The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 22, 2013, 06:52 PM   #151
Duzell

current mosin scope distance with the the barska scope

using a 30/30 reticle rangefiner, the point of the 30/30 reticle is equal to 30 inchs at 100 yards (76cm at 100 meters) at 4x magnification. if only fills half the distance its at 200 yards. and 1/3 distance is 300 and so on.

I had told someone on another thread about using ballistics charts, this is one that hangs off the rifle and is laminated(hooked around the scope rings base via a zip tie)

i had to redue, this due to the fact my computer finally died and took all my stuff with it.

usefull for distances with my scope. using exel to draft the sheet up with calculations via youtube (easy tutorials there) , i personally hate exel but its useful.

Old September 22, 2013, 07:22 PM   #152
Duzell

also made a new signature for the firing lines. sometimes i wish i had photoshop, it would be easier to make these things...

Last edited by Duzell; September 24, 2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old September 23, 2013, 04:57 PM   #153
tobnpr

Nice rifle, Duzell...
But man, you've got too much time on your hands

Wanna do one for me?
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old September 23, 2013, 05:25 PM   #154
tahunua001

yeah all my milsurps need their sig blocks made up too.

angelica-MAS36
Samantha-M1903
Jennifer-M1 garand
Emily-SMLE(get it?) no 4 MK1*
Orihime'-arisaka T99
Rukia-arisaka t44
heidi-1895 mannlicher
Jackie-Chinese type 56
olga-91/30
sonya-91/30

let me know when you get them done, I've got to go name the rest of my guns
Old September 24, 2013, 08:06 PM   #155
Duzell

lol i know ...

its no problem just post a picture of the rifle, by itself clearly and ill try to do a few variations

any background image is up to you, any style or text design is up to you as well

@tahunua001
dude lol on the " now to go name the rest of my guns" bit, thats gold , ill try to get to them , here is a first go at the
angelica

if you have picks post them otherwise i improvise

anyway...
below is one i did for my friend to give you an idea of variations i can do

Last edited by Duzell; September 25, 2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old September 24, 2013, 08:44 PM   #156
Duzell

just save the image and url link once you have it uploaded
Old September 25, 2013, 03:49 PM   #157
tahunua001

very nice Duzell, only one probablem... if that's Angelica then I actually have her ugly cousin fat betty lou , mine is pretty trashed, that's a great sig block though.
Old September 25, 2013, 07:43 PM   #158
Duzell

np lol, just say it was her before she "saw action"

here is another
Samantha

Last edited by Duzell; September 25, 2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old September 25, 2013, 08:53 PM   #159
tahunua001

very cool. that's a 1903A3 though, mines just the plain jane 1903.

I was also just kidding, you don't really have to make one for my entire collection if you don't want to... still would make a great screen saver
Old September 26, 2013, 08:42 PM   #160
Duzell

lol, you dont give me picks so i search for them

i dont care really, just doing it if asked
Old September 26, 2013, 11:08 PM   #161
tahunua001

not that's it's not appreciated, those are both great photochop jobs, I just don't you to have to go through all those jobs on a whim.
Old September 27, 2013, 08:30 PM   #162
Duzell

kk np

mosin has new cheeck riser (as i was tired of straining my neck )

Old September 28, 2013, 06:36 PM   #163
Duzell

well contacting archangel about the stock they are sending me. the tan or olive green stock, no word yet from my rep, but im hopeful, i was supposed to get it in july but nothing yet.

im starting to search around for the next rifle to build a project on after BL

so far looking at ones with detachable mags that are bolt actions
Old September 29, 2013, 05:58 PM   #164
tahunua001

well of the 3 I know of there are the Mossberg MVP which only comes in 223(though a 300 blk version was rumored to be in development a few months back), the Ruger Scout that only comes in 308 and the Ruger american which comes in a plethora of calibers but is restricted to 4 round mags(with the exception of the 22lr which takes standard 10/22 mags and can accept up to 100 round drum mags).
Old September 29, 2013, 09:03 PM   #165
Duzell

i actually shot the ruger scout and i was impressed with it. the magazine size was very long on such a compact rifle , it kinda felt like it should have been lower, but thats just me

the american is a great rifle and i will always suggest it, its is perfect for any shooter in my book, due to its flexibility , but choose its caliber wisely or your shoulder will hate you.

