The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 6, 2008, 07:38 PM   #1
MaineColt

Anyone buy bullets from LEADHEAD BULLETS?

I just ordered some bullets from Leadhead Bullets out in St. John, Kansas. The owner was extremely helpful over the phone, we talked for 1/2 hour about different loads and hunting with the .44 mag. He has experience with the same revolver as mine, (Redhawk, 5.5" Bbl) and gave me some load data that was extremely accurate out of his.

I ordered 300 grain hard-cast with a gascheck. He said they actually weigh 305 each. Can't wait to try them in Texas on wild hog.

Wondering if anyone else has ever used bullets from this guy.

Kev
Old April 7, 2008, 06:18 AM   #2
MaineColt

I'm not advertising for this guy, but this is his website;

https://secure25.securewebsession.co....com/order.htm

Kev
Old April 7, 2008, 09:13 PM   #3
nitesite9

I'm loading the Leadhead 168-gr Keith bullet in .358". It's a flat based Keith bullet like the #358429.

Wonderful accuracy and high quality. Slug your throats and barrel, pick the right powder and the hard alloy of Leadheads really shines!
Old April 8, 2008, 06:35 AM   #4
MaineColt

Good to hear that you like your's as I have a box on its way.

Thanks, Kev
Old April 9, 2008, 09:37 AM   #5
AlaskaMike

Leadhead's is very, very good. If I didn't start casting my own I'd buy more from them in a heartbeat!

Mike
Old April 9, 2008, 11:00 AM   #6
Sarge

I must be the only guy on earth who had a box of these that just wouldn't shoot. They were 44 Keiths and from a proven-accurate sixgun, groups went from this, with Aaron Bittner's 'Keiths'...

...to barely keeping six shots on the silhouette behind, with LeadHead's version. As near as I could tell these 44 bullets had been run hot; they had good-sized, off-center sprue divots on their bases. An acquaintance who was advised of the issues took them off my hands and I never called Tom (who is just a hell of a nice guy) about them.

I also ordered a thousand 200 grain .45 SWC at the same time as the Keiths. They have been decent enough bullets, grouping in 4" at 50 yards
from my rattletrap 1911, using range mongrel brass. They are neither the best nor the worst bullets of this type I have run through this gun.

I think what happened in the case of the Keiths was, as usual, I managed to get the only bad example of an otherwise decent product. Lots of other folks have thought LeadHeads were fantastic and I wouldn't steer anyone away from them based on my results.
Old April 10, 2008, 08:29 AM   #7
MaineColt

Sarge,
Sorry to hear about your poor luck with those bullets.

I talked to Tom over the phone. Extremely nice guy. When I told him that I was going to load his 300 grain bullets in my .44 Redhawk for boar hunting this summer, he gave me load data that was very accurate in his brother's Redhawk. (300 grain hard-cast with gas check, 21.0 of W296, CCI, mag primers) He says they made one ragged hole @ 25 yds. I'll know what they'll do in my Redhawk as soon as they get here. He also said that this load shot lengthwise through a large boar.

Kev
Old April 10, 2008, 09:31 AM   #8
UniversalFrost

you might have been crimping too much to get them to "fly" . This is usually the case when I switch manufacturers and find that the new bullets won't pattern worth a darn. A little less or more crimp and you would have closed up the pattern.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old April 10, 2008, 02:49 PM   #9
Sarge

UF,

I have been loading Keith and SWC bullets since the 70's and am well familiar with the methods of perfecting the crimp for cast bullets, with and without crimping grooves. I shot about 100 of these as I went through the various protocols and powder/charge adjustments, trying to find the sweet spot.

The OP asked if anyone has used LeadHeads and I answered up, complete with the qualifier that I had the misfortune of getting what appears to be the only bum box of bullets from this guy, in recorded history. I also gave a fair rating of the .45's I got from him. These are the only SWC bullets I ever tried that just flat would not shoot. I've been at this long enough to know the difference.
Old April 10, 2008, 05:56 PM   #10
W. C. Quantrill

We have used a thousand Leadhead 270 gr .45 Keiths now with no complaints. They are accurate, and they penetrate deep. In fact, I have not recovered one yet from a deer as they pass through with a tremendous wound channel.

We are making killing shots out to about 80 yards with the heavy Rugers. Most of the time, the deer drop right there. I have not had one go more than 40 yards.

Tom is not a stranger in the bullet world.
Old April 11, 2008, 09:53 AM   #11
MaineColt

We have used a thousand Leadhead 270 gr .45 Keiths now with no complaints. They are accurate, and they penetrate deep. In fact, I have not recovered one yet from a deer as they pass through with a tremendous wound channel.

We are making killing shots out to about 80 yards with the heavy Rugers. Most of the time, the deer drop right there. I have not had one go more than 40 yards.

Tom is not a stranger in the bullet world.

That's great to hear. Just what I was hoping for when I started this post.

Kev