The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 13, 2004, 12:37 AM   #1
fyrestarter

A good gunsmith in NY?

I'm just looking for an all-around top quality gunsmith in the NY metro area. Not a guy who "tinkers with triggers" or any basement jack, but someone who can tune, fix, upgrade and machine 1911's. I know of one guy, Michael Britt, but he's a bit expensive for routine stuff. Anyone have any good experiences with NY smiths?

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine."
--Thomas Jefferson
Old July 18, 2004, 05:14 AM   #2
K80Geoff

Well I always used Vinny at Tee Dee range in Yaphank. Knows his way around a 1911 and AR.

But you being from NYC probably won't be able to find your way out there.

www.tee-dee.com
Old July 22, 2004, 10:32 PM   #3
cas

North of the city a ways there is http://www.jcbgunsmith.com/. Never had him do anything for myself, but know a few who have had various work done. Might be too far from you though.

Savage24.com
Cylindersmith.com
Old August 8, 2004, 10:54 PM   #4
Bladeandbarrel

Your best option is hardball gunsmithing in Norwalk, CT.
I lived upi your ways for a long time. There are no decent 1911 smiths in metro nyc. Norwalk is about a 1.5 hr ride from LI via I-95.
Old August 9, 2004, 11:43 AM   #5
Hawgleg44

If it were me, I'd just go with someone who is well known and ship the 1911 to him. I can't say enough about Karl Sokol of Chestnut Mountain Sports in W. Rutland, VT. He's done several revolvers for me, but he's also customized 3 1911's for my friend, and they are absolutely perfect.

There has been several articles on his work in Comban Handguns. Along with many friends and competitors that I've known that have had work done by him, everyone from SWAT team members, DC cops, SEAL team members (VERY nice S&W M625) and people from all around the world. Instead of having someone local you really don't know much about do the work, I would highly recommend having Karl do it. I can guarantee you won't find a single flaw in his work.

I don't have his number right here, but if you call information for W. Rutland, VT, they can give it to you.

Hope this helps.

It is important to keep in mind the ISP reports show that firearm related homicides decreased 56% from 1994 to 1998.

From 1998 to 2002, firearm related homicides increased 48%. During the same time, firearm related accidental deaths have increased 200%.

Will work for ammo.
Old August 19, 2004, 11:37 PM   #6
Arc Angel

^^^ What he said!