i was looking into the mossberg until weedwacker,another of our users pointed me toward another rifle that im fascinated with

the makers of the arisaka in japan, howa ,have a rifle called the howa 1500, 5+1 internal magazine with a conversion kit to make it 10+1 round magazine.

it has similar parts to the weatherby vanguard and similar bolt to the remington 700

it has a lot in common with the american in that it seems they took many good aspects of rifles of top rifles and molded into one. has a very high accuracy and no problems that i can tell. best part it starts 560$'s with an overmold stock, with a 2 stage trigger , big recoil pad and is in 308.

also it can use remington scope mounts (for long and short action)

im very impressed and im looking forward to hunting one down and adding it to my collection and then making it my next project
Old September 29, 2013, 10:43 PM   #166
tahunua001

I was under the impression that the weatherby vanguard was a rebranded howa 1500.
Old September 30, 2013, 10:06 AM   #167
Duzell

again something i didnt know about this rifle
Old September 30, 2013, 02:44 PM   #168
SkyBehind

Regarding the Archangel stock, been meaning to answer for a while. So I had slight mag issues, nothing that wasn't fixed by heating them up and expanding the center part that was bowed in. Also my stock doesn't free float, been meaning to shave off some material, I'll probably get to that soon.

My step son's friend has one and he did run into the issue with the rear screw/bolt (it being too short). We haven't done anything to fix that yet though, the stock screw works fine in it.
Old September 30, 2013, 07:10 PM   #169
Duzell

now that i can answer

apparently they were not letting the magazines heat enough in the oven when molding them causing magazine issues, if you send them back to promag they will fix and send you some working ones

stock wise i know about it not being free float, the main problem is not every mosin is identical, they were made in various fashions over the years and quality is spread out. so the stocks usually dont come perfect and do need some adjustment, and if you have a bent bolt like the one from RSI it needs to be inlet

the main issue they ran into which has slowed down production is when they were doing the molding for the alternative colors (i.e. green and tan) the material flowed differently and ruined a few machines, they have now replaced the machines and getting other ones to do the new colors on but so far no news from them regarding my email
Old September 30, 2013, 07:23 PM   #170
Duzell

BL project overview

Black lighting project

(target rifle setup)

item lineup and the cost

Rifle

Mosin nagant 9130 (round receiver) 109$'s (big five) + 25$ background check

boyds stock (featherweight) 100$ + 12$ shipping

(drop in installation on mine)

Scope

barska 6-24x50 scope 2nd gen sniper rifle scope 50$ (usually 165$ via amazon)

30mm scope rings (barska) 12$

Scope Mount

Rock solid industries Bolt+mount combo 160$

+ 40$ gunsmithing

(accessories Misc)

claw sling(amazon) 15$

BLACKHAWK! Tactical Rifle Cheek Pad 13$

mosin plus lock muzzle break 45$

precision bipod 6-9 inch legs 25$
Old October 1, 2013, 12:30 PM   #171
Duzell

looks like i might have to wait a bit before getting my new rifle CA is pulling stuff with pistols, so i will most likely get a new 1911 45 acp, the get the howa 1500
Old October 11, 2013, 11:30 AM   #172
Duzell

next rifle project,Howa 1500

now im looking at legacy arms and talking with the rep

i will get a green houge stock, chambered in 308.

