The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 17, 2013, 09:56 PM   #1
Silver00LT

Spare parts box...what do you PACK

Well...I want to keep a tool box of parts and all for each of my weapons in case I need a part quickly I can replace it right then and there.

I'll be honest...I normally just wait til it breaks THEN replace it. The ammo shortage got me thinking though. What if it breaks and I can not acquire the part quickly. My G26 is my CC weapon and my main line of self defense when I am outside the house. Along with my wifes SR22 so I am starting my spare parts box with these two firearms FIRST.

My goal is to have a minimum of 1 extra part for each component that is replaceable. Now springs and firing pins I will have 2x or more.

Never built a parts box before...so looking for ideas? I am use to taking my service weapon to the armorer and they replace the parts right there. But personally owned firearms I do not have that privilege.
Old May 17, 2013, 11:25 PM   #2
kraigwy

If I had to carry spare parts for my SD pistol/revolver, I'd find me another pistol/revolver.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 18, 2013, 07:53 AM   #3
g.willikers

The best parts collection is in the second gun.
Murphy sez that the best way to avoid needing a spare part is to have it on hand.
Old May 18, 2013, 08:21 AM   #4
Nathan

All components are replaceable.

Personally, I find having a few spare guns the best way. Then I can just swap to a new gun while my main one is being repaired.
Old May 18, 2013, 08:59 AM   #5
ClydeFrog

Glock tool; tool plug, Ballistol, LPX, Gunzilla...

If you are rocking a Glock semi auto pistol, Id buy a Glock armorer tool, maybe a Glock plug with the tool parts(handy ), maybe a BoreSnake Viper barrel cleaner, some CLP like a 4 fl oz bottle of Mpro7's great LPX, Gunzilla, Ballistol or Weaponshield. A nylon Kleen Bore mag brush, a lint free clean rag or old T shirt, a Bore-Store bag(for protective storage NOT security), a nylon toothbrush or 2(OD GI/armorer issue), maybe some canned air or a medium size magnifying glass(if you are hard corps, like me ).

For gun care items & Glock products see; www.glockworx.com www.glockstore.com www.Mpro7.com www.brownells.com www.glockbooks.com www.uscav.com www.natchezss.com www.weaponshield.com www.gunzilla.us www.midwayusa.com www.cabelas.com www.grafs.com www.policehq.com .

CF
Old May 18, 2013, 09:01 AM   #6
Silver00LT

What I am getting at is....there are components to replace with normal wear and tear.

You're not going to replace an entire firearm for a worn out recoil spring are you? That's like replacing a car just for a broken belt.

Quote:

Personally, I find having a few spare guns the best way. Then I can just swap to a new gun while my main one is being repaired.
And if you're unable to send that weapon off to be fixed are you just going to let it sit? If its a worn spring or broken firing pin. I'm not going to send a weapon off to be fixed when its a simple fix. Now if its like how my Keltec PF9 was...then its just getting sold AS IS. I have several firearms...but my two CCs are going to have spare parts even if they don't need them.

Quote:
If you are rocking a Glock semi auto pistol, Id buy a Glock armorer tool, maybe a Glock plug with the tool parts(handy ), maybe a BoreSnake Viper barrel cleaner, some CLP like a 4 fl oz bottle of Mpro7's great LPX, Gunzilla, Ballistol or Weaponshield. A nylon Kleen Bore mag brush, a lint free clean rag or old T shirt, a Bore-Store bag(for protective storage NOT security), a nylon toothbrush or 2(OD GI/armorer issue), maybe some canned air or a medium size magnifying glass(if you are hard corps, like me ).

For gun care items & Glock products see; www.glockworx.com www.glockstore.com www.Mpro7.com www.brownells.com www.glockbooks.com www.uscav.com www.natchezss.com www.weaponshield.com www.gunzilla.us www.midwayusa.com www.cabelas.com www.grafs.com www.policehq.com .

CF
Thanks for the links. I only had 3 of the ones you posted. Going to browse since the yard work has been temporarily delayed due to massive flooding. LOL

Last edited by Silver00LT; May 18, 2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old May 18, 2013, 05:16 PM   #7
745SW

In the distant past I had spare parts for my Colt AR15, not anymore. Today and for the past decade or more I’m more incline to have another identical firearm. My reasoning has to do with cost and value, the total cost of the parts of a firearm will grossly exceed the cost of the individual firearm. Similar to a motor vehicle the total sum cost of parts will be greater than the vehicle, perhaps as much a three times.

