The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 15, 2013, 09:54 PM   #1
poline

CCI #41 Primers

(USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information) I have just recently tested the following load: 26.3 gains of Varget, 55 gain bullet, used (.223 R&P brass) with Winchester and CCI small rifle primers, not much different in the FPS, but because the changing of a type of primers is a change of parts I tested each one.
Now I was about to prime some of the same type .223 R&P brass with CCI #41 primers.
The box of CCI #41 primers Reads: (CCI #41 primers for 5.56 ammunition.) !!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm loading .223 Remington, not 5.56 x 45, should I be concerned about this? Thank you, in advance for any and all replys.
Old October 15, 2013, 10:29 PM   #2
Nathan

How are you defining your ammo as 223, but not 5.56?
Old October 16, 2013, 06:06 AM   #3
jwrowland77

CCI #41 Primers

Ever seen a 5.56 die?

The CCI 41 are for use in .223 rounds in order to prevent slam fires in service rifles or any rifles with a floating firing pin. I believe it's supposed to have a harder cup to help in this prevention. You'll be fine. Just load'em and shoot'em.
Old October 16, 2013, 06:07 AM   #4
mdmtj

No need for concern as long as you start over and work up the new load. CCI #41 is a small rifle magnum primer and will ignite the powder differently than the standard small rifle primer.
Old October 16, 2013, 06:49 AM   #5
4runnerman

I also tried to use #41's. During the primer shortage because I run max loads ( thicker cup on them). Accuracy became a issue,so end of those. Finally managed to get some BR-4's. I also have 1000 plus CCI 400's that I will never use.
All 3 of my small primer rifles run max loads and I learned the hard way not to use standard primers in max loads. Costed me a new Firing pin and some down time.
Old October 16, 2013, 07:07 AM   #6
jwrowland77

CCI #41 Primers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runnerman View Post
I also tried to use #41's. During the primer shortage because I run max loads ( thicker cup on them). Accuracy became a issue,so end of those. Finally managed to get some BR-4's. I also have 1000 plus CCI 400's that I will never use.
All 3 of my small primer rifles run max loads and I learned the hard way not to use standard primers in max loads. Costed me a new Firing pin and some down time.
Speaking of which. I saw at a match this weekend, someone used a different lot of Varget, and didn't work it back up. Well, she had 3 pierced primers out of first 4 shots. I was scoring for her. Well, after the 4th sighter, she couldn't open her bolt. Finally got it open, and noticed she had pierced primer. First time to ever see a pierced primer. Either way, she was out of competition for the day, and she was relay one, and only took 4 sighters. Long day for her since she still had to pull targets and score.

Moral of the story: if you change a component, or lot of powder, reduce and work back up, especially if you're near max load.