im looking at the gameking as it comes with a scope + mount already, I'll get a better one on if i find either is unstable or not working for me.the price for such is 610$, looks like a good base rifle setup with a Nikko Stirling Gameking 3.5x-10x and a one piece base mount

i will then get the ammo boost kit, 10+1 round magazines detachable

after the magazine i will look into stocks, i found a Acis style stock that looks fun, but expensive.

mainly ill stick with the normal stock as i have heard good things about it
Old October 20, 2013, 11:38 AM   #173
Duzell

sat shooting demo

the mosin did great with its barska scope, it was only zeroed in for 50 yards still but we adjusted it out to 300 and were hitting our plate dead center.
shot roughly 100 rounds.

though we were only demonstrating the rifles to new and old shooters, not a competition shoot, was just fun to hit long and short range targets.

my friends american was doing well with a bear hunting round he had, steel tipped with a soft backing, 40$ box of ammo. though later in the day his bipod mount loosened and so did his scope rings clamps, hell adjust them for our next shoot. and is talking about getting some new glass for it, and a precision bipod

-the guns we had were as follows. BL mosin, remigton 870 shotgun, m1a soccom(308), ruger american(30 06), a savage axis .223, a few 22 rim fires and a 44 magnum, a 1911 and a snub police 380 special

everyone had a great time, and we did an all day shoot.

what was funny was one of the older gentleman used the american and blew the chain link off the plate so it was swinging , and literally right after that his step daughter used the mosin to hit it dead center while moving at 300 yards. now the scope was set to 6x which i can understand but she had the parallax set to 15 yards, which made the shot more impressive

the night sight IR worked well when it got dark , as the mosin was the only one set up to shoot at night with it, we had some good shots on clay pigeons (the orange degradable kind). it was a great shoot and i hope next shoot goes well.

below is a picture of us demoing, ill have more to come. the mosin stands out with its bipod and shaded scope, and im in the shirt with the scary face on it (disturbed band)

we were hitting 300 up on a hill so the angle made it hard. i had to extend my bipods legs to aim right. my father is shooting the snub and demoing its long range ability that we all were kind of shocked at.

Last edited by Duzell; October 20, 2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old October 20, 2013, 11:52 AM   #174
tobnpr

Quote:
my father is shooting the snub and demoing its long range ability that we all were kind of shocked at.
I'll never forget one of our first trips to the range a few years back when we (sons and I) first started shooting...

The RSO (who I later found out was a competition shooter) grabbed my son's CZ-75B that he had just received as a Xmas present, pointed it out towards the berm behind the 100 yard target area (about 115 yards) and proceeded to send lead within inches of some four inch clay pigeons up on the berm.

I've never seen such amazing shooting duplicated to this day.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old October 20, 2013, 05:23 PM   #175
Duzell

shooting with your kids is great, gets them accurate and into good habits for later on. my father is part of the swiss rifle club and gets medals for accuracy from the swiss government, and has taught me all about distance shooting and shooting habits. hes great with pistols, but hes now trying to get into shot guns, got himself a magpul remington 870, he was shooting good, but we all sucked at hitting them, well besides our clay shooting girl , who blew them all away(same girl who used the mosin).

its funny, a older man brought his axis in .223, and could not hit anything. my buddy rob who is a new shooter(shot only 1 time before with us), tried it and i swear, shot 3 shots into the same hole at 250 target. our group has been trying to get him to shoot but he doesn't have time/money to get a rifle, and he was scared of my mosin and the 30 06 american my buddy has. after the shoot he asked the round and rifle that he shot, and is planning to get one.

the only issue my mosin had was the case on the way up to the ranch does not seal perfectly so by the time we got up there, my gun was encased in dry yellow dust, so now im putting it in black garbage bags to protect it from dust.. so its smooth bolt was slugish to me, but everyone had fun. a few new shooters with mosins also showed up and loved firing mine, said the boyds stock has no recoil, i say it does but thats me. i was using a wolf polyformance round, they were accurate, but left lots of powder afterwords. im hoping to find a low cost soft point for it to shoot water bottles with it, but thats another thing.