Normal replacement/wear parts for a pistol would be the recoil spring or RSA (recoil spring assembly) and firing pin/striker spring. Any additional parts replacement within a reasonable life round count not attributed to abuse I would contemplate dumping the firearm. I would degrade the life round count substantially for magnums or like magnums and for pistols that have a smaller form factor than full size.

I don’t share the same mentality as hardcore video gamers where replacing the console every few months or years is normal and acceptable. The consoles are designed to fail because of the use of BGA (ball grid array) in place of the normal pins and sockets. Use of BGA gives the console more upfront consumer value at the cost of long-term life. The maker sells the consoles at a loss but will eventually make it up by selling more consoles.

Another element to consider when stocking parts is the popularity. The 1911 and Glock have extensive after sales support. Part acquisition shouldn’t be an issue, well sort of. I’ve been trying to get a replacement barrel for my Glock 19C at the various shows but no enchilada. My take on this is folks don’t need/want a replacement part, they only want something different. Such as a ported or longer barrel and/or regular rifling instead of the polygonal.

Reasonable care of the pistol IMO would be expected for a problem free service life. Thousands of rounds without cleaning and lube I would consider a torture test.

Last edited by 745SW; May 18, 2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old May 18, 2013, 06:22 PM   #8
RamItOne

Gun A goes down, gun B comes up
I'd rather keep my parts box filled with ammo

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old May 18, 2013, 06:40 PM   #9
Silver00LT

Quote:
In the distant past I had spare parts for my Colt AR15, not anymore. Today and for the past decade or more I’m more incline to have another identical firearm. My reasoning has to do with cost and value, the total cost of the parts of a firearm will grossly exceed the cost of the individual firearm. Similar to a motor vehicle the total sum cost of parts will be greater than the vehicle, perhaps as much a three times.

Normal replacement/wear parts for a pistol would be the recoil spring or RSA (recoil spring assembly) and firing pin/striker spring. Any additional parts replacement within a reasonable life round count not attributed to abuse I would contemplate dumping the firearm. I would degrade the life round count substantially for magnums or like magnums and for pistols that have a smaller form factor than full size.

I don’t share the same mentality as hardcore video gamers where replacing the console every few months or years is normal and acceptable. The consoles are designed to fail because of the use of BGA (ball grid array) in place of the normal pins and sockets. Use of BGA gives the console more upfront consumer value at the cost of long-term life. The maker sells the consoles at a loss but will eventually make it up by selling more consoles.

Another element to consider when stocking parts is the popularity. The 1911 and Glock have extensive after sales support. Part acquisition shouldn’t be an issue, well sort of. I’ve been trying to get a replacement barrel for my Glock 19C at the various shows but no enchilada. My take on this is folks don’t need/want a replacement part, they only want something different. Such as a ported or longer barrel and/or regular rifling instead of the polygonal.

Reasonable care of the pistol IMO would be expected for a problem free service life. Thousands of rounds without cleaning and lube I would consider a torture test.
As far as your concerned only keeping wear and tear items under normal conditions is as far that you would go?
Old May 18, 2013, 10:35 PM   #10
745SW

“As far as your concerned only keeping wear and tear items under normal conditions is as far that you would go?”

Yes because most pistols I have two identical pieces. The only exception is my 45auto, S&W 745, I have four pieces. My all time favorite 45auto. It don’t jam, but that’s not uncommon with the older S&W’s.

In the distant past had three Colt Gold Cup’s series 70, now it’s down to one that has been customized. I found, over the years, the 1911 just isn’t as reliable using my handloads as the 745. Reloading, IMO, is especially well suited for the 45ACP because its both comparatively easy and the cost savings substantial.

My loads for the 45ACP are target powered using a 200gr lead SWC with 4.0gr of Bullseye or 4.2gr of 700X. Loads for the 9mm is similar. Wear and tear should not be an issue.

