The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 15, 2013, 01:43 PM   #26
Mike Irwin
Staff

And I have very different experiences with these drugs. I took anti depressants for all told probably five years. Several types. No desire to kill anyone, no psychotic acts.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 15, 2013, 01:45 PM   #27
Dwight55

Randy, . . .

The source was simply a friend who sent it to me.

I only posted it as something many folks overlook, . . . another of the many, many items needed to be looked at if we are going to get any kind of a handle on any of the causations of mass homicidal behavior.

It certainly is not a "this is the cause", . . . just another straw on the camel's back so to speak.

I personally have more regard for a professional dog catcher than I do for any of the *ists who supposedly are able to "cure" mental illness, diffiiculty, problems, etc. YMMV

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old January 15, 2013, 02:37 PM   #28
huntinaz

Quote:
And I have very different experiences with these drugs. I took anti depressants for all told probably five years. Several types. No desire to kill anyone, no psychotic acts.
Yeah they are incredibly helpful for a lot of people, and generally pretty well tolerated.

Quote:
I personally have more regard for a professional dog catcher than I do for any of the *ists who supposedly are able to "cure" mental illness, diffiiculty, problems, etc. YMMV
There is a plethora of effective treatments for a large variety of mental illnesses, difficulties, problems, etc.

Yeah I'm being a smart ass and feel free to clarify, but if I read you right and you think "mental illness" as a whole is untreatable, you are dead wrong.
"Mental illness" is a whole slew of disorders, some extremely common, some rare, some major, some minor, etc. Medications can play anywhere from a minor to major role is various treatment plans. FYI.
Old January 15, 2013, 04:08 PM   #29
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
The source was simply a friend who sent it to me.
So it is an unscourced and poorly presented set of claims without a significant amount of information that would be relevant to the claims. So let me help.

The source would appear to be here...
http://ssristories.com/

This is a site dedicated to claiming anti-depressants are bad. In particular, from this page which has a lot of appropriate links to articles. I refenced one above which indicated that the summary claim is overly simplified and bogus as a stand alone claim.
http://ssristories.com/index.php?p=school

When you click on some of the individual stories. you will see that some of the summaries become apparent as not being representative of what is claimed in the summary. In some cases, you have to actually do your own legwork and look further into the names.

SSRI does not refer to the above page as containing killers or killings, but "school shootings/incidents." It is a more correct description even if the correlations are sometimes quite dubious.