Aimpoint 15 26.79%
EOTech 31 55.36%
Don't know enough to make a judgement and/or don't care 10 17.86%
Neither. They're both terrible 0 0%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 20, 2007, 03:22 PM   #1
GLP Standard

EOTech vs Aimpoint

Sorry if this has been covered before. I'm sure it has, but I'm kind of in a hurry and don't have much time to search for my answer. Plus, its easier to put the question out straight forward. Ive included a poll too to make things easier.

I know there are many pros and cons about both optics. But which of the two do members of this forum prefer, and why? Also, when you state which you prefer, go into detail about which model you would buy and why. Right now, i'm leaning toward an EOTech (the one that takes N-Cell batteries). I wouldnt mind the one that takes AA's, but its an inch longer, and I like the smaller version (4") better than the 5". Plus, I wont be using the sight nearly enough to make battery life, and the burden of replacing "hard to find" batteries an issue.

That being said, I've also thought about the Aimpoint. The Aimpoint is significantly more expensive ($100 or so), and from what I can see, does not include the mount to mount it to the weapon (an extra $100 or so). I really don't know much about either optic, but have looked through both (on the M4's at work) though never used either at the range.

Which do you prefer, and which model of your preference would you buy, and why? I'm going for a whole CQB tactical aspect of it, for fast target aquisition at less than 30yards
Old November 20, 2007, 03:32 PM   #2
dwatts47

I have one of the both.

The aimpoints AT LEAST double battery life makes it worth the money to me. The Eotech is cool also, my most shot carbine runs the aimpoint Comp M2

And battery life is never an issue UNTIL it goes out in the middle of Sh#t hitting the fan.
Old November 20, 2007, 03:40 PM   #3
Wildalaska

we got a brigade slowly coming back in from Iraq, apocryphal stories abound and no polls...but to date universal excoriation of Aimpoints and Berettas, love for EOTECHs, Trijicons, gunships and M4s.....

YMMV...I prefer the EOTECH

WildmorefieldofviewAlaska ™
Old November 20, 2007, 04:29 PM   #4
rellascout

It really is a preference. I do not think there is a clear cut universal winner. Shoot what looks good and works good for you. I ended up with a ACOG TA11F

WildtheeotechistheonlythingyoueversoldmethatIsoldAlaska
Old November 20, 2007, 05:54 PM   #5
G-Cym

Weird short story:

I deliver pizzas as a part time job in the Ann Arbor Michigan area. Yesterday afternoon, I got an order to a business for lunch. The business name was Eotech. This of course made me chuckle at the coincidence. But when I get there, I see all of these pictures on the walls of soldiers with M4s and the like. Low and behold, it is the very same EOtech that makes the holosights we all know and love. I asked the employee I was delivering to, and apparently they design and build EOtech sights a few blocks away from where I work.
Old November 20, 2007, 06:55 PM   #6
ShipWreck

I've heard that one usually likes one or the other - not both.

I have an EOtech 511 on my PS90, and I just got a 2nd one about a week ago to go on a CX4 Storm (as soon as I find a good deal on a CX4). The N battery life isn't the greatest - but, I wanted the smalled sized EOtech for my PS90. And, with a 2nd EOtech, I wanted them to shar ethe same batteries in order to simplify things.

Anyway - I have looked at ACOGs an Aimpoints, and I don't like the view of looking down a tube. Plus, the "dot" isn't super fast to pick up as the EOtech reticle is. Plus, the EOtech still has that 1 MOA dot for long distance shooting.
Old November 21, 2007, 04:05 AM   #7
GLP Standard

Hmm...seems as though people prefer the EOTech. That being said, what model should I look into? As I said I kind of want a shorter N-Cell battery EOTech, and I DO NOT need an NV Compatible one. First off, I will NEVER own a pair of NVG's, and even if I ever did, I would never need to use them while firing the AR. I feel that Its best to save $70 or $80 and get the one that is not NV Compatible. Which model should I look into? N-cell non NV Compatible?

Also, I have no experience with EOTechs or Aimpoints, aside from looking through one of each mounted on an M4. My supervisor at work (hes the type that knows nothing, thinks he knows everything, and assumes an awful lot) said that when using an EOtech sight, you have to place the red dot over the very top of the front sight post, and then your sights are "lined up". After that, you just put the red dot where you want the bullet to go. From what ive seen and read, Im assuming you DONT need the front sight post when using an EOtech sight. Am I correct, or was my supervisor right in saying that you have to place the red dot over the top of the front sight?
Old November 21, 2007, 07:23 AM   #8
ShipWreck

I used a $35 bore laser to sight mine in. But, if you have front and rear sights that co-witness, you could use that to get you started. Chance are, you are going to have to fine tune the adjustments at the range.

I used the boresighter, went outside at night, and estimated 50 yards. I sighted the EOtech to match the laser.

When I went to the range, it was close. Saved me a lot of rounds because it started on the paper immediately. It was 4 inches high at 10 oclock. But, that's okay. I then manually adjusted the Eotech screws as I kept shooting, and I was zeroed in after a few more shots.

Be aware of 2 things. The Eotech is projected to infinity. If your long distance eyesight is not good, the eotech will be fuzzy. And, it will be even worse if you have an astigmatism (if you have either of these problems, then U will want a regular red dot, not the EOtech). Also, many people who get a new Eotech look at the reticle and say it is "fuzzy." This is common, as you will soon learn that you don't look AT the reticle. You look thru the EOtech and at your target. When U focus on the target, the Eotech is clear. If you focus on the reticle, it will seem like it is slightly fuzzy.

I had the same issue with that when I first got mine in Dec. But U get used to using it after a while.

