The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 3, 2010, 05:19 AM   #1
Telgriff

The uge to hunt but nowhere to go

Hey all,

Lately I have had an increasing desire to hunt, to be out in the open, feel the rifle on my back or in my hands, to look for those rabbits and foxes. My problem is I can't find anyone or anywhere to do it. I live in a country town in southern NSW (Monaro), but the people with properties I know either wont allow hunting or have neighbours who kick up a stink if they hear a gunshot despite the property being a few hundred acres.

I need somewhere to go, but I dont have my R license (to be able to hunt in national parks) and I am wondering if there is anyone in Australia who has some suggestions on what I can do to help me get out there and enjoy hunting.
Old October 3, 2010, 04:40 PM   #2
Wrothgar

I have the same problem in Texas. Unless you own land or have the money to spend on a lease, you're SOL.
Old October 3, 2010, 08:09 PM   #3
(BH)

Yup, check me in as one of the want-to-but-nowhere-to-go-and-nobody-to-go-with guys. It sucks doesn't it?

My whole family hunts, but they live 12 hrs away. When I was young, I didn't take advantage of the fact that I was down there all the time with people who would've loved nothing more than to take me hunting. Now, I want to go so bad, but don't have any connections to the sport. I have basically everything I need to go, but I'm just a broke young father with no hopes of buying a lease.

Hopefully by next year I can find someone to take me out with them and show me the ropes. (kicks dirt and sighs)

It matters not how a man dies, but how he lives. The act of dying is not of importance, it lasts so short a time.
-Samuel Johnson
Old October 3, 2010, 08:32 PM   #4
mitchell koster

Telgriff,

Our family does alot of hunting in Central NSW. Near Coonabarabran. How far are you willing to travel?

I'm in Tassie but there are alot of other Aussies on this site that have connections.

MK
Old October 3, 2010, 09:19 PM   #5
RWBlue01

I have the same problem, but even more so.

Sounds to me like you will be hunting on public land.
I don't even have that option where I am.
Old October 4, 2010, 03:01 AM   #6
Telgriff

Mitchell: Coonabarabran is a 9 hour drive from me unfortunately. I am about 4 hours from the Victorian Border.
Old October 4, 2010, 08:52 AM   #7
Rifleman1776

Where to hunt is not the problem in my area. We have a nice National Forest less than an hour from my home.
My problem, at age 72, is getting into and out of the steep rugged country we have here. I used to use my old Polaris ATV but the trails have been shut off to those. Even the old logging trails are closed to off-road vehicles. I can still hike mighty fine. But, here in the Ozarks, going 'in' means going downhill and coming back 'out' means uphill and that is mighty tough. Especially when one may be trying to drag a dead deer at the same time.
Cardiac arrest is the number one killer of hunters in North America, by a long ways ahead of #2, whatever that is. When I die, I want to be with loved ones and buzzards ain't them.