The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 15, 2014, 09:22 AM   #1
flintlock.50

Light loads for .45-110?

I finally ordered my Shiloh Sharps "Quigley" rifle in .45-110. I've been reading Mike Venturino's book "Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West." His demonstration loads for this cartridge use 544 grain bullets, though he says "any bullet suitable for .45-70 can be used in the .45-110." Does anyone have any experience using light bullets (say 336 to 420 grains) in this large cartridge? All my loading will be done with black powder.

Thanks!

P.S. I realize there really is no such thing as a "light" load for this cartridge, but I'd prefer not to punish myself unless I'm "loading for bear" (literally).

A government that takes from Peter to pay Paul can always count on Paul's vote!
Old January 17, 2014, 10:16 AM   #2
MarcB

Never have shot lighter bullets but it's a mute issue. The powder charge has to be compressed so bullet size does not matter. I guess a slightly compressed load would be easier on the shoulder. My Shilo Sharps 50-140 kicks like a mule. Put a second slip on recoil pad and it really tamed it down.
Old January 18, 2014, 08:45 AM   #3
flintlock.50

I realize the case must be full. But can I use a smaller load and make up the volume difference with corn meal or cream of wheat? I've filled cap and ball revolver chambers with corn meal on to of the powder charge. I recall seeing something like that with cartridges, but I haven't been able to find it in print.

A government that takes from Peter to pay Paul can always count on Paul's vote!
Old January 18, 2014, 09:28 AM   #4
MarcB

I imagine you could do that but I wouldn't use a filler for more than 10% of the load.
Old January 18, 2014, 10:16 PM   #5
Sendero700

45-110

Hey Flintlock.. I have a 45-110 and shoot the 544 grain rounds. I order them from Black Hills. I'm not into reloading yet... and wouldn't want to end up with a squib round (under powered round that does not leave the barell. I think if you work on your should hold and a good cheek weld you will get use to the kick it has.

Good Luck and enjoy.....
Old January 18, 2014, 10:30 PM   #6
Jim Watson

Why did you buy big to shoot small?

The first thing to do to moderate the recoil is to use Fg powder instead of something finer and faster.
A grease cookie and the wads to separate it from powder and bullet will reduce the charge space, and keep the fouling soft.

Get on the Shiloh Forum and read what Kenny Wassenberger has to say. He is pretty much the 110 guru. Strange, I got my .38-55 load from him, clear at the opposite end of the BPCR spectrum.
Old January 19, 2014, 08:20 AM   #7
longranger

Kenny is also on www.castboolits.com. Kenny does not really play with "plinking" loads as he is a serious National Champion and he shoots out to a mile,no plinking loads there.
You can put together lighter loads by using a 405 gr. lead bullet with lubed felt wads and fiber/plastic wads stacked in the column. The generous space in the 45-110 case would require about 65-75 grs. of 2f B/P you have to play with the wads and powder to find what will shoot in your rifle. I use 55grs.2f 405gr, cast 1:20 1 .30 fiber wad 2 lubed felt wads a .30 fiber wad(Walters) then a bullet for the 45-70. This is my "chicken" load for 200m. it will hold 2" @200m. It is not the most accurate load by no means. Your gun is going to like 500gr.+ for exceptional accuracy and will require some effort to get there. O.A.L I find is more important to accuracy than amount of or type of powder.