As for the model... Either get the 511 (N Battery) or the 512 (AA battery). The two cheapest models that are non NV. Make sure to get revision F - it has longer battery life.

Last edited by ShipWreck; November 21, 2007 at 03:29 PM.
Old November 21, 2007, 02:16 PM   #9
GLP Standard

Thanks for the information. Answered a lot of questions.
Old November 21, 2007, 03:30 PM   #10
ShipWreck

No problem. Keep us updated on what ya get
Old November 22, 2007, 03:12 PM   #11
Tomac

I've owned/used both. I prefer the Eotech due to its faster on-target speed & greater perceived FOV (YMMV). While the Aimpoint has more ergonomic controls & greater battery life (no arguments there although the Eotech 512's 1,100hrs certainly isn't bad) I'd rather have the Eotech's greater speed.
I chose the Eotech 512 (AA non-NV version) because most of my gear uses AA batteries (simplifies logistics) and I don't plan on using it w/NV gear. Both are excellent combat-proven optics, you really can't go wrong w/either. Try them both if possible then choose the one that best suits your needs & budget.
Tomac

If you're really concerned about Eotech battery life there is a solar charger mod available:

Old November 23, 2007, 03:25 PM   #12
shooter_john

EOTech...

I like because: Field of view, you don't have to look through a tube.

I dislike because: Gotta have spare batteries. I keep em in foregrip and stock saddle on my patrol rifle.
Old November 23, 2007, 07:19 PM   #13
ShipWreck

The one plus EOtech could make would be to make a dial control, like Aimpoint uses... I think that would be much quicker to adjust to your liking than the button.
Old November 25, 2007, 08:47 PM   #14
PPGMD

Eotech
Better reticle options: The 65MOA ring with the 1MOA dot is the best CQB reticle available
No Parallax: Aimpoints have a very small amount of parallax
Better one eyed FOV: I don't notice any difference with two eyes open.
More Options: With an Aimpoint your only options are dot size and model

Aimpoint:
Much much much better battery life: Aimpoints have 50-80 times better battery life, replace the battery every few years while leaving the site on 24/7, not every couple of months with a Eotech
Better interface: The dial interface is much easier to use

I prefer Aimpoints because I just turn it on, and leave it on, no fiddling to turn it on or off, also they seem more durable. Also the solar mod is a poor solution to the battery life problem, particularly for a HD carbine.
Old November 26, 2007, 06:32 AM   #15
Martyn4802

EOTech. It is the only Holographic sight made. All others are Red Dot sights, including Aimpoints.
Beyond 22 yards, parallax is a non-issue with the EOTech sight, where the Red Dots all have parallax to contend with, some less than others, like the Aimpoint is very good, better than the other Red Dots.

Martyn
Old November 26, 2007, 02:15 PM   #16
Wildalaska

I dont see EOTECHs as having a battery problem as they use easily available batteries that can last for years if not constant on...

My concern on any electornic optic is cold weather performance. As soon as the temp drops (ie to below zero) Im going to leave an EOTECH outside all day and see if it wokrs and for how long

WildbrrrrAlaska ™
Old November 26, 2007, 02:41 PM   #17
Sturmgewehre

I have both and like both. I like the Aimpoint because of the battery life A LOT. My oldest Aimpoint is 2 years old and I've left the sight on for weeks at a time in the safe and I've yet to replace the batteries. I have to CompM2's actually and the oldest is almost 3 years old... again, it's on the same batteries. That's just amazing. You can leave them on for months on fresh batteries and not worry about it.

The EOTech I like for the field of view and the controls. I also think it looks better on firearms than the Aimpoint does.

It's a matter of personal preference really. You can't go wrong either way.
Old November 26, 2007, 02:42 PM   #18
Sturmgewehre

For comparison, my PS90:

Old November 26, 2007, 09:25 PM   #19
Kermit

Major downside is run time but more than makes up for it in ruggedness and function, my vote goes to EOTech
Old November 26, 2007, 09:39 PM   #20
evan1293

The aimpoint m4 is the best optic I've ever owned. The EO-Techs have way too busy of a reticle IMO...I like the 2 MOA dot of the aimpoints much better.

Old November 27, 2007, 12:40 PM   #21
ShipWreck

Sweet AR!
Old November 28, 2007, 09:23 AM   #22
Teufelhunden

I agree with those that have said that the EOTech reticle is way too busy. My SRT team issues EOTech, but allows personal purchase of other sights if you'd rather something else.

I know folks talk about the speed of an EOTech, but all that stuff in my view slowed me down. With the Aimpoint, I only have the find the single red glowing thing in my field of view, and the bullet is going there. I don't feel like I'm looking through a tube when I'm using the sight as designed (target focus, not sight focus). If I stare at the dot, I can see the tube, but otherwise it doesn't bother me.

Granted, we've got older EOTech's, but the battery life on the N-Cells is horrible. We have to swap cells about once every 6 weeks, and that's only after intermittent use. My Aimpoint OTOH, will burn for 50,000 hours. I also agree that controls on the Aimpoint are far better--I can turn my Aimpoint off and not have to look though it to verify that it is actually off like you do with the EOTech.

If you've got access to both at work, try to shoot with both of them and see what works better for you. Both are good sights, but each has features that suit different people.

-Teuf

"One hundred rounds do not constitute firepower. One hit contitutes firepower." -Gen. Merritt Edson, USMC
Old December 2, 2007, 11:35 PM   #23
FJR1300

I way prefer the Eotech. Quick acquisition from the ring, precise aim from the 1 MOA dot. All the red dots I've looked at either the dot was too big and/or bright (for me) which made it a distraction and covered too much area, or was too small and/or dim and too slow to acquire.

I have pretty bad astigmatism and the Eotech still works fine. I really think it's the best of both worlds- fast and precise.