The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 2, 2009, 10:44 PM   #1
jeremiahjj

CCI v. Blazer in 170 gr. 10mm HP

Like a good noobie, I am reading ABCs of Reloading and noticed something about "CCI primers in their 'non-reloadable Blazer' ammunition..." Does this mean that only Blazer cases are non-reloadable? Put differently, I hope it doesn't mean that CCI cases (i.e., not Blazer) are non-reloadable. I have 500 170 gr. 10mm and was planning on reloading them a time or two for target practice only. Mike McNett emailed and said my Starline cases have shipped, so those would be used for the heavier hunting loads. Thanks for thoughts.
Old September 2, 2009, 10:57 PM   #2
Sevens

If your CCI Blazer ammo is in those ugly, silvery , dull looking aluminum cases, then yeah-- you can't reload those. Or rather, you most definitely should NOT even attempt to.

I don't think CCI has their name on any 10mm factory ammo any more other than their Blazer aluminum line. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they don't make a 10mm load in Blazer Brass and they don't offer any defense ammo in 10mm.

Other options for 10mm factory ammo... Winchester still makes the silvertip. Rem-UMC offers a FMJ round. Federal still has the Hydra-Shock (it sucks, really sucks in 10mm) and I think they also have one FMJ offering. Hornaday has some premium expensive stuff. Cor-Bon, Buffalo Bore and obviously Double-Tap. Not sure what I've forgotten...

But if you have the CCI Blazer in the dull silver aluminum cases, those will be one & done. CCI Blazer Brass (popular in 9, .40 and .45) is fully reloadable.

What's your launch platform for 10mm?
Old September 3, 2009, 12:43 PM   #3
jeremiahjj

Mea maxima culpa!

A thousand pardons, maybe I shouldn't be reloading at all -- or maybe I should be shooting less. I meant PMC, not CCI. I'm sure the PMC can be reloaded again, a time or two anyway. The platform is a G20 w/factory barrel for factory stuff and KKM barrel for reloads.
Old September 3, 2009, 01:24 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Any brass boxer-primed case can be reloaded. Federal rifle brass, seem to be a little soft and don't hold up well, though I've had no trouble with Federal handgun cartridge brass. Remington rifle brass is fine, but their handgun chamberings often seem have rather thin neck mouths that don't resize easily after work hardening for a reload or two. I don't know about 10mm specifically?

Aluminum tends to fatigue easily with repeated stretching, so it can develop fractures on resizing, which is why CCI doesn't want you reusing it. I know of people who've reloaded it with very light target wadcutter loads, but even they get neck splits frequently, so I don't bother.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 3, 2009, 08:11 PM   #5
Sevens

My experience with 10mm exactly mirrors what Unclenick said with regards to Remington brass: THIN! It's the only brass that gives me constant trouble in 10mm. So I tend to use all my R-P 10mm brass for lead bullet reloads out of my 1006.

When I'm loading jacketed (I've been using the Nosler 150gr JHP) I use all of my other brass which includes Federal, Winchester, PMC, Hornady, Starline and others I've forgotten. These jacketed bullet loads are what I use for practice in my carry gun. G29, stock barrel.

If I try those Nosler 150 grainers with R-P brass, I have some that just won't give me proper case mouth tension on that bullet. And the R-P nickel is even worse than the brass R-P. Can't be fixed with less flare, can't be solved with a crimp. It just doesn't consistently work.

Could be that the Nosler bullets ride a fine line on the side of slim, but they sure work like a champ on all my other 10mm brass.
Old September 5, 2009, 09:59 PM   #6
jeremiahjj

Thanks, unclenick and sevens, I'll watch the PMC brass carefully. I don't have anything but 180-gr. JHPs. Just today I got in 1000 bullets from Montana Gold. (Those are almost too pretty to shoot!) When I figger I know what I'm doing better I'll move up to 200 grains. I have all the primers I need. The Starline brass still hasn't come in so everything is on hold for now. McNett confirmed my shipping address and UPS said they've been notified shipment is pending. However, nothing has shipped.
Old September 5, 2009, 10:04 PM   #7
Sevens

Every PMC 10mm piece I've used has been decent brass. Of course, all brass should be closely inspected, especially high-octane rounds like 9, .40 and 10mm, but if you are going to pay extra special attention, do that with R-P brass.

PMC brass (also stamped El Dorado, IIRC) has always been good to me.