The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 10, 2000, 12:29 PM   #1
Jake 98c/11b

I have been thinking of turning a Remington model 7 into a Scout but I would like to be able to load with stripper clips like I do with my M1A. Three questions come to mind; is it practical, who can do it and what will it cost in time and money?
Old November 10, 2000, 12:58 PM   #2
Strayhorn

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jake 98c/11b:
Three questions come to mind; is it practical, who can do it and what will it cost in time and money?[/quote]

1. Depends on your definition of "practical".

2. Iron Brigade Armory does these conversions.
http://www.ironbrigadearmory.com/

3. It's expensive (about $300 last I checked). Remember, you're milling hardened steel - and it has to be done right the first time else you warp the receiver.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC

Old November 10, 2000, 07:11 PM   #3
BOLTGUNZRUL

This is a rather simple mod for most highpower riflesmiths. Jim Cloward in the Seattle are does this for a little over $100. Give him a call. (206)632-2072
Old November 11, 2000, 10:18 PM   #4
Jake 98c/11b

Strayhorn, talked with Norm Chandler already, they will only do the 700 not the 7. As he explained it, it isn't really to be used for stripperclips, Its for the Ross scope mount, there is a lug on the underside of the mount that slots into the receiver to prevent the mount from shifting under recoil. I have spoken with Mr Chandler a time or two, a friend has two of his rifles, and he couldnt think of anyone when I last asked him. I will check out Mr Cloward and see what he has to say, I definately want it done right the first time. I like the scout concept but I would prefer loading by stripper clips over a detachable mag.
Old November 12, 2000, 03:47 PM   #5
BOLTGUNZRUL

Jim Cloward will do it right, I have seen much of his work. One thing that might be a problem with the #7 is the short length of the reciever bridge. Might work though. Good luck