The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 23, 2000, 12:51 PM   #1
wildcat

Can anyone tell me anything about the suitability of the styer m95/34 for rebarreling to other calibers.I have a couple of wildcats in mind which use a rimmed case, since the steyr is chambered for the 8x56R I thought it mite work for rounds with similar rim size. The other thing that the styer seems to have going for it is they are cheap. Does anyone have any information or experience to pass along?
Old January 23, 2000, 02:35 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Wildcat, I would think that any round with similar pressures to the 8x56R would be alright. What wildcats are you thinking of? George
Old January 23, 2000, 03:04 PM   #3
wildcat

I have access to a reamer that cuts a chamber simmiar to the 219 Donalson wasp based on a shortened 30-40 kraig case.I also have a barrel chambered for 30-30 that I would like to use as chambered .I will have to make a bushing for this one as it came off a post 64 M94 however I am not sure the smaller rim of the 30-30 would work.I also have thoughts of a .25 kraig or .25x303 British.

[This message has been edited by wildcat (edited January 23, 2000).]
Old January 23, 2000, 11:29 PM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Wildcat, I'm sure something could be done to the mag box to have these feed properly. They may now, but like you I have my doubts. Try some dummy rounds when you get the barrel off of it. But mag boxes can be "shrunk" by a couple of methods. The easiest probably being to sweat or epoxy shims to the sides. If the extractor turns out to be a problem it can be altered as well. George
Old January 24, 2000, 07:39 AM   #5
wildcat

Thanks George I think that I will order one of these while they are cheap and hope that I can make something work.I probably won't get started on it rite off as I already have two projects in the works .I make my own stocks from scratch so it takes me a while to finish one.If any of you have used a steyr action I would like to hear how it worked out for you.

------------------
Fear a government that fears your guns
Old December 2, 2001, 07:14 PM   #6
Rob46

Did you ever finish this project? I've been thinking about doing the same thing and was hoping for your imput .
TIA Rob
Old December 2, 2001, 11:00 PM   #7
ronin308

What about rebarreling it to .308, I know that ChristopherII was thinking about doing this.

Dan
Old December 3, 2001, 09:09 AM   #8
Christopher II

Indeed. Is it even possible to rework a rifle chambered in a rimmed cartridge to fire a rimless one?

- Chris

"Contrary to popular belief, your vote does not matter, and you cannot make a difference." - Bob Murphy, "Picking Neither of Two Evils"

My PGP Public Key
Old December 6, 2001, 09:24 PM   #9
Porkie

Steyr 95

I have converted one of these straight pulls to .308. However, I started with a Model 95M. This model had been factory converted to 8X57JS after WWI. Thus my conversion merely involved screwing in a new barrel.

The one you are looking at- the 8X56R and its predecessor the 8X50 have a larger problem as the magazine employs an en-bloc clip. The logistics of getting those was untenable in my view. Without the clip the rifle is a single shot.

That said, mine is perfectly strong enough to hold down the .308 since it has a six groove Douglas, #4 contour.

Regards, Porkie