The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 2, 2009, 08:22 AM   #1
Ron

Anyone Loading for the 380

I just purchased a Sig P232 in stainless yesterday for concealed carry only and don't know If I'll be shooting it enough to reload. If you do, could you post your opinion on powders, bullet selections for this caliber?

Ron
Old April 2, 2009, 08:37 AM   #2
45Marlin carbine

I reload rounds useing BullsEye or Red Dot under 95gr cast slugs from Mike at mastercastbullets for practice rounds. shoots good. also I load 102gr Remington Golden Sabres over BE for s-d/h-d rounds. there is little difference in POA slug strike.
Old April 2, 2009, 09:35 AM   #3
Nate1778

I have just been reloading for it for a couple months now. Using Unique, and two types of bullets, one is the 95 grain round nose jacket and the other is a 105grain flat nose lead. Both work well, although the lead flat nose bullet does not like my .380. Not the bullets fault, more the guns fault, which likes the round nose. The flats cycle through my brothers Bersa with no issues.
Old April 2, 2009, 09:55 AM   #4
Sevens

Some folks have found that Unique seems to wring the most power out of .380 reloads while staying within pressure specs. IMO, I will not use Unique simply because with such a small cartridge and small internal space, there's not much room for error. And I get a lot of error trying to consistently meter Unique. Others may do fine, but Unique (and Green Dot, for that matter) give me a headache in charge consistency. I've made no secret that Unique and I just don't have a decent working relationship. So many people are fans of the "combustible dirt", but I would sooner use any of a dozen powders before Unique for most applications.

So I went with two of my "go-to" powders... the two I likely use the most. Bullseye and Alliant Power Pistol.

I'm using Berry's 100 grain Plated Round Nose bullets. These give decent performance... considering that we are talking about a very small handgun, short sighting plane and the short distances I shoot it, they've grouped nicely with both loads I've used. And they are cost effective, though never as cheap as cast lead of course. Berry's are great folks to deal with, they ship quickly and for free and I also love their plastic ammo boxes. Check them out on the web for decent plated bullets.

With the Power Pistol, I have found that 4.4 grains with the Berry's 100 gr Pl-RN and a COAL of 0.975" does what I ask-- feeds every time, groups nicely on target and gives a nice, healthy snap with the pistol. (Bersa Thunder)

The Bullseye powered load that also works for me is 3.1gr Bullseye pushing the same Berry's 100gr Pl-RN with the same 0.975" COAL. I find these to be a bit hotter in recoil, but both loads are within listed spec.

Hope these help, but PLEASE make sure to triple check my load data before stuffing them in to your very nice little Sig!
Old April 2, 2009, 10:01 AM   #5
Nate1778

Yeah but Sevens, how do you really feel about Unique...........
Old April 2, 2009, 10:20 AM   #6
Sevens

Hey, I'm not making Unique-bashing a priority (I even said that it's supposed to return very good performance, velocity-wise all while staying at a decent pressure in .380 loads) but I just can't find a good way to use the stuff. I tried it in 9mm, and the accuracy was poor. I used it in .38 Special, but it didn't give me anything I couldn't do with a smaller charge of Bullseye. I tried it in .44 Mag, and it was okay for powder puff plinking loads, but I don't really see the point in making light .44 Mag loads when I have all these other calibers for that.

I have a partially used one pound can of this stuff... and if I live to be a hundred, I bet I still have half a can when that day comes!
Old April 2, 2009, 01:26 PM   #7
rdmallory

Using Hp 38

95 GR. SPR FMJ Hodgdon HP-38 2.9 Works for me.

Brass is drying up, primers have dried up, Bullets are back ordered.
Old April 2, 2009, 01:29 PM   #8
Ron

I was told by someone to be very careful crimping the 380, I rarely crimp pistol cases, but whats the take on crimping the 380?

Thanks, Ron
Old April 2, 2009, 02:10 PM   #9
Nate1778

Ron I have never had a problem with it, using a the Lee factory Crimp. I have only done a lite crimp though as it is all I have found I needed.
Old April 2, 2009, 02:35 PM   #10
benzuncle

I load 102gr Remington Golden Sabers behind 3.1gr of HP-38. Golden Sabers cycle extremely well. I have never had one hang up. I use the Lee 380acp Carbide Dies and the FCD in my 4-hole turret press.
Old April 2, 2009, 05:17 PM   #11
Ron

Thanks for all the information guys, looks like I'm fixin to be reloading some 380's. I like to shoot all my guns and these 380's can't be found anywhere local, and what is on the shelf is 49.95 a box of 50.

Ron
Old April 2, 2009, 07:50 PM   #12
powerboatr

i have re-loaded over 2k of 380 using accurate #7 at 5.o grains, with a 100gr rn berry, for range times.
really like the set up, it has enough push to remind you its a 380, but not so harsh your range time ends with sore hands.

using a dillon square deal reloader
Old April 2, 2009, 10:31 PM   #13
FrankenMauser

I have used Titegroup, HP-38 (W231), and Unique. Unique worked the best, especially behind Berry's 100 gr HB.
Old April 2, 2009, 11:10 PM   #14
Dave R

What FrankenMauser said.

I like that Unique fille the .380 case pretty well. Meters fine in my UniFlow. Yeah, it makes the handle throw gritty. But it measures OK anyway.

That Unique/100gr. Barry's load makes my P-3AT very happy.
Old April 4, 2009, 09:50 AM   #15
WESHOOT2

R-P 88g JHP, W231 / HP38.......
Old April 10, 2009, 11:59 AM   #16
James R. Burke

Glad to be reading this posts. I have a .380 that so far I have not reloaded for. The way things are going I am probalbly going to start. Thanks for all the info.
Old April 10, 2009, 01:30 PM   #17
Ron

I've got 500 cases, a set of used dies, and 1 mold coming so far, Looks like I'm on my way. Plenty of unique, 231, and 700x to finish this setup up. Thanks everyone for all the replys.

Ron
Old April 10, 2009, 03:27 PM   #18
alfack

I use 3.5 grains of AA#2 behind 95gr. FMJRNs. Seems to work very well for me.
Old April 12, 2009, 05:06 PM   #19
Stargazer

I use 4.4 grs. of Unique under a Speer 90 Gr. HP, Magtech primers. I get 960 FPS, real close to Hydra-Shok and Gold Dot speeds. No flash either and very little smoke. As others have stated it is a case full but not compressed. It is a little snappy in recoil but the Ruger LCP is a snappy type of little pistol.

Here's a slow motion video showing no flash, you can see the slide coming back and the barrel exposed.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~ispyu2/slo4.42.wmv

M70 Web Page