I may eventually get additional parts for my Glock like the sleeve and cups for the striker largely because I may loose the part during cleaning/disassembly. I was not thinking, actually careless, when removing the rear cover of the slide recently and parts went flying after being hit in the eyelid. Luckily found all the parts and my eyelid is fine.
Old May 18, 2013, 10:47 PM   #11
745SW

In case it was missed here’s a link right here under TFL of a Glock Gen1 17 with an exceptionally high round count. If I/we get a fraction of this I think we are looking good.

Gen 1 Glock 17 with 348000 rounds fired
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523220
Old May 19, 2013, 11:29 AM   #12
danez71

Quote:
I don’t share the same mentality as hardcore video gamers where replacing the console every few months or years is normal and acceptable. The consoles are designed to fail because of the use of BGA (ball grid array) in place of the normal pins and sockets.
BGA can withstand greater shock and vibration than DIP and socket and is cheaper due to eliminating the lead frame and socket.

Quote:
Use of BGA gives the console more upfront consumer value at the cost of long-term life.
The BGA has better long term reliability. Even the military and space industries have practically eliminated all through hole and socketed IC parts unless the design requires the part be easily removed such as needed by a lot of UVEPROM designs but those have been phased out with the use of FlashEPROMs.

Quote:
The maker sells the consoles at a loss but will eventually make it up by selling more consoles.

At the volumes they're selling....If they're selling consoles at a loss... the only thing that's going to happen if they sell more consoles is that they will have more losses.

But back to the OP. I'm considering having a small spare parts pack for some of mine too. And then I'll have to learn how to replace parts. Ive never replaced a firing pin. But Ive never had one fail either.
Old May 19, 2013, 05:55 PM   #13
Silver00LT

Only time I've replaced a part is a firing pin on a M16A2. Then again I know that weapon like the back of my hand so its like butter.

My new M16A2 until we get our M4s in...looks like she just came off production line and she is nearly 16 years old! I'm OCD when it comes to cleaning.
Old May 19, 2013, 07:15 PM   #14
745SW

“BGA can withstand greater shock and vibration than DIP and socket and is cheaper due to eliminating the lead frame and socket.”

“The BGA has better long term reliability. Even the military and space industries have practically eliminated all through hole and socketed IC parts unless the design requires the part be easily removed such as needed by a lot of UVEPROM designs but those have been phased out with the use of FlashEPROMs.”

My point was it fails in game consoles. Additionally BGA used in desktop PC’s and notebooks are also known to fail. Once it fails and fixed it will fail again. Really not designed to be serviced, built-in obsolescence, disposable.

BGA works fine in applications such as watches, calculators, cameras, portable game consoles and generally all portables. The reason, heat is not much of a factor because of the limited power of the battery coupled with the need to have an acceptable runtime.

“At the volumes they're selling....If they're selling consoles at a loss... the only thing that's going to happen if they sell more consoles is that they will have more losses.”

Other than rare earth materials I believe the per unit cost will drop with increasing volume.

In fairly recent times the video gaming industry has found it’s not immune to forces of the economy and notebook PC’s have over taken desktop PC’s. Notebook sales haven’t been rosy compared to products like the iPad, a portable product. Has the consumer wised up?

Personally I feel a disposable product should be labeled/priced as such like a Bic lighter.
Old May 21, 2013, 12:51 AM   #15
DBLAction454

Re: Spare parts box...what do you PACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigwy View Post
If I had to carry spare parts for my SD pistol/revolver, I'd find me another pistol/revolver.
This^

Also have multiples of the same weapon so you can use it while one is being repaired of needed...

See ;-)

None of these have ever needed repairs.

Three of a Kind: USP45 (One of them a tactical)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1369115429382.jpg (71.2 KB, 5 views)
Old May 21, 2013, 01:13 AM   #16
BuckRub

I don't have to worry about spare parts, I shoot a Glock.
Old May 21, 2013, 06:14 AM   #17
Silver00LT

I shoot a Glock as well.

Last edited by Silver00LT; May 21, 2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old May 21, 2013, 07:27 AM   #18
DBLAction454

Re: Spare parts box...what do you PACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckRub View Post
I don't have to worry about spare parts, I shoot a Glock.
This made me laugh very much. Thank you