The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 30, 2001, 11:18 AM   #1
Poodleshooter

The military canister grade equivalent to WW748. If so, what load data is provided with it? How close is it to 748? Do you have an easy time converting it over to non-military cartridges that you could normally use WW748 in, such as the 30/30?
Old January 30, 2001, 05:10 PM   #2
Cheapo

Not yet, but...

I've heard it's more like Ball-C(2). I've only loaded Ball-C Lot 1! Lead bullets in an M1, but that was a long time ago.

Anyway, I was all ready to order a keg but never got a reply when asking for a quote on shipping. Now my shooting money is drying up. Anyone want to split a keg of WCC846? I'm near Las Vegas.

This powder has my interest because of my SUPERB experiences with WW-748. I'd use nottun' else if I wuz rich.
Old January 30, 2001, 06:25 PM   #3
CHAINSAW

I have used BLC-2, W748 and WC846. Most of the time in 8lb. containers. Most of the time I load 3 rounds and chrono them to check out the new canister. I find them to be somewhat interchangeable, but this depends on the lot#. With each new container, I start over with load density. I load 30-30 and .308 with them. BLC-2 was used for 7.62x39mm for awhile also. I have always used CCI or Rem. Magnum primers with these powders.

ALL THAT IT TAKES FOR FREEDOM TO PERISH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING----------CHAINSAW
Old January 31, 2001, 06:34 AM   #4
swampyMO

Poodleshooter,

The WC-846 that I buy is equal to BL-C2. Meters well, burns clean.

It works well for me in both .308 and .223. My most accurate .308 load uses it.

I've tried a few loads in 30-06 but the jury is still out at this point. It seems to have a lot bigger "BOOM" & muzzle blast in the '06 for some reason. A couple guys in my local High Power club use it in their M1's & like it....

Swampy
Old February 4, 2001, 01:31 AM   #5
alan

Experience with WC 846. Still have a bunch of it, originally it came in PAPER BAGS at about $.50/#. Surplus Winchester manufactured ball type powder, double base, burning rate between BLc2 and H335, according to Winchester people at St Marks Fla plant. Originally made for m-60 machinegun ammunition and NATO ball ammo.

Supposedly, there were different lots with differing burning rates. Most of the 846 originally released was NOT appropriate for 30-06, but o.k. for .223, 55 grain bullets and 308. I used it in 308 bolt guns, usually with 168 grain Winchester bullets, no longer produced, so far as I know and FA Match bullets. 41 or 42 grains, depending on which rifle, Winchester primers and Match brass (Lake City). It worked very well, clean burning, metered very closely, though ball powders all do.

One thing I noticed, or mostly was told about by others. Every now than then, the report sounded different, recoil pulse felt different, and one hell of a long flame at the muzzle, along with an orange colored halo. This was caused by the lack of deterent coating, since the military arms using 7.62 NATO all had flash superessors.

Do not know about the relationship between it and 748, if any.
Old February 4, 2001, 04:46 AM   #6
Bud Helms

I've never used it, but I have an old chart that shows WC846, W748, BL-C2 and H335 all bunched up reeeal close together.