The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 13, 2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Ozzieman

Odd dent on 5.56 cases.

Odd dent on 5.56 cases.
A good friend just gave me 200 once fired cases. These are PMC and were new in the 20 round boxes so they were pristine when he shot them.
His gun is a new Bushmaster copy of the M4 and these were the first shot out of the gun.
The odd thing about the cases is that about 20% have these small but deep dents. When I asked him about the gun from what he said they were ejecting what I would consider normal and it was on grass so the chance of them hitting anything on the ground was very small.
This is not from the cases hitting the gun because most had the small dent from hitting the deflector just aft of the port.
Any one seen dents like this?
Thanks

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.

Last edited by Ozzieman; February 12, 2017 at 06:27 PM.
Old August 13, 2013, 07:11 PM   #2
Kimber84

Odd dent on 5.56 cases.

Probably the brass deflector smacking them on the receiver. Mine both do the same thing.

I've heard of ppl trimming the ejector spring to throw them more forward. Dunno though, never tried it and never cared that much, next firing they disappear and a new one shows up elsewhere on the case.
Old August 14, 2013, 12:59 AM   #3
Geezerbiker

There could also have been a piece of grit in the chamber that came out with that case.

Tony
Old August 14, 2013, 04:09 AM   #4
Metal god

if the dent is in the same place on all the cases i'd say there is something up . What that is , I really dont know . check the chamber for a bur or something esle . check around the ejection port area for something they might have been dinging off of . not sure I'd reload those . the walls are pretty thin up there .

keep us updated i'd like to know what you find out .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old August 14, 2013, 11:56 AM   #5
Rikakiah

I got 2 entire boxes of "new" Winchester ammo with dents pretty exactly like that on every round.
Old August 14, 2013, 02:31 PM   #6
Metal god

^^interesting^^

I would not think that would slip by QC but could happen . Maybe even more so with how hard it is to get ammo . They could be letting things get by that normally would not .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old August 14, 2013, 06:06 PM   #7
Ozzieman

Probably the brass deflector smacking
I don’t think so, many of the cases have the larger dent but much more shallow from the deflector. There is nothing on the deflector that will make a sharp dent like this.
piece of grit in the chamber
I would think that you would see some kind of stretching of the dent on the case from extraction. It could be your right but 20%?
if the dent is in the same place on all the cases
The dent is the same distance from the case mouth. I suggested that he fire a number of rounds dropping each in the chamber and mark the back of the case so he knows where the top of the case is on each firing.
You know, you guys just got me to thinking. What is the possibility that the case is hitting the deflector and some of them are rotating forward and hitting the small bar that sticks out from ether end of the ejection port cover??
As far as reloading them, rest assured they will end up in the scrap bucket.
Thanks for the great ideas.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old August 14, 2013, 06:37 PM   #8
Coach Z

I've seen some of my spent brass with a dent in that location but longer, I'd call that a dimple I guess. Have a look at the gun that he shot it from and the shell deflector as has been mentioned. Also if it is a carbine length gas tube that can make for a more violent ejection and lead to more heavily dented cases.
Old August 14, 2013, 07:41 PM   #9
Kimber84

Odd dent on 5.56 cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzieman View Post
As far as reloading them, rest assured they will end up in the scrap bucket.
Thanks for the great ideas.
Send them to me!
Old August 15, 2013, 01:30 AM   #10
Sierra280

Pretty sure it has nothing to do with the gun.

I think that is some sort of manufacturing mark on surplus ammo, it's more pronounced on some cases and not detectable on others. I went digging through my stash of plinkin' ammo, the one on the left is headstamped hp 76, the right is fnm 80-60. Again, not noticeable on all (or most) maybe in the ballpark of 10% +-5, I wasn't about to sort through it all.

I did not see any marks like this on the LC stuff or on the annealed SB ammo.

These are 7.62 BTW.

Aaarrrrggghhh, can't get picture to upload, will try again tomorrow, or would be happy to e-mail it to someone who knows what they are doing (apparently I don't)
Old August 15, 2013, 09:54 AM   #11
Sierra280

There we go
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (241.8 KB, 57 views)
Old August 15, 2013, 06:36 PM   #12
Ozzieman

Sierra280 thay are not as deep but it sure looks just like them.

Old August 15, 2013, 06:45 PM   #13
Sierra280

Same place too (on the fnm NATO ammo). It's worth noting all the fnm that has that is in the same place, other manufacture has it all on the same place too. What is the headstamp on the brass you are finding it on?

Edit-nevermind, you said pmc, sorry. Anyone else seen this??

Last edited by Sierra280; August 15, 2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old August 15, 2013, 07:45 PM   #14
Sierra280

Had a couple boxes of PMC bronze 147gr nato. same thing on 3-4 per box (about 20%).

Now I'm positive it is a manufacturing mark, as this stuff is less than a year old, new in box.
Old August 16, 2013, 12:21 AM   #15
sc928porsche

Usually dents in loaded ammo are straightened out when fired in the chamber. Sometimes you can get a little too much lube on the case when sizing and put "oil dents" in them. They disappear when when fired. Your cases are probably hitting something when extracted.
Old August 16, 2013, 12:38 AM   #16
Sierra280

I will try to post a pic tomorrow,the PMC ammo, like the NATO ammo, I've seen this mark on new, unfired ammo; definitely not the extractor. But once you blow it out, just full length size, fine to reload.

Last edited by Sierra280; August 16, 2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old August 16, 2013, 02:29 AM   #17
Geezerbiker

Those look like gunpowder dents from powder spilling in the loading machine.

Tony
Old August 18, 2013, 06:03 PM   #18
Hummer70

I suspect it is from a ejector rod knocking the loaded round out of loading machine. I wouldn't worry about them.
Cert Test Dir. Sm Arms and Ammo,Aberdeen Pr Ground, Firefighter I, AC4HT
Old August 19, 2013, 08:54 PM   #19
Buzzard Bait

Ground damage?

stepped on or damaged some way on the ground after it was ejected?
bb
Old August 19, 2013, 09:06 PM   #20
Ozzieman

Ground damage?
Possible but 20% of 200 and all within several thousandths of an inch below the case mouth doubt it.

Old August 19, 2013, 09:49 PM   #21
Sierra280

Did my pics not post??!! I have UNFIRED NATO ammo with the same mark, pretty much takes the ejector/extraction/chamber marks out of the equation. So we still don't have any answer. Except hummer70's theory.

Edit-I'm still not worried about it especially since its mostly berdan primed ammo (which I always bring but usually only shoot when there are brass scavengers at the range, lol)
Old August 21, 2013, 02:13 PM   #22
SteelChickenShooter

One way to test metal hardness is to apply measured force with a small ball then measure the diameter of the dent it makes. I wonder if that could be a possible answer?