The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 31, 2010, 11:14 AM   #1
14cm

taurus thunderbolt, bullet type

i just picked up a thunderbolt and have heard the rumblings about using the proper bullet shape for feeding. what have you all found to be the bullet that gives you the least amount of problem? I also plan on loading around 14k pressure, is this what you all are doing?

thanks
Old March 31, 2010, 12:44 PM   #2
Hardcase

On the off chance that Taurus copied the guts of the Colt Lightning exactly, I can say that I use a flat nose lead bullet and it feeds perfectly in my original Lightning. Mine is in .38-40 and this is the bullet: http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,245.html.

I just wish that it ejected as well as it feeds...

Old March 31, 2010, 03:29 PM   #3
Andy Griffith

Considering I don't have the expensive equipment to tell me exactly the pressures my loads generate, I will say that I load to "normal vintage" velocities- typically with black powder or Unique.

A good RNFP should do the trick, if your rifle is in .45 Colt...rumor has it that a very, very few of the guns were shipped at the end of production in .357, but is unconfirmed.

The problem with the gun is that it was designed for bottlenecked cartridges, but .45 Colt is a straight walled case. When choosing bullets, be certain to get one with as small a FP nose area as possible. Something that looks like the bullets that Winchester puts in the overpriced factory silver box stuff would be the best- it's almost like a pointed bullet rather than a round nose.

I really used to like the 3D bullets that said company used to put out before they were bought by Hornady. However, there are plenty of good places to buy them or just start to cast yourself.

I've tried and really like the ones turned out by Tennessee Valley Bullets- they work fine in my cohort's US Firearms Lightning.
Old April 1, 2010, 08:04 PM   #4
14cm

i just ran some 250 gr lead round nose through it. 10 gr of hs-6 . she ran like a champ. went through the chrony at 980 fps.

hardcase, nice gun