The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 17, 2009, 01:06 AM   #1
deggendorf

Best IDPA Gun - SSP?

If you had an unlimited budget, what gun and gear would you purchase for an IDPA match - SSP stock service pistol division.
Old February 17, 2009, 06:34 AM   #2
mega twin

A wilson combat CQB,or one of Carter Custom Weapons in 45acp,and many cases of practice ammo.
Old February 17, 2009, 01:11 PM   #3
NRAhab

If I had an unlimited budget for SSP, I'd switch divisions to CDP and get a Nighthawk GRP.

That being said, for SSP I guess I'd build out a Glock 34 with a boatload of Glockworx parts on it, lighter trigger pull, match barrel from Stormlake, new sights, etc.
Old February 17, 2009, 01:54 PM   #4
RickB

Assuming there's a version that's legal, I might try a CZ SP01. I've seen a few in USPSA Production competition, and I like the specs, but there seems to be some trouble "making" one that's compliant to the letter of the rules.
Old February 17, 2009, 02:14 PM   #5
Strick

All though I am not a Glock guy.....Glock 34 is a pretty stout gun for SSP and even ESP. SSP has to be DAO, DA/SA or "safe action" so as long as it meets those criteria (plus a few others like size and weight) it fits. A CZ could be questionable unless it has a decocker, I am not sure how each MD/SO would rule on manually decocking it with your thumb and trigger. I have a witness but only use it in ESP to avoid that issue.
Old February 17, 2009, 03:09 PM   #6
Jim Watson

Glock is #1 in SSP but S&W Plastic M&P is doing well. The P.M&P Pro with Burwell trigger would be my first choice.

Real DA-SAs are down the list, you can do ok but the crunch-tick will take extra practice. I have shot a Sig-Sauer GGI P226 and a CZ75.
Yes, it is allowable to manually decock a CZ. The SP01 is a good gun but the weight and dust cover monkey motions to get it entered just aggravate me. An Angus Hobdell action job and sights on a regular CZ75 or 85 would be less tedious.
Old February 21, 2009, 06:19 AM   #7
Brit

Best IDPA Gun - SSP?

This could take a while!

Glock 19. Tricked out, below.

Standard 5 lb (2 kilo) trigger, the ones on the latest Glocks are clean and crisp, same for your carry G19.

TruGlow sights, all green dots. Best night sights around, like superimposed search lights in sunlight.

Glock factory slide lock lever, (no extended magazine release!) use it to close slide on lock back reload always. (Dave from Glock does)

BACK STRAP CHANNEL INSERT (not a butt plug!)

It's made by Scherer, and it's called a "Slug Plug". They are available from Brownell's for $5 each. Specify 1st class shipping (3.50) otherwise, they'll charge you $7.50 UPS. Buy more than one, why not?
This item gives you an extra 1/2" target to hit on magazine changes at the rear of the mag well. Looks good too!

The G19 stops better than a G34 on lateral swings. Clears the holster sooner, all in all faster presentation.

Two small strips of skate board tape, 1/4"X1.1/2" to be placed in an upright position on the two plain strips to the right and left of the checkering on the rear of the grip area. Stops the hand right there on a draw, no slippage.

Unlimited funds? Buy two, black one for carry, Green one for matches, buy a Wilderness Store, Safe Packer (pouch to keep a pistol in) arrive at range, unloaded match pistol out, loaded carry pistol and spare magazine in. No muss no fuss. No clicking no clacking (no unintended bangs!!)

Ammo (you did say unlimited funds?) 147g hollow points from Atlanta arms.

Told you it would take a while.

Keep Safe.
Old February 21, 2009, 11:56 AM   #8
NRAhab

I think the slug plugs are illegal for IDPA SSP division.
Old February 21, 2009, 12:39 PM   #9
Para Bellum

Glock 19

...maybe the best handgun in any respect.
Old February 22, 2009, 12:10 AM   #10
deggendorf

Thanks for all the great answers.

Quote:
Unlimited funds? Buy two, black one for carry, Green one for matches
I like the way you think!!!
Old February 24, 2009, 09:28 PM   #11
Gryff

Quote:
I think the slug plugs are illegal for IDPA SSP division.
Nope, as long as they are plastic. They are specifically addressed in the rule book.

I think I need to disagree with Brit's (most respectfully since I think I shoot with him occasionally) recommendations on the night sights. I find that night sights aren't as visible in the daylight as fiber optics are. FOs show up like laser dots in the daylight...you can't miss them.

It's then a toss up on whether you want FO sights on the rear as well as the front. Some (including me) don't like rear FOs or even colored dots because it takes away the natural drawing of the eye to the front sight.

I've heard others talk about a shorter-barreled gun, but I still prefer a longer one. I like the increased shot precision that the longer barrel provides. And for me, I'm strong enough to provide the increased inertia necessary to move an 1" longer barrel.

Glock 34s tend to rule in SSP, but I think that the M&P Pro shoiuld be able to hold its own in the division. It just isn't as easy to work on yourself as the Glock is.
Old February 28, 2009, 01:53 PM   #12
WESHOOT2

And people say IDPA ain't a game......
Old March 1, 2009, 08:34 PM   #13
NRAhab

I never got that - of course it's a game, it's just as gamey as USPSA, just in a different way. I shoot both, and while you can practice and reinforce great skill sets with practical shooting, no one (who isn't delusional) will tell you that it's "combat simulation."
Old March 2, 2009, 06:26 AM   #14
Brit

Night sights?

Gryff,

TruGlow are Fiber Optics, but also night sights, very bright ones.

My rational for the back and front sights being all green dots (and bright ones!) is simply that it is easier for the eye (read brain) to line up three dots, just a straight line, with the gap on each side of the front sight the same, at speed especially. Than the traditional square in a square, with the tops in a straight line IMHO.

In Florida we get a lot of bright sunlight, turns the Tru Glows into the most bright of the fiber optics, which in turn gives you an ability to look at the target, a natural instinct really, and still have the sights show you their bright dots. To try them is the way to go, borrow a friends pistol, fire two rounds at say a target 7 yards to your front, have a target off to your right, at the same distance, swivel your eyes to target #2, then while focused on the new target, swing the pistol over to it.

The bright green dots appear in your vision, even though you are concentrating on the down zero.

The reason I went to these sights, some three years ago, shooting in a match in Georgia, 4-15PM, the sun slanting across the range, my night sights (Trijicons) vanished! try point shooting at 15 yards!

Pancakes call, First Watch here I come!
Old March 4, 2009, 09:53 AM   #15
gglass

My son and I both purchased the M&P9 Pro Series just for IDPA. I highly recommend that you take a look at one before making your purchase.

Here is what Massad Ayoob had to say about the M&P9 Pro Series. In case you don't read it. He actually beat his all-time personal best score with the M&P the first time he shot with it.

http://www.gunsmagazine.com/Features/0908/Ftr0908.html

I also recommend the Comp-Tac paddle holster. Gordon Carrell of Team Smith & Wesson gave me this recommendation and I have to agree with him... It's a great competition holster for under $60.00.

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=53

Last edited by gglass; March 4, 2009 at 10:00 AM.
Old March 9, 2009, 09:58 PM   #16
hankfan79

"A wilson combat CQB,or one of Carter Custom Weapons in 45acp,and many cases of practice ammo."

Umm did I miss something here? Did the 1911 all the sudden become SSP legal? :barf:
Old March 15, 2009, 04:49 PM   #17
Glenn E. Meyer

I shoot a 19 with the Truglow night sights in question. It's also a carry gun.

However, if you look at the Nationals - you don't see that many 19s - mostly 34s. I don't think they are realistic carry guns (but some do rarely). Ducking for cover here.

An SSP gun that gets extremely tricked out is defeating the purpose, oh - it's a game but not as gamey as IPSC. Still ducking.