The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 18, 2013, 10:04 PM   #1
cje1980

Beretta 92FS D spring mod

I don't know why I waited so long to do this. I bought a brand new Beretta 92FS 9 years ago and its been a phenomenal pistol. Dead on reliable and very accurate.

I've put about 5,000 rounds on it and decided to start replacing some springs. I swapped out the trigger bar spring, trigger spring, recoil spring and decided to swap out the regular mainspring for the D spring.

WOW!!! It feels like a totally different gun now. I always thought the standard DA trigger pull was long, heavy, and awkward. Now it feels like a nice broken-in DA revolver. Pretty amazing.
Old March 19, 2013, 09:04 AM   #2
IZinterrogator

I've done that to both my personal Berettas and my issued Beretta. A tip if you have the metal trigger: Get the Wolff trigger spring unit that the INS uses, but get the reduced power one. You end up with about a 3.5-4 lb. single action pull and a 8-9 lb. double action pull.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old March 19, 2013, 09:15 AM   #3
ClydeFrog

David Olhasso...

If you own a M9/92F/96F series or a PX4 Beretta model, a good resource is match shooter/pistolsmith; David Olhasso: www.olhasso.com .

His site has many parts, services, etc.

I always liked the D line. I owned a PX4 C format 9x19mm & 2 96D series pistols.

I may buy a NIB PX4 D model .40 soon.

ClydeFrog
Old March 19, 2013, 12:55 PM   #4
Pilot

I installed the D spring and Elite II skeletonized hammer right after buying my new Italian made 92FS. Even with the silly roll pin, which I replaced with the American "dog bone" style pin, it was a BREEZE. You're right. The DA pull was lightened considerably, and the SA is better as well. No reliability issues have occurred either.
Old March 19, 2013, 01:44 PM   #5
Dragline45

Quote:
I installed the D spring and Elite II skeletonized hammer right after buying my new Italian made 92FS. Even with the silly roll pin, which I replaced with the American "dog bone" style pin, it was a BREEZE. You're right. The DA pull was lightened considerably, and the SA is better as well. No reliability issues have occurred either.
I have an M9A1 on layaway I should be picking up next week and already ordered a D spring. Was thinking about the Elite II skeletonized hammer you mentioned also but worry about light primer strikes even though they say it is alright to run both together. When the mainspring gets a bit weak or you encounter some harder primers I would rather have the heavier hammer for reliability. Can anyone comment on if the skeletonized hammer actually does anything besides aesthetics?
Old March 19, 2013, 02:31 PM   #6
Pilot

I read up a lot before doing the D spring and Elite II hammer, a lot of info is available on the Beretta Forum. There does not seem to be incidents of unreliability with pairing these two mods. The lighter hammer should theoretically reduce lock time.
Old March 19, 2013, 02:52 PM   #7
ChrisTx

I did the D spring after I first got my 92FS several years ago. I wish I'd known about it even before that. I had a 96FS that had a beastly heavy trigger pull.

The only other thing I have done to mine was add the metal recoil rod.