The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 8, 2010, 07:19 PM   #1
reb1254

870 express age

My 870 express has the metal trigger group instead of plastic and it had a 28in. ribbed barrel with the Remchoke. What vintage would it be and when did the trigger group change? The shotgun is a great shooter and has had no cycling problems. I replaced the 28" barrel with a Remington 18" barrel and use it as a home defense weapon now. Are there any advantages in owning older Expresses? I have read posts that newer Expresses may have quality issues. Regardless of any issues, I'll probably hang on to it since it was given to me and I have no money tied up in it. As I said, it seems to be a real sound firearm and I keep it close and loaded at night.
Old July 9, 2010, 02:20 PM   #2
JNewell

Best/easiest/most accurate way is to call the 800-number on Remington's website.
Old July 10, 2010, 11:14 AM   #3
johnbt

The easiest way is to use the barrel code chart.

http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional..._date_code.htm

I don't recall when they changed the trigger group. Mine is a '93 and is metal.
Old July 10, 2010, 03:14 PM   #4
JNewell

Quote:
The easiest way is to use the barrel code chart.

http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional..._date_code.htm

I don't recall when they changed the trigger group. Mine is a '93 and is metal.
The problem with that is that it may give you very inaccurate information because barrels get swapped. The second to most recent 870 I bought was a 1984 Wingmaster with a 1974 barrel. Please see post #2.
Old July 11, 2010, 04:05 PM   #5
johnbt

But it's still the easiest. Who buys a 28" replacement barrel for an Express? Have you seen what Remington charges for one?

I saw post #2 the first time. I suppose Remingtion will be open tomorrow morning if the barrel code chart doesn't do the trick.

John
Old July 11, 2010, 05:14 PM   #6
JNewell

It may very well be the original barrel, but if it isn't, the barrel code is useless information. And, there are a few years when Remington had suspended the date codes, so for those years there won't even be incorrect information.