The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 28, 2015, 12:15 PM   #1
Fusion

Simmons 44 Mag Scopes

Has anyone used one of the newer Simmons 44 Mag scopes? I realize they are made in China, but I've had decent luck with some scopes made in China. I had an old Japanese made 44 Mag that failed so I sent it into Simmons. They sent me a new "Chinese" made one. So other than the shipping I don't really have anything into this scope at all. I'm just wondering if I should give it a shot or stick it online for sale.
Old March 1, 2015, 12:40 AM   #2
Hook686

A wise man once said, 'If you can ask the question, you already have most of the answer'. What have you decided to do. If you use it, post your review please.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old March 1, 2015, 08:40 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

My only experience with the 44 Mag was with a 1997 vintage. Worked very well.
Old March 1, 2015, 09:26 AM   #4
Mobuck

The older 44 MAG scopes may(?) have been made in Philippines and were better than the current batch made in China. I no longer buy Simmons scopes after a couple of unsavory experiences. Bushnell Banner scopes are decent low priced scopes.
Old March 1, 2015, 12:42 PM   #5
Huffmanite

Own two of the 44 mag scopes. Think both are the 6-21x44. One is a few years old, bought from Natchez, and other was bought about 4 months ago from Midway. Oldest was made when Meade owned Simmons and other when Bushnell owned it. Pretty sure both were made in China. Also own several of the higher power (18X or higher) Simmons Pro Hunter models made when Meade owned Simmons. These were bought from Natchez too when Bushnell discontinued much of the Pro Hunter line and prices were reduced. They are decent scopes and I have no complaints about them.

Anyway, my older one has clearer glass than the newer one. Just can't focus the newer ones optics as well. Turrets and etc. work OK in both and they hold zero. All of my Simmons scopes have been on a number of mild to mid recoiling rifles, such as a 257R to 30-06.

Personally, I'd try out your Simmons 44 Mag before making a decision to sell it.
Old March 3, 2015, 08:34 PM   #6
Will-j

Simmons 44 Mag

Fusion; I've used several Simmons scopes... as far back as the early 80s....44 Mags included, and most were O K. One 44 Mag wouldn't focus no matter what I tried except when I turned the scope 45*off-center and then it was in perfect focus.

When I notified Simmons(Bushnell), they seemed as if they couldn't care less. The scope now lies in the junk box and Simmons scopes are out of the picture. But.... To Each His/Her Own.

WILL
Old March 3, 2015, 09:07 PM   #7
98 220 swift

I have several Simmons scopes. The $100 ones from midway seems to be good scopes for the money. I also have a 6.5x20 44 mag that is at least 10 years old. I had it on a rather hard kicking savage 7 rem mag. It broke. I sent it in and they fixed it. It has now been on my ar for many years with no problems at all.