The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 5, 2010, 09:01 PM   #1
MTUsnoman

New Shotgun Opinions?

I am looking to get a new 12 gauge shotgun. I have deer hunted for years, but have a deer rifle for that and am looking for a good all around shotgun. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and want to get more into grouse hunting and such. Hope to get into turkey and duck in the future also, and will use it for sport. Really leading toward the Benelli Supernova, but open for any input. Thanks
Old July 5, 2010, 09:06 PM   #2
noyes

Have you looked at http://www.connecticutshotgun.com/

They seem to have some nice ones. Eye candy.
Old July 5, 2010, 09:28 PM   #3
KMG5402

Nova or Supernova would be fantastic choices
Old July 5, 2010, 09:46 PM   #4
MTUsnoman

Any opinion if the supernova is worth the extra money over the nova? thanks
Old July 7, 2010, 12:14 PM   #5
BigJimP

Nothing wrong with a good pump gun to get you started in this pastime...

Benelli is a good gun / super nova vs nova I think is primarily having the comfort tech system - and yes, it is worth it to have that system in my opinion. But I am not an expert on Benelli pump guns / and there may be other differences in today's versions.

My preferred pump gun / do everything pretty well - is the Browning BPS Hunter model with a 28" barrel. Its retailing new in my area for around $ 525 and I think its a good gun ( mine are old, but I've had them since the 1970's ) and they're still very solid guns with thousands of shells thru them ( I have a 12ga and a 20ga BPS).

Another good all around choice in a gun is a semi-auto / but you're up into the $ 850 - $1,200 price range. One is the Browning Silver Hunter series / with a 28" barrel / its a good gun as well.

Brownings are usually cast neurtral / so they don't favor a right or left handed shooter. On the BPS, it ejects out of the bottom / which I think is a plus.

The biggest thing on shotguns is "Fit" meaning they hit where you look. Some guns have shims between receiver and stock and some don't ( so you can adjust it a little). Benelli on some models - has comb inserts that will raise the comb. Shotguns do not come in one size fits all ...

The best way to do this is to go to a local range / where you can try a couple of different guns - then make your choice.
Old July 7, 2010, 12:18 PM   #6
oneounceload

I'm with noyes - CSMC....

Actually my gun writer friend will be getting one for a test drive and review any day now - we, as good friends at the club all gather 'round when he comes with a trunk full of goodies to try out...........
Old July 7, 2010, 02:44 PM   #7
BigJimP

You side by side guys ...are just not happy with any "pedestrian" style guns ...

ya know, some of us have hands like baseball mitts ...and we can't shoot that delicate stuff like you "little guys" ..... ...
Old July 7, 2010, 03:10 PM   #8
LanceOregon

There are some semiauto shotgun bargains that are close to the price of pump actions. Most notably the CZ 712, which typically sells for $450

I would advise considering one of these, before any pump action shotgun.

Old July 7, 2010, 05:47 PM   #9
oneounceload

Actually, Jim, he's getting the new A-10 from CSMC..........a nice $8K sidelock supposedly built as a copy of the Beretta SO series.....we'll see.........
Old July 7, 2010, 06:18 PM   #10
Sphawley

Benelli Nova or SuperNova its the way go...
Old July 7, 2010, 06:25 PM   #11
inSight-NEO

Quote:
Any opinion if the supernova is worth the extra money over the nova? thanks
I honestly believe so (I own a Benelli Supernova Tactical).

The main benefit of the Supernova is that it [should] come with a pre-tapped/drilled receiver for various mounts and allows for different stocks to be used (namely the Comfortech and Steadygrip stocks; also there is a collapsible stock available, if you can find one and/or afford it). The Nova, however, does not have either of these features and therefore is somewhat lacking in configuration ability.

Plus, I do believe the QC for the Supernova is a bit higher vs the Nova.

Nothing wrong with a Nova....I just prefer the Supernova myself.

One word of warning, however. The barrels for these things are ridiculously expensive; almost to the point where, should you ever want/need one, you would be better off just buying a second gun. This is why I personally have decided to no longer buy Benelli pump shotguns (brand new ones, at least). But, given that the barrels on these guns are very solid and feature a quality, chrome lined bore...the need for replacing one should not come around that often, if ever.

Still something to think about.

Regardless, the Supernova is a fine shotgun and I am proud to own one as I certainly do not feel as if I "lost" all that much in buying the gun. To expand on this; IMHO, it would be quite difficult to find a shotgun (within the Supernova price range) that offers equivalent features, quality, and attention to detail.

Now is it the best value, over the long haul? This is for the buyer to decide. Either way, the quality is certainly there.

If you do get one, I think you will enjoy it. I have...

Good luck!
Guns are similar, for instance, to automobiles; in the hands of the sane and responsible, they are generally harmless. In the hands of the insane, careless or malicious, they both become deadly. Blame the person, not the means....mechanical/inanimate objects have no mind of their own.

Last edited by inSight-NEO; July 7, 2010 at 07:11 PM.