The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 26, 2013, 02:34 PM   #1
Sinwithagrinn

Sporter or tactical?

This is a poll to see what most people prefer in a rifle. Do you like the tactical look and feel of the ar15, or a good ol semi auto hunting rifle? Or do you prefer an updated old military rifle that's a bit of both? If everything else is the same, what style do you like? For an example, compare a matte black 10/22 with an adjustable stock vs the standard wood stock with blued metal. It's just an open ended question.
Old February 26, 2013, 06:29 PM   #2
The Great Mahoo

Sporter or tactical?

I like both.

Interestingly, I find my opinion on which one I like more changes every now and then. I guess maybe I am just impressionable about certain things....
Old February 26, 2013, 07:53 PM   #3
allaroundhunter

I like both "tactical/functional" and classy.

I like my AR and my Remington 700 that is being worked up to be a more "tactical style" precision rifle, but I also like the nice wood and bluing found on a Winchester model 70.
Old February 26, 2013, 10:36 PM   #4
Sinwithagrinn

Tell all your friends to check out this thread too. It would be nice to get a lot of responses. I am asking these questions for some market analysis. I'm thinking about starting a firearm company in the next ten years or so. I've just started to lay out the basic concepts of a rifle that I'm going to design. Currently I'm a mechanical engineering student. All your input is appreciated, keep posting!
Old February 26, 2013, 10:43 PM   #5
shootniron

Are you planning to build a rifle that covers all of the bases in the original post? That will be a tall order. Good luck.

I like them all...just not all of the time. And, that is the reason that I have more than one gun.
Old February 26, 2013, 11:21 PM   #6
rwilson452

I have several rifles. Bambi gets a mod 70 in 30-06. Varmint get either a Savage BVSS in 243 or an FV in 22-250. My AR (m4 style) is just for fun.
Old February 26, 2013, 11:30 PM   #7
emcon5

Tactical is what you do, not what you buy.......
Old February 26, 2013, 11:31 PM   #8
trg42wraglefragle

I like the look of a hunting rifle with a target type scope and a bipod.
Basically what my Tikka is, I like to call it a varmint rifle instead of Tactical.

Other end of the spectrum I like an AI AWSM, and the look of a heavy 24" barrel AR15.
Old February 27, 2013, 12:12 AM   #9
ronl

I prefer the "tactical" because tactical is practical in my case. I prefer synth stocks, bipods, mil-dot ranging reticles, and fat barrels. My varmint rifle is an AR so I guess that's tactical, too. Just my preference. I love the looks of a beautiful walnut stocked, high gloss rifle, but I'd be afraid I might put a scratch on it. My rifles are tools and I view them as such. Accuracy, functionaity and dependability are paramount, looks falls far down on the list for me.
Old February 27, 2013, 08:33 AM   #10
Sinwithagrinn

Emcon5, Im defining the term "tactical" as in the styling that consists of parkerized metal, composite stock, and a matte finish overall. "Tactical" rifles also have all sorts of rails to attach items to, and often have adjustable stocks. For example, the AR15, M4 carbine, etc. mostly your modern military firearms.
I'm defining "sporter" as a blued rifle with a wood or possibly a synthetic stock. No rails for mounting anything other than a scope. They usually have non adjustable stocks but if the stock is adjustable, it's a target stock. For this category, think of your .22 rifles, Winchester lever actions, bolt action rifles and semi autos. Basically all the guns that were made for civilian use.
Somebody also pointed out a third category, sporterized or just standard old military rifles. This could be like an old M1 carbine, sks, maybe the ak47 platform too. These rifles share the styling of both.
Old February 27, 2013, 12:43 PM   #11
L_Killkenny

I used to be ardently opposed to anything tacticool, especially in .22's. Over the years I've softened considerably and even though about getting an AR styled .22 last year but couldn't bring my self to spend the extra coin for only "the look". BUT....... I haven't ever had a problem spending more money on a nicer sporter look.

Another example of my preference would be the Mini-14 vs. AR. It appears that Ruger improved the Mini a few years ago. Accuracy wise is it on par with the average AR? I honestly don't know but I'm guessing it isn't quite there. Being said for the same money out of my pocket I'd take a 1.5 MOA Mini Ranch over a 1 MOA AR. No the Mini doesn't have the aftermarket support of the AR and yes it's mags are less available and more expensive (not counting the craziness of the last couple months) but still on the looks, handling and feel level I prefer the Mini.

Guess you could say I'm not in the tactical camp.
Old March 1, 2013, 09:07 AM   #12
stubbicatt

You know, as I read this something occurred to me about the attitudes of folks as reflected in the choices they make in firearms.

Myself, I prefer conventional, non pistol grip, wood stocked, bolt actioned firearms. I own some semi autos, but again, my preferences are for wood stocks and conventional grips. I think the tactical crowd would call me a Fudd.

Tactical I think generally appeals to the younger guys, or guys who fancy themselves GI Joe or something. There are folks who buy what I perceive as specialty or specialized firearms, such as 3 gun guys, or position shooters, who in competition wish to have the best tool for the job, and their firearms sort of bridge the gap between tactical and sporting, perhaps.

Again though, to me, firearms are neat feats of engineering and manufacturing, functional works of art. They are for recreation and pleasure. There are those for whom firearms are serious tools for serious work, and I am glad I am not one of those folks.
Old March 1, 2013, 09:32 AM   #13
Sinwithagrinn

I thought there may be a correlation between age and styling. I'm not sure that it's as big as most people think (at least for now). I posted this question on another site and found that: people like spotters for thier beauty. People like tactical style weapons for their versitality as well as for thier durability. Age didn't seem to make too much of a difference because I had them also include age and the kind of work they do. Although it's a different crowd, the people on y*hoo answers mostly liked sporters, regardless of age. However, I think this will change not too long in the future. There are so many shoot em up video games that only show tactical style firearms. In particular, the call of duty series has deals with firearm companies that include their branding on the firearms. This is actually excellent marketing to kids but also to adults as well. The average age of video gamers is 30 something.
Old March 1, 2013, 09:35 AM   #14
Sinwithagrinn

But you do raise an excellent point, firearms are works of art. That is something that gun manufacturers probably don't consider too much when designing something new (with some exceptions).