Hughes

Atomicsaladbowl:

Like the M1 guarnd the carbine works best with a grease of the consistency of GI lubraplate. It's worth a try when nothing else is working.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

Tags
fte , iai , jamming , m1 carbine , short stroking