The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 23, 2006, 11:42 AM   #1

870 Police; wood vs synthetic

Greetings. This is harder than I thought. Found some outstanding prices (Kevin Wells) on 870Ps and now it's the kid in a candy store syndrome.

I've got a synthetic stocked 870P (speed feed w/out stock mag tubes). For those who have a wood 870P, is there a noticable difference in weight or handling compared to the synthetic stock? I see that the wood stocks don't have checkering and the forearm on the synthetic seems to have a more aggresive grip than the wood.

Remington LE customer service said that depending on the moisture content of the wood, they will be approximately 1/2 lb heavier. Not something I wanted to hear.

Old March 23, 2006, 04:58 PM   #2
Death from Afar

1/2 lb seems a bit excessive. Apart from Aethetics, I would stick with synthetic. Wood is too easy to get banged up.
Old March 23, 2006, 05:42 PM   #3
Twycross

I'm a fan of the synthetic stocks. They are lighter, and more durable. Also, I find them a little easier to grip than wood, but thats just me.

And wood just doesn't have that evil tacticool feeling.
Old March 23, 2006, 07:15 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

One reason for the heavier wood stocked gun, is the usual Remington synthetic stock is HOLLOW and simply weights less.

It all depends on whether you want the durability and water proof synthetic, or the "warmer" feel and appearance of genuine American walnut.

The walnut does scratch and can be damaged by water.
Scratches can be sanded out and the stock refinished when the stock gets ratty looking.

Synthetic can't really have scratches sanded out satisfactorily, and the stock makes a hollow "THONK" sound when bumped, but it's very tough, and is cheap to replace.

Comes down to personal preference.
Old March 23, 2006, 08:17 PM   #5
Logs

I like the wood for looks, but have noticed the composites feel lighter and hold up better to abuse.

Comes down to what feels better to you, they should both get the job done.
Old March 23, 2006, 09:38 PM   #6
TCman

I would get the wood just because it is heavier. That extra weight will help with recoil and a follow up shot. If you get the synthetic stock you could always put some weight in it.
Old March 28, 2006, 02:56 AM   #7
Death from Afar

My 870 P is synthetic. It does seem to have more recoil with slugs and buck then my wooden wingmaster , but heck, A few bruises never hurt anyone...
Old March 28, 2006, 08:02 AM   #8
sthrnfryedyankee

speaking of synthetic stocks

does anyone know where I can get just a regular oem synthetic forend for a remington 870
Old March 28, 2006, 08:54 AM   #9
rhoffler

I have a 870 with synthetic stock that i use for dove skeet and sporting claysI shoot this gun in bad and good weather and dont worry about it if it's raining i oil it down and let it go If you wan't a gun to show go wood if you want one to work well? Skeet are not hard to break just easy to miss
Old March 28, 2006, 08:59 AM   #10
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Wood, unless you know for a fact the synthetic stock fits you. The synthetic stock is much harder to alter.

Wood IS heavier. Not a bad thing. My HD 870 evolved over half a decade and weighs close to 10 lbs. What kick? It has a little mass added to the stock to offset the weight of the extension and extra rounds.

Turns like a cutting horse...
Old March 28, 2006, 02:02 PM   #11
webbee

You can get rid of the "Thonk" if you fill the cavity with expanding foam. Just make sure you use the light duty foam, so it doesn't over-expand and screw up the stock. You must put a piece of greased sprinkler pipe through to the bolt, so that bolt removal doesn't become a problem. Remove the tube when the foam sets. Easy job.
Old March 28, 2006, 03:25 PM   #12
Dfariswheel

sthrnfryedyankee:

You can buy Remington OEM fore ends direct from Remington, AND:
http://www.brownells.com/ (Look under the tab at the top for "Factory Gun parts).

http://www.e-gunparts.com/

There are two basic types of OEM fore ends, the Police and the Sporting.

The Police is shorter to allow using side saddles and so the gun can be loaded and unloaded through the magazine, and has grooves as gripping aids.

The Sporting is longer and has commercial